Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Albums

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    This year has just been miserable for me. The only albums I will likely be listening to come 2020 are Charly Bliss’ Young Enough and Laura Stevenson’s The Big Freeze. Everything else I’ve listened to has ranged from “it’s fine and I’ll listen to it for a week and then forget it” to actively terrible (Amanda Palmer).

NEW PHARMAKON!

Devour by Pharmakon

Devour marks the fourth full-length record from Margaret Chardiet’s project Pharmakon and her most intense output to date. Like her previous albums, Devour comes with a strong concept that is exorcised throughout the five demolishing tracks on the album, using imagery and language of self-cannibalism as allegory for the self-destructive nature of humans. Each of the five songs echoes a stage of grief associated with this cyclical chamber of self-destruction and the chaos surrounding us that leads us to devour ourselves in an attempt to balance the agony.

The album was recorded by Ben Greenberg (Uniform) and is the first Pharmakon album recorded live in studio. The A and B sides were each recorded as a continuous take with vocals from start to finish, marking a totally new process for the artist that allows the ferocity and immediacy of her live performance to resonate throughout. Devour also explores new sonic territory, with denser electronics, groovier hooks, and moments of her most unhinged vocal deliveries to date. As one of the premiere vanguards of modern industrial and power electronics, Chardiet continuously pushes the genres and everyone involved in them, and with the release of Devour, she has once again changed the game.

Artist Statement:

“Devour” uses self-cannibalization as allegory for the self-destructive nature of humans; on cellular, individual, societal and species-wide scales. In our cells, our minds, our politics and our species, humans are self-destructing. But this behavior does not happen in a vacuum. It is an instinctive inward response to a world of increasing outward violence, greed, and oppression. Turning these wounds toward ourselves can be seen as an attempt at “balancing feedback”, within a never-ending positive feedback loop of cause and effect. With this view, the blame is placed not within the individual, but with the world they must contend with, and a society that is designed to fail them - to keep them gnashing and wailing, inflicted with an all-devouring hunger that inevitably turns in on the self. Those that pit them against each other grin from the sidelines, bellies full. Those who see beyond the veil need to obscure the horrid sight by any means necessary, but respite is always brief- nothing can dampen the glare from behind the veil. This album is dedicated to all who were lost to their own demise, all who have been institutionalized; whether in prison, psychiatric facilities, or drug rehabilitation. It is for all those ostracized by and isolated from a totality which chews them up alive in a self-cannibalizing caste system. Here, where martyrs, slaves, and pharmakos are not eradicated, but simply called by another name. “ABOUT THE SHALLOWNESS OF SANITY”... To be well adjusted in this system is to be oblivious and unfeeling. This is for the rest of us, who understand that chaos, madness, pain and even self-destruction are natural and inevitable responses to an unjust and disgusting world of our own making.
    ETA after listening to the new track.

Holy shit!
    Last edited by beanstew; 07-09-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    my top 3 is definitely:

Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
    Jenny Lewis - On the Line
    Mark Ronson - Late Night Feelings

also really enjoying:

Amanda Palmer - There Will Be No Intermission
    Anderson .Paak - Ventura
    Better Oblivion Community Center - Self-Titled
    Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated
    Hatchie - Keepsake
    Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
    Maggie Rogers - Heard It in a Past Life
    The National - I Am Easy to Find

Absolute favorite songs so far are Sharon Van Etten - "Seventeen" and Jenny Lewis - "On the Line"
    One more I was introduced to by a friend which turned into a spontaneous dance party:
    Sault - 5

This has been a great year for music so far...my playlist I add new songs I’m into as I hear them (which is basically the very rough draft of my year-end top 20 favorite songs) is already at 79 songs.

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    I was a bit disappointed with the last Pharmakon album. It didn’t really show any growth. But I’d wager that Margaret has fixed that this time out.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    This is my new favorite BITCH

Fans of Diamanda Galas, Jarboe and Pharmakon need to check out this artist... she's EXTREME, although this song is somewhat normal sounding compared to her other stuff (LOL)

The album is out today!

Last edited by Octopussy; 07-19-2019 at 04:41 PM.

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Um.

YES PLEASE

*buys*

And remember, kids, new Pharmakon drops 8/30. !
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    This was released a few days back; I really enjoy it. Hopefully there will be an album following.

"Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    This year has just been miserable for me. The only albums I will likely be listening to come 2020 are Charly Bliss’ Young Enough and Laura Stevenson’s The Big Freeze. Everything else I’ve listened to has ranged from “it’s fine and I’ll listen to it for a week and then forget it” to actively terrible (Amanda Palmer).
    You should give Black Belt Eagle Scout a spin. You might enjoy her.
    My face screams without an emotion

I've been enjoying producer (Bjork, Frou Frou, Madonna, Alison Moyet) and musician Guy Sigsworth's debut solo album stet. Featuring vocals by Imogen Heap and Charles Martin, among others, the album is a great survey of both modern and classic musical landscapes. A few of the tracks could be described as modernist or even futuristic song craft, but many of the tracks consist of instrumentals based on keyboard instruments. Throughout, the musicianship is notable and I would highly recommend this work for anyone looking for something different yet fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    This was released a few days back; I really enjoy it. Hopefully there will be an album following.

OMG I LOVE!!!!!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    ^ I'm obsessed. The album is named "Imperial Dunes" and appears to be finished - it will be released in September.

Their Soundcloud page has more back ground info;
    https://soundcloud.com/landroidmusic
    https://landroidmusic.com/
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I'm in love with Lou Doillon - Soliloquy

New Smoke Fairies! After so long since I thought we had seen the last of them!

Smoke Fairies - Out Of the Woods (Official Video)
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Marika Hackman’s latest came out today and it’s pretty amazing.