Thread: 2018 Year in Review: Entertainment Edition

Question 2018 Year in Review: Entertainment Edition

Eighteen questions about your year in entertainment.

1. What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2018?
    2. Favorite musical artist of 2018?
    3. What song did you hit “repeat” on the most in 2018?
    4. Favorite book and/or comic you read in 2018?
    5. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2018?
    6. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2018?
    7. Favorite animated series of 2018?
    8. Favorite animated film of 2018?
    9. Favorite documentary of 2018?
    10. Favorite comedy film of 2018?
    11. Favorite action and/or sci-fi film of 2018?
    12. Favorite drama and/or romance film of 2018?
    13. Favorite video game of 2018?
    14. Favorite YouTube channel in 2018?
    15. What’s your favorite/most used app on your smartphone in 2018?
    16. Who is the one entertainer that died in 2018 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)
    17. What was your 2018 like as depicted in emojis or a single .gif?
    18. What entertainment experience (concert, film, TV show, game, etc.) are you most looking forward to in 2019?

I was looking forward to your thread as always, @Crispy!

1. What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2018?
    The Maids by Genet at the Greek Art Theatre was extraordinary.

Every year I get worse at keeping up with new music, I'm afraid. I'm going to go with Gaga, just because she made a comeback for the ages.

Suspirium - Thom Yorke

Circe by Madeline Miller, who is fast becoming one of the greatest writers working today.

I loved Homecoming. Hadn't listened to the original podcast, but the show was thrilling from beginning to end, and Roberts killed it.

The only show I watched week-to-week was The Good Place, which has been rather disappointing this year. I did love Sorry for Your Loss, which came out in several parts on FB Watch, so I'll go with that.

Disenchantment was so much fun.

Isle of Dogs

They'll Love Me When I'm Dead

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Bad Times at the El Royale

Cold War

I haven't played any video games, someone needs to recommend a good one to me ASAP.

I can't stop watching Jenny Nicholson's videos.

Spotify, always.

16. Who is the one entertainer that died in 2018 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)
    I wouldn't bring anyone back, but Stan Lee's passing hit the hardest.

18. What entertainment experience (concert, film, TV show, game, etc.) are you most looking forward to in 2019?
    The BBC's His Dark Materials series.
    Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 12-30-2018 at 03:28 PM.

1. What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2018? Tie: Neko Case at the Beacon in NYC, Three Tall Women on Broadway
    2. Favorite musical artist of 2018? I'm going to go with Kacey Musgraves. I loved lots of new music by artists who I already adored this year (Beach House, Neko, Janelle Monae), but I had never heard a note of Kacey's music before 2018 and fell in love with Golden Hour.
    3. What song did you hit “repeat” on the most in 2018? Tie: "All the Stars" by Kendrick Lamar and SZA and "Parking Lot Pirouette" by Amanda Shires
    4. Favorite book and/or comic you read in 2018? Less by Andrew Sean Greer
    5. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2018? Killing Eve
    6. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2018? Sharp Objects and Ru Paul, any of the iterations. Those are the only shows my partner and I tried to watch the nights they actually aired.
    7. Favorite animated series of 2018? Big Mouth
    8. Favorite animated film of 2018? Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    9. Favorite documentary of 2018? I'm not sure I saw any that were released this year! I saw and liked Faces Places, but I think that was 2017.
    10. Favorite comedy film of 2018? Tully (not purely a comedy, I realize, but I'm not sure exactly how to classify it)
    11. Favorite action and/or sci-fi film of 2018? Annihilation
    12. Favorite drama and/or romance film of 2018? The Favourite (not purely a drama, I realize, but I'm not sure exactly how to classify it)
    13. Favorite video game of 2018? I don't play any video games.
    14. Favorite YouTube channel in 2018? I don't follow any Youtube channels.
    15. What’s your favorite/most used app on your smartphone in 2018? Instagram.
    18. What entertainment experience (concert, film, TV show, game, etc.) are you most looking forward to in 2019? Robyn at Madison Square Garden! Also looking forward to the second season of Big Little Lies and Gloria with Julianne Moore. With albums, I'm not sure there's anything that's been officially announced that I'm salivating over (although I'm looking forward to the new Sharon Van Etten, and I think that has an actual release date).
    Last edited by sleeptheclock; 12-31-2018 at 09:58 PM.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    1. What was your favorite live event (concert, sporting event, play, festival, convention, etc.) you attended in 2018? Ruston Kelly at Z-Bar. Many reasons one being that it felt like one degree of separation from Kasey Musgraves whom I'll be seeing January 9th in Indianapolis, second that he was really good, and third it was just across the street from my bf's apartment.

2. Favorite musical artist of 2018? Kasey Musgraves

3. What song did you hit “repeat” on the most in 2018? I feel like the Golden Hour was always just on one large repeat.

4. Favorite book and/or comic you read in 2018? Book released this year: Sea Prayer by Khaled Hosseini. It's a book you can read in 10 minutes and it's mostly about the beautiful artwork but there is a passage when the wife says something like "How could they not want you? If they knew only half your talent." OH it broke my heart to read that. His stuff always breaks my heart.
    ***They Both Die in the End by Adam Silvera was my favorite book, tho. I think that was released last year but it was new to me this year. And I read it twice. I also read Love, Simon twice. I used to re-read books a lot back in the day.. not so much now.

5. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2018? The Bodyguard NETFLIX

6. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2018? The Real Housewives of NYC. Don't judge me.

7. Favorite animated series of 2018? I have no clue.

8. Favorite animated film of 2018? There was animation in Guardians of the Galaxy right?

9. Favorite documentary of 2018? The one Netflix did on Quincy Jones and honorable mention to NRBG

10. Favorite comedy film of 2018? I think Alex Strangelove on NETFLIX

11. Favorite action and/or sci-fi film of 2018? Action: Widows Sci-fi: Does Halloween count? if not I actually really liked Annihilation.

12. Favorite drama and/or romance film of 2018? It's a tie between Love, Simon and A Star is Born.

13. Favorite video game of 2018? There were a couple sports games I liked. Can't remember them, tho.

14. Favorite YouTube channel in 2018? Jeffree Star

15. What’s your favorite/most used app on your smartphone in 2018? I'm just going to say having a new smartphone where I could actually experience apps. That was never a priority to me before.

16. Who is the one entertainer that died in 2018 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) Stan Lee. Oh, a world without Stan Lee..

https://media1.tenor.com/images/a8b1...5874/tenor.gif

18. What entertainment experience (concert, film, TV show, game, etc.) are you most looking forward to in 2019? Kasey Musgraves, Game of Thrones and hopefully season 2 of the OA, The Kentucky Derby, hopefully a new album from Tracy Chapman (I dream of it every year) the new Game of Thrones book (yea right), Captain Marvel, I mean.. there is so much stuff!!
    Last edited by Volta; 12-31-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Smile My turn...

Jazz Fest 2018 in New Orleans I was lucky enough to see Aerosmith and Better Than Ezra put on great shows. (Close second was Saints vs Rams in the Superdome.)

I kinda hate to admit this, but if I'm going to pick a new artist (or one that was new to me in 2018) then it’s probably Post Malone. Otherwise it'd be Queen.

“High Hopes” by Panic! At The Disco was easily my number one. I also went through phases with “Shallow” and “Middle.”

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaimen for my book and Saga issue #54 for my comic book.

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S1 (Star Trek Discovery S1 is a very close second.)

The Good Place S2 & S3.

South Park absolutely killed it with S22. If you wandered away from this series in the past you will not regret coming back for S22.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

I saw about a dozen or so documentaries this year and really liked most of them, but RBG (about Ruth Bader Ginsburg) and They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead (about Orson Welles and his final film) are tied for my number one spot.

Game Night

Avengers: Infinity War.

Seeing Bohemian Rhapsody was one of the best nights at the theater I’ve had in a while—perfect mix of a good movie, outstanding music, and an awesome group of friends to share it with.

Like all true gangstas, I still play Words With Friends like a fiend on my phone.

I had a rediscovery of Conan O’Brien this year through his YouTube channel, but Hot Ones is still my favorite purely YouTube show/channel.

Facebook is still my most used, but Fitbit is my favorite app. It’s helped motivate me a lot to be healthier.

Stan Lee for the MCU cameos alone.

Hopefully it’ll be watching the Saints win their second Super Bowl, not to mention the final season of GOT promises to be bittersweet awesomeness, and we also got tickets to see Queen + Lambert on tour in August.

tUnE-yArDs @ the El Rey in Los Angeles in March.

tUnE-yArDs again.

Jacuzzi Rollercoaster - Roísín Murphy ft. Ali Love

Probably Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Saturday Night Live

Real Time with Bill Maher

Bob's Burgers

Isle of Dogs

Didn't really watch any this year but if I did it would probably have been the latest Michael Moore docu.

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Mission Impossible: Fallout or Aquaman. Can't decide.

Aquaman

Don't really play but can I just say Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate edition.

Bjork's official channel on da tube.

Facebook

Stan Lee

Avengers: Endgame