Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New Book - An Artistic Resistance: A Blueprint for Change in 20 Songs (May 20, 2020)

Mary's Raven,eh.......interesting, as just the other day i was remembering reading some American magazine in the 90's where Tori mentioned in the interview that she liked the name Raven. I think she said that she'd maybe pick this for her daughters name.....this was years before Natasha was born......still, i like this song title if it's true and maybe Mary refers to her mother...

Bizarre she would title a song Mary's Raven when her last album ended with Mary's Eyes.
    I wish she would go with the less is more approach. I would have called the song "Raven" even if the lyrics are "Mary's raven". Same with Unrepentant Geraldines - I would have titled the album "Unrepentant" but still called the song "Unrepentant Geraldines".... but I digress.

But perhaps she is making a connection between Native Invader and the new album. Maybe Mary's Raven is the first or last song on the new album.

Would make sense if you read up on Ravens (Wiki):
    Because of its black plumage, croaking call and diet of carrion, the raven is often associated with loss and ill omen. Yet its symbolism is complex. As a talking bird, the raven also represents prophecy and insight. Ravens in stories often act as psychopomps, connecting the material world with the world of spirits.
    French anthropologist Claude Lévi-Strauss proposed a structuralist theory that suggests the raven (like the coyote) obtained mythic status because it was a mediator animal between life and death.[1] As a carrion bird, ravens became associated with the dead and with lost souls. In Swedish folklore, they are the ghosts of murdered people without Christian burials and, in German stories, damned souls.

Maybe Tori is Mary's Raven...

I actually really like the song list! Hope this is true.

I hope they will provide a free download to a "Tori Amos - Resistance" playlist when you purchase the book or something. Or even if a CD came in a sleeve in the back of the book and could be ordered digitally online. It would be nice to listen to these songs in order when reading - and it would allow non-Tori fans who read the book to get to know the songs. Maybe this is the plan and is why the book is not out until May - because they are recording Mary's Raven that could be an exclusive track to go with the book launch.

Plus - I doubt Tori would talk about the meaning behind a song before we even hear it and in the context of the new album. She is not like that - she likes us to interpret the songs our own way...
    Last edited by Beelust; 01-15-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    I see myself sort of as a small to medium vineyard. And they usually don't sell as much as the screw-top wine down in Safeway. But I don't make wine for Safeway. God bless Safeway. If I am a winemaker I am not going to make screw-top wine ~ Tori Amos

So I made a playlist in iTunes of the songs in the book and it flows so well. I am only at Yes, Anastasia - but it sounds amazing. I think Tori chose an great group of songs here to represent her work. And there seem to be connections between many songs and from one to the next when you listen to them in a row...

Gold Dust - One of Tori's favourite songs - she loves Scarlet and tells people to FUCK OFF if they interrupt this song . I can imagine it is the first song as it is about her husband and more importantly her daughter - whose birth helped Tori see things differently (her music changed too) - less about herself and more about her daughter and the world = politics. We are made from gold dust and need to appreciate and enjoy every moment ("enjoy her every cry").
    Devils and Gods - Preacher's daughter - bad and good - the balancing act of politics. One decision is always good for some but bad for others.
    Little Earthquakes - Signature Tori song - "Yellow bird flying (God) gets shot in the wing (devil)"
    Bang - Big Bang/Little Earthquakes - the creation of earth and civilization - ties back to Gold Dust.
    Girl - Follows Bang perhaps as "bang" is slang for "have sex"... bang a girl. "Everybody else's girl, maybe one day she'll be her own".
    Girl Disappearing - Connects to Girl obviously, and more about another woman losing herself & disappearing.
    I Can’t See New York - Instead of a girl, New York (Twin Towers) & freedom is disappearing.
    Pancake - Guy in the song does not seem to notice or care about politics/freedom/America in crisis (disappearing).
    Father’s Son - Fathers passing along the patriarchy and intolerance to their sons and "planting seeds of hate" - like the guy in Pancake.
    Ophelia - a song of hope against the patriarchy - America is diverse and tolerance is needed - "Change waltzes in with her sister Pain".
    Cornflake Girl - Woman can be cruel to each other.
    Scarlet’s Walk - We need to not be cruel and look more to indigenous thinking - look to the past of how the first Americans (Indigenous peoples) were treated.
    Jackie’s Strength - Kennedy's assassination (represented tolerance, freedom in America) - Jackie as a strong woman - questions about marrying a man
    Silent All These Years - Tori finding her voice and strength in herself - strong like Jackie.
    Me and a Gun - memory of trauma when Tori feels not "strong" due to the patriarchy and violence
    Shattering Sea - “That is not my blood on the bedroom floor” ties in with the gun and violence between men and women (people in general). Everything can shatter quickly with guns (America's current gun crisis).
    The Chase - Hunters & predators - out-create instead of using weapons to destroy them.
    Riot Poof - Gays making progress but still a battle - could be a link to the Pulse nightclub massacre. Space oddity = David Bowie - androgyny and important other gender/sexuality issues - LGBTQ+.
    Russia - Coming after Riot Poof it made me think of the connection to Russia's intolerance to the LGTBQ+ community. Stalin's laws of punishing and killing queer people.
    Barons of Suburbia - Men of Suburbia that she sings about are at risk of being like Stalin - seen in many rural areas / red states. ???
    Yo George - Bush, so obviously this would be included.
    Taxi Ride - "She smiles way too much" lyric I recall people saying was Barb Bush. The dead fag and Kevin Aucoin references link back to Riot Poof and Russia.
    Yes, Anastasia - More Russia themes - but this time Russian history - poisoned with mercury by her husband - found in her hair.
    Not the Red Baron - Plane crash - contemplating death of innocent people, like Anastasia.
    Mary’s Raven (new) - ??? We shall see
    Sister Janet - Demons and angels connect with Baron and 1000 Oceans - nuns.
    1000 Oceans - LA riots - song about grieving death of father/father in-law & comforting your loved one (Mark)
    The Beekeeper - Links to song before as about death, but this time her mother's.
    The Vicar’s Wife - Wives mourning for their lovers out to sea
    Reindeer King - Could be about the imminent death of Tori's mother, but there is a sense of hope and reconciliation.
    A Sorta Fairytale - Reconciling with her demons, Scarlet is able to find her fairytale with someone she loves.
    Datura - Connects to Fairytale as Mark told Tori (Scarlet) that she wanted to know what she would be like at 80 in the garden (song lists plants in her garden). Then the Canaan / Israel dividing of nations - connects back to I Can't See New York ("from here no lines are drawn").
    Climb - After all the songs above and the redemptive starter song Gold Dust, there is always still an uphill battle - a climb - you can't forget the past and "only when you're whole can you forgive".
    Last edited by Beelust; 01-16-2020 at 04:37 AM.
    I see myself sort of as a small to medium vineyard. And they usually don't sell as much as the screw-top wine down in Safeway. But I don't make wine for Safeway. God bless Safeway. If I am a winemaker I am not going to make screw-top wine ~ Tori Amos

It could also be a huge load of horsesh*t that someone threw up on reddit to sound like they know something insider. Much like supposed track lists to new albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Nateb View Post
    I certainly wouldn't have thought of that as a political song.
    I think that the lyrics have strong political resonances:

Out there are hunters
    Let's say predators
    I have weapons
    That could destroy them
    You must out-create
    It's the only way

It's about using art as a mode of resistance in the face of destructive forces.

Quote Originally Posted by civilised syllabub View Post
    I think that the lyrics have strong political resonances:

Out there are hunters
    Let's say predators
    I have weapons
    That could destroy them
    You must out-create
    It's the only way

It's about using art as a mode of resistance in the face of destructive forces.
    I can see what you mean, it just never really struck me as political. But that's what's fun about Tori songs.
    Last edited by Nateb; 01-17-2020 at 03:04 PM.

How could Broken Arrow not be included?
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    How could Broken Arrow not be included?
    Agreed! It’s one of my favorites from NI.

I’m also surprised to not see iieee.

The list is really intriguing. I’m excited!

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    She'll probably mention lines from songs in passing and then have the lyrics on the next page, it doesn't sound like this is going to be an in-depth analysis of each song. I'm not really that excited tbh, I didn't like Piece by Piece, and this seems like more of that but with political theory instead of New Age philosophy. Sounds kind of YIKES tbh even though I agree with Tori on most things.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Bizarre she would title a song Mary's Raven when her last album ended with Mary's Eyes.
    I wish she would go with the less is more approach. I would have called the song "Raven" even if the lyrics are "Mary's raven".
    Omg you haven't even heard the song yet, and in fact hasn't even officially been confirmed to exist.

Also, without context of the actual song, how do you know it would make sense to drop the name Mary. For example, if someone wrote a song about a person's special relationship to their dog for example, and titled it 'Sarah's dog' ... to drop the name Sarah, and just call it 'Dog', could completely misrepresent what the song is actually about.

I feel like almost any Tori song could be interpreted as political (Ok, maybe not Ireland...).

The most striking omission to me is Precious Things. That seems like such a hugely popular "Resistance" song in her catalog.

(Also surprised Waitress and Pro Widow aren't on there, but that's another thing).

Looking forward to hearing this!
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Where's Virginia, ffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherman View Post
    Where's Virginia, ffs?
    Very good point!

I don't like the song, but if Ophelia is on the list, maybe we'll finally find out who Ophelia and Veronica and Charlotte are.

So bright it blinded me... RecoveringXian's Avatar
    Haven't been around in a while, but wanted to let you all know of a fan's early review: https://watercolorstain.wordpress.co...kI1LrPyy-TpHxk

In the review linked above, there is no mention of "Mary's Raven," and there is a link to a playlist of all of the songs in the book, which I believe matches the earlier list, minus "Raven." If anything (doubtful), "Mary's Raven" may be a poem a la "Kindest Eyes," but it is probably just a hoax.