Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New Book - An Artistic Resistance: A Blueprint for Change in 20 Songs (May 20, 2020)

This User Is Really Gay jasonhicks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    ^ maybe her friend Annie Clark (who she thanks in the liner notes of Native Invader) will help her produce the album - or at least play guitars on the album
    I would kill people with my bare hands to hear a St. Vincent-produced Tori album.

KILL.
    we're two slow dancers, last ones out

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhicks View Post
    I would kill people with my bare hands to hear a St. Vincent-produced Tori album.

KILL.
    I doubt that would happen, but it does seem like the perfect way in for Tori to try an outside producer. Unlikely, but possible.

Hoping for some Tori news soon!

he's our commander still stuper venus's Avatar
    Another update from Amazon and now the release date is May 1, 2020

Just checked release date for Piece By Piece was 8th Feb 2005..followed by TBK on 20th Feb....wonder if we will get the new album on 15th May 2020 if new release date for book is 1st May(or maybe the date will change again!?).......i wonder how many people feel this will be another covers album as seems to be suggested? Personally, i want new material and it would add to the worth of SLG as the standalone covers album imo of course!!!

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Her covers are always interesting. If it is well produced (I guess thats the big "if" here) then I would be totally down. What was most interesting about SLG was the production and atmosphere she added to all the songs.

Don't know if it's been mentioned...there's a new book released on 26th September (my Birthday!!!) entitled Tori Amos Every Album Every Song by Trude Eidtang (sonicbond publishing)...apparantly there is a series of these including one on The Beatles.....spotted this today on amazon uk.

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    Her covers are always interesting. If it is well produced (I guess thats the big "if" here) then I would be totally down. What was most interesting about SLG was the production and atmosphere she added to all the songs.
    Exactly. I would love to be wrong but I can’t imagine her releasing anything as well-produced as SLG now after the last few albums.

Junior Member whitewithonesugar's Avatar
    Hey folks, didn't see anything about this in the thread so far so I thought I'd share. This Australian website has a little description of the book:

"Structured chronologically around her most famous songs, Amos opens up the lyrics to broader discussions of issues from climate change to women's rights to fascism encroaching on the world's most powerful countries. She draws on her wide experience and travels to make sense of what divides us and shows us how music can bring people together."

https://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Ar.../9781529325607

So sounds like a memoir structured around Tori's songs, rather than covers?

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing @whitewithonesugar - it sounds like it's reprinted Tori song lyrics with essays or commentary she's added to them, strung together by a general theme of current political relevance.

Maybe it will be well done; maybe it will be full of cliches; maybe it will be incoherent A crapshoot, I think. I hope it's a huge success for her but I have my doubts.

No new music? I'm greedy, I know.

I find it difficult to imagine we won't get new music next year. Just not related to this, probably.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

I hope it's not in the same vein as Piece by Piece.

Any guesses on what 20 songs of hers could be used?

Her most overtly political songs have definitely come in the latter half of her career (Big Wheel, Giant Rolling Pin, Up the Creek), but a lot of her earlier works could be interpreted in those ways too.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    ^ Fun game!

Tombigbee - The rape and genocide of Native Americans. I just googled Tombigbee and learned something completely amazing! "The name 'Tombigbee' comes from Choctaw /itumbi ikbi/, meaning 'box maker, coffin maker'". Wow. Ultimately the destructive politics of manifest destiny

Up the Creek - Environmental destruction and the corrupt politics of greed

Space Dog - Teenage politics

Teenage Hustling - Exploitation

Barons of Suburbia - Hypocrisy

Unrepentant Geraldines - Political non-conformity and defiance

Broken Arrow - Again, environmental destruction and the corrupt politics of greed. But also Governmental attacks on personal liberties

Benjamin - The war on science and deliberate misinformation campaigns by governmental bodies, and yet again, environmental destruction and the corrupt politics of greed

God - Religious inequality of women; the politics of patriarchy