Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: New Book - An Artistic Resistance: A Blueprint for Change in 20 Songs (Sept. 3, 2019)

  1. #61
    so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,059
    Am I wrong in thinking that Tori hasn't ever spoke much about other artists, especially female artists, and especially female artists that came after her? Yes, we know she loves The Doors, Led Zeppelin, etc. plus Joni Mitchell and Stevie Nicks, but I can't imagine her writing about Amanda Palmer, Jewel or Fiona Apple.
    Last edited by Bryan Alan; Yesterday at 03:01 PM.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

  2. #62
    Senior Member Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    4,075
    Yeah, those other artists' names are 100% just publisher metadata to drive searches to a book by a "similar artist".

  3. #63
    Administrator Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,870
    When news of this first broke there was a tidbit about associated Twitter accounts for the author and @toriamos was listed. It was posted in one of the Facebook groups I think. That's pretty much a dead giveaway. This is definitely the project she was talking about during her last interview/Q&A.

  4. #64
    megaphone to my chest MikeEP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah, those other artists' names are 100% just publisher metadata to drive searches to a book by a "similar artist".
    Agree. “People who are interested in Tori Amos may also be interested in [fill in the blank].”

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    219
    Just had a thought that perhaps the songs are songs which have inspired change and inspiration throughout the history of the world ie Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday....maybe Tori has been thinking about her mothers influence on the music she grew up with in the household...probably wide of the mark here but who knows at this stage the purpose of said book..

  6. #66
    Senior Member SloppyJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,194
    There is no way Tori wrote about one of Courtney Love's song. NO WAY. (Unless it's Professional Widow).
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

  7. #67
    Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by nosferatu View Post
    Just had a thought that perhaps the songs are songs which have inspired change and inspiration throughout the history of the world..
    I think this is a high likelihood scenario, based on its title and the scant details we've heard about it. But I have to say I hope not. Tori's a brilliant composer, but when I consider the possibility of her going all corn mother left, faerie dust right, crystal magic woowoo all around on heady and serious topics like political change outside of musical forms, I get scared. The potential for something like that to be truly embarrassing seems really high.

    That said, it might be fun to postulate what songs or musical events might be included:

    -Talkin Bout A Revolution (Tracy Chapman)
    -Sinead O'Connor ripping up pictures of the Pope on SNL
    -Get Up, Stand Up or Redemption Song (Bob Marley)
    -Strange Fruit (to your point @nosferatu)
    -I could see a Madonna song being thrown in there, just for headlines if nothing else. The Like A Prayer video, Papa Don' Preach...
    -Something by Bob Dylan seems almost certain
    -I Am Woman (Helen Reddy)
    -What's Going On (Marvin Gaye)
    -Iko Iko
    -Ohio (Neil Young)
    -Respect (Aretha Franklin)

    Just to throw a few out there....

  8. #68
    A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,437
    Since her name popped up: Sheryl Crow's Redemption Day would fit very well.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I think this is a high likelihood scenario, based on its title and the scant details we've heard about it. But I have to say I hope not. Tori's a brilliant composer, but when I consider the possibility of her going all corn mother left, faerie dust right, crystal magic woowoo all around on heady and serious topics like political change outside of musical forms, I get scared. The potential for something like that to be truly embarrassing seems really high.

    That said, it might be fun to postulate what songs or musical events might be included:

    -Talkin Bout A Revolution (Tracy Chapman)
    -Sinead O'Connor ripping up pictures of the Pope on SNL
    -Get Up, Stand Up or Redemption Song (Bob Marley)
    -Strange Fruit (to your point @nosferatu)
    -I could see a Madonna song being thrown in there, just for headlines if nothing else. The Like A Prayer video, Papa Don' Preach...
    -Something by Bob Dylan seems almost certain
    -I Am Woman (Helen Reddy)
    -What's Going On (Marvin Gaye)
    -Iko Iko
    -Ohio (Neil Young)
    -Respect (Aretha Franklin)

    Just to throw a few out there....
    Yes grapefruit...those songs you mentioned would be the type included if indeed it turns out to be that type of book...yeah, let's hope she writes in a manner that isn't embarrassing..i think she'll write well (fingers crossed! lol).

  10. #70
    come out and level up Waylon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,163
    Why Iko Iko, grapefruit? I thought that song was about Mardi Gras Crewes.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

  11. #71
    Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,515
    Oh, interesting! I have no idea what it's about actually. I've just always assumed "I'm gonna set your flag on fire" and "my king all dressed in red... he'll kill you dead" were political.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •