Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2018: Your Year in Review:

  1. #1
    UNbelievably Awesome Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    326

    Icon15 2018: Your Year in Review:

    Eighteen questions about your 2018!

    I don’t know about y’all, but my 2018 was all kinds of emotional. One might even compare it to something akin to a roller coaster. So I wanna know all about you an your 2018. Feel free to skip any questions below you don’t feel comfortable sharing with, ya know, the whole of the Interwebs.

    1. Who is the person you admired most in 2018?
    2. When did you say to yourself, “I’m fuckin’ awesome” in 2018?
    3. Where is your favorite place you visited or traveled to in 2018?
    4. When did you stand up and cheer in 2018?
    5. How did you improve something in 2018? (It can be something about you, your family, community, or the world in general)
    6. Favorite meme of 2018? (Pic please!)
    7. Your favorite catch phrase of 2018?
    8. What news story got you right in the feels in 2018? (Link please!)
    9. Favorite restaurant to eat at (or order take away from) in 2018?
    10. Favorite expletive you liked to say in 2018?
    11. Favorite adult beverage of 2018?
    12. What new snack did you discover this year?
    13. Favorite guilty pleasure of 2018?
    14. Favorite moment of nostalgia you experienced in 2018?
    15. When did you comfort someone who needed it in 2018?
    16. Who is someone that comforted you in 2018?
    17. What’s the most beautiful thing you saw in 2018?
    18. What’s one thing you are definitely looking forward to happening in 2019?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jezebelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,472
    I went to more funerals this year than I have in my whole life. One was for my father, which was expected yet sad, and the other was my sister, which was sudden, shocking and incredibly tragic. I found myself drinking more and honestly wondering if I had a problem. I got my shit together in the last few months and feel much healthier. My job and career is good, my marriage is fine, my kids are loud and feral but healthy, but my family of origin suffered some tremendous losses. So I'm looking forward to 2019; even though I suspect I'll have to bury my mom.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

  3. #3
    Sleeps to dream entropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    not sure
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelle View Post
    I went to more funerals this year than I have in my whole life. One was for my father, which was expected yet sad, and the other was my sister, which was sudden, shocking and incredibly tragic. I found myself drinking more and honestly wondering if I had a problem. I got my shit together in the last few months and feel much healthier. My job and career is good, my marriage is fine, my kids are loud and feral but healthy, but my family of origin suffered some tremendous losses. So I'm looking forward to 2019; even though I suspect I'll have to bury my mom.
    I am very sorry for your losses.

    January - May were pretty good. I found myself happy and fulfilled. I was doing great in all aspects of life really. The low point was when I found out my cat had kidney disease. The high point was my trip to Madrid. I felt so comfortable and free. I know the city well, so I explored openly without fear. I wasn't afraid to strike up a conversation in my second language, which felt great. I also did in impromptu half-marathon and saw a live show.

    But after coming home I have hit of depression and existential anxiety. Will I be forced to work part time for the rest of my life with a two week break every year, so I can take care of a special needs child that soon will be a dependent adult? My grandma passed away in October. That was hard. We weren't on the best terms for several years before she started suffering from dementia. Guilt. Watching my dad deal with guilt for having placed her in residential care, etc.

    I am 44. Will I ever enjoy life again?
    Writing this actually helped with some perspective taking!

    Something light hearted is a "guilty pleasure" of mine recently is Metallica. :/
    Last edited by entropy; 12-31-2018 at 01:39 AM.

  4. #4
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,776

  5. #5
    Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Snarkletown
    Posts
    3,381
    There was sickness, loss, death.
    My grandma passed away at an old age, and looking at her lifeless body made me feel so very sad - because all I could see looking at her remains was missed opportunity. She was never nice to me, my brother or my mother (her daughter in law), and why? Because my mother had her own mother carry my brother into the church for baptism or something silly like that. What kind of stupid reason is that for lifetime resentment. And whatever had I to do with it, I wasn't even born. Should I have done something to improve our relationship? I don't know, maybe.
    Anyway. On the other side of the family there was more cancer. My cousin took ill with a weird disease in her brain, which turned out to be cancer originating in her skin. Eventually it spread to her lower back and she suffered a horrible, painful death because her physician thought it better for the children not to opt for euthanasia. The situation got so bad that her sister and friends contemplated the worst things to end her suffering towards the end. Fortunately, she was able to spend her last weeks at home, because she was a nurse herself and had loving colleagues - who took off of work to care for her there.
    And just last night, somebody got shot (literally) in front of my door. Luckily, I wasn't at home. He appears to be a rapper enjoying some fame =(. http://www.tellerreport.com/life/--r...HkoQdlKZE.html

    There was love. My niece is growing up so fast, and my brother and his wife are now expecting a second child. Also, I've been in the most healthy relationship I've ever been in for more than two years now. Because he is a borderline closet case, we held off family introductions until this Christmas. It felt very validating.

    There was work. The long workdays are finally starting to pay off for real. Investing in artificial intelligence and the results with it so far has resulted in a significant personal financial bonus for me, granted higher management - the first time ever in my life to get that sort of gratification or acknowledgement in a business really. Very satisfying.

    There were guilty pleasures. Games. I've been playing some games way more than I should, like Pokémon Let's Go, Starlink, Splatoon 2 and Smash Bros. Television. The type of show I currently enjoy most are dramatizations of history; like Black sails, Reign, the Crown, the Paradise, Anne with an E... all of them I binge watch in long sittings, ignoring the outside world, not being able to let go for a few moments (lol).

    Bring it on 2019.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

  6. #6
    Sleeps to dream entropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    not sure
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    My grandma passed away at an old age, and looking at her lifeless body made me feel so very sad - because all I could see looking at her remains was missed opportunity. She was never nice to me, my brother or my mother (her daughter in law), and why? Because my mother had her own mother carry my brother into the church for baptism or something silly like that. What kind of stupid reason is that for lifetime resentment. And whatever had I to do with it, I wasn't even born. Should I have done something to improve our relationship? I don't know, maybe.
    I am sorry for your losses.

    I have put a lot of thought into family relationships because there are few that are complicated in my own family. I think about the part that I bolded all the time. We are at most only 50% responsible for any relationship. And when these relationships begin in our childhood with an adult we are far, far less responsible...if at all. Well this is what I tell myself anyway.

    Anne with an E is amazing!!!

  7. #7
    Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Snarkletown
    Posts
    3,381
    THnx Entropy, am sorry for your loss too. It really sucks that you never got a resolution while she was still alive.

    With friendships, it is easier somehow, because you sort of choose most of your friends. They usually start out quite reciprocal and may turn into unconditional love. The reciprocity doesn't have to be exactly equal, it just has to 'feel' right.

    Now, my parents, brother and me support each other unconditionally, always. It is a kind of a safetynet that I suppose a family should be, and I am so blessed with them. If one needs help with something, we give it, and expect absolutely nothing in return, because we know the same would be done the other way around. But with almost all other family members it is an exact opposite. They only want atttention and money without consideration, without ever even asking a simple "how are you". I guess it often just takes a long time too distinguish between people that genuinely care about you and people that only use you for their own needs.


    Btw, you mentioned that after coming home from your trip you went into a depression and existential anxiety. Do you think the trip or the contrasts with your daily life is partially what triggered it? The worst cases of depression in my own life have always started towards the end of a trip or right after coming home.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

  8. #8
    Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,782
    Buh FUCKING Bye 2018. Not a great mental health year for me. Whether it's age/life stage related, brain chemicals, wiring, nature, nurture, some of these, all of these, or other than these, the last couple of years, and 2018 especially, were just brutally hard for me on an emotional level. I'm taking steps to get better and journaling about my experience as a way to remain mindful and purposeful in my journey in this silly little blog. So I welcome 2019 from that perspective. Onto the questions...

    4. When did you stand up and cheer in 2018? When a whole bunch of shitbag Republicans and bad initiatives were resoundingly shot down all over the USA in the midterms.
    10. Favorite expletive you liked to say in 2018? FUCK and GODDAMNIT!
    13. Favorite guilty pleasure of 2018? Weed and several YouTube channels (Garden Answer, Instrument Maniac, Jenny Nichols, various ASMR channels...)
    15. When did you comfort someone who needed it in 2018? My friend, who is going through a terrible divorce, raising teenagers, and managing and supporting an aging parent whose health is tanking
    16. Who is someone that comforted you in 2018? Myra, Noel, Colin... real friends through and through. Thank god for the support of friends.
    18. What’s one thing you are definitely looking forward to happening in 2019? Turning 40! (In April) Though I can't wrap my head around that number (how? when? say what?!), my 30s have run their course, and I am embracing this number as a new stage, a new platform, a new jumping off point... new possibilities...

    It's kind of a funny coincidence, but I know so many people who struggled mightily in 2018 and recognize it as a not great year. And I think I am reading more of that here in some of your posts. I wish for us all a good 2019 that is affirming, positive, productive, and joyful.

  9. #9
    Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,782
    sorry/ double post

  10. #10
    Sleeps to dream entropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    not sure
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    THnx Entropy, am sorry for your loss too. It really sucks that you never got a resolution while she was still alive.
    Thank you! I am learning that sometimes there is no neat resolution. My grandma wasn't one for displays of emotion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    With friendships, it is easier somehow, because you sort of choose most of your friends. They usually start out quite reciprocal and may turn into unconditional love. The reciprocity doesn't have to be exactly equal, it just has to 'feel' right.
    Exactly! Balanced doesn't have to 50/50. I suck a friendships however.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Now, my parents, brother and me support each other unconditionally, always. It is a kind of a safetynet that I suppose a family should be, and I am so blessed with them. If one needs help with something, we give it, and expect absolutely nothing in return, because we know the same would be done the other way around. But with almost all other family members it is an exact opposite. They only want atttention and money without consideration, without ever even asking a simple "how are you". I guess it often just takes a long time too distinguish between people that genuinely care about you and people that only use you for their own needs.
    I am happy that you have that with your parents and brother. I feel like I have it with my mom, sister, and husband. My husband is pretty much the best person on the planet in my eyes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Btw, you mentioned that after coming home from your trip you went into a depression and existential anxiety. Do you think the trip or the contrasts with your daily life is partially what triggered it? The worst cases of depression in my own life have always started towards the end of a trip or right after coming home.
    The contrast with my daily life absolutely! My day to day life is absurd. On my trip, I felt so actualized. It was grand. I am usually good with break that it offers.

  11. #11
    UNbelievably Awesome Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    326

    Cool 2018

    1. Who is the person you admired most in 2018? My friend Tim managed to pull off some pretty spectacular stuff this year both professionally (as a small business owner) and personally (as a husband, father, and friend) that really made me think of him as admirable.

    2. When did you say to yourself, “I’m fuckin’ awesome” in 2018? When Stan “The Man” Lee autographed my copy of Fantastic Four #46.

    3. Where is your favorite place you visited or traveled to in 2018? I was fortunate enough to do a lot of traveling this year. My favorite new place was Reykjavik.

    4. When did you stand up and cheer in 2018? When the Saints destroyed the previously undefeated Rams in the Dome. Who dat!

    5. How did you improve something in 2018? Modesty prevents me from going in to details.

    6. Favorite meme of 2018? Neck Guy memes by far gave me the most enjoyment. Just picked this one because it also includes the greatest thing to come outta Canada since maple syrup.



    7. Your favorite catch phrase of 2018? Ferda!

    8. What news story got you right in the feels in 2018? One particular story does not come to mind. However, here are 99 good things that went own in 2018. I’m sure there are at least one or two on there to give you feels.

    9. Favorite restaurant to eat at (or order take away from) in 2018? For dine-in a local place called Drago’s— I recommend lobster mac and charbroiled oysters—and Taco Bell (Only God can judge me!) for drive thru.

    10. Favorite expletive you liked to say in 2018? Fucking asshole!

    11. Favorite adult beverage of 2018? Vodka mixed with whatever is handy or beer.

    12. What new snack did you discover this year? Lotus Biscoff. Apparently they’ve been around forever but I only just discovered them. Tea time game changer.

    13. Favorite guilty pleasure of 2018? I watched so much YouTube this year. Too much? Likely.

    14. Favorite moment of nostalgia you experienced in 2018? Watching the 1989 Tim Burton BATMAN in the cinema.

    15. When did you comfort someone who needed it in 2018? Some bad stuff went down in October of this year for my family (same month in 2017 also sucked hard) and there was much need of comfort all around.

    16. Who is someone that comforted you in 2018? My two best friends really stepped up for me this year.

    17. What’s the most beautiful thing you saw in 2018? Smiles.

    18. What’s one thing you are definitely looking forward to happening in 2019? Continuing to form better habits…and the last season of Game of Thrones.
    Last edited by Crispy; 01-06-2019 at 03:56 AM. Reason: link

  12. #12
    Sleeps to dream entropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    not sure
    Posts
    2,527
    So, I was going to start a thread a few weeks back asking who's still around. I think this thread answered that!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •