Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Joy Williams formerly of The Civil Wars has a new one out in May; happily sounds like a more stripped back album after a bit of a heavier produced sound on her solo debut a few years ago.

Oh and John Paul White also has an album out in April! I didn't dislike but wasn't blown away by his first solo album after the break-up either, but love the lead single. He joined Lera Lynn for her Plays With Others tour and he absolutely sang the roof off of the Bowery Ballroom during the couple songs he did alone. I'm dying to see him do a whole set of his own stuff now.

Funny that he and Joy have albums coming out in such proximity. Maybe I can put them on shuffle and pretend it's a new Civil Wars album and that they don't hate each other lol.

Sharon Van Etten must be blowing up right now, I just heard Comeback Kid at the gym on a station that plays mostly top 40 (and really mainstream indie like MGMT and Arctic Monkeys)

SVE is playing a 3000 capacity venue in London. She's getting raves everywhere!

I can not stop listening to the Better Oblivion Community Center album. It's not out on physical formats yet but it is on all of the streaming services. Early AotY contender for me!

I'm also loving the new one The Imperial from The Delines.

The Delines - Holly the Hustle

Recommended to all lovers of country soul.
    Last edited by beanstew; 02-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I don't what most fans would say, but I consider BLUE to be iam/ionnalee's peak and I haven't been as excited by her music since. "Samaritan" was a good single and this one is ok too. But I revisited BLUE last week and I forgot how good it was. (I still don't remember half the songs on EATBF)

My wig is over there somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    I can not stop listening to the Better Oblivion Community Center album. It's not out on physical formats yet but it is on all of the streaming services. Early AotY contender for me!
    Agreed; this is my first purchase of 2019. Conor’s and Phoebe’s go beautifully together, as you can hear in “Dylan Thomas”. (Note about the video: it was directed by Michelle Zauner of Japanese Breakfast. She’s really quiet a multitalent; she’s done a few videos now, and she also writes — beautifully — and makes art.) And their songwriting styles also go together. Lovely folk-rock songs with some sad, dark, and twisted stuff.)

I’m in a real Phoebe phase right now. I got her solo album, Stranger in the Alps, and it’s great. There’s an astounding song on it called “You Missed My Heart” (warning: not for the squeamish ) and also “Motion Sickness”, her song about her relationship with Ryan Adams. Apparently, she’s been quite open about that even before she took part in The NY Times article this past week. Anyway, between this, BOCC, and boygenius, she’s really become a fave.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    "You Missed My Heart" was my favorite track of 2017 (it's a Mark Kozelek cover, and while I don't generally like his work his version of the song is also fantastic). Absolutely captivating.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Agreed; this is my first purchase of 2019. Conor’s and Phoebe’s go beautifully together, as you can hear in “Dylan Thomas”. (Note about the video: it was directed by Michelle Zauner of Japanese Breakfast. She’s really quiet a multitalent; she’s done a few videos now, and she also writes — beautifully — and makes art.) And their songwriting styles also go together. Lovely folk-rock songs with some sad, dark, and twisted stuff.)

I’m in a real Phoebe phase right now. I got her solo album, Stranger in the Alps, and it’s great. There’s an astounding song on it called “You Missed My Heart” (warning: not for the squeamish ) and also “Motion Sickness”, her song about her relationship with Ryan Adams. Apparently, she’s been quite open about that even before she took part in The NY Times article this past week. Anyway, between this, BOCC, and boygenius, she’s really become a fave.
    Same. To be honest I didn't know who she was until the NY Times article came out. I read about the BOCC project in passing and was curious about it because of Conor's involvement. I always like to give his stuff a chance. I was really blown away by the album on first listen and it got me to check out some of Phoebe's other stuff. I'm really impressed by what I've heard so far. Better Oblivion Community Center is in constant rotation right now.

Yeah, I found out it was a cover. I should have guessed that, because of the male voice of the lyrics. By yes, she sings it so beautifully. I listened to the album again, at 6 am with a lyric sheet. It just slays me.

I found out where she got the album name. Apparently, on television edits of The Big Lebowski, Walter’s line “fuck a stranger in the ass” is changed to “find a stranger in the Alps”.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama