Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Elections 2020 - These little earthquakes. Here we go again.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I love Pete Buttigieg. Even though it seems like he doesn't have much of a chance. But who knows. He was just on The View and I thought he was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    I love Pete Buttigieg. Even though it seems like he doesn't have much of a chance. But who knows. He was just on The View and I thought he was fantastic.

I love him too and I think he would make a fantastic VP for Kamala Harris. Could you imagine? Trump being creamed by first female and first woman of color president, and Pence being taken down by the first ever openly gay VP from his own state? It would be sweet sweet justice.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Joy Reid's panel this morning was discussing that Schultz's run could be looked at as a threat to the electorate and to the parties: keep the ultra rich tax breaks or we'll run and fuck things up for you. I don't know if Schultz is politically savvy enough to be intending that message, but it is something I'm going to chew on for a while. "Don't go for medicare for all because it'll cost us billionaires some cold, hard cash we earned fair and square off the stagnant wages and fickle nature of the jobs we grudgingly provide for you plebs. If you cost us Robber Barons our cash, we will break the system."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I have talked to two very high ranking people with Florida’s largest power company today for work, and my spidey sense told me I should look them up on Facebook. Both of them are sharing memes about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, defending the Catholic school kids, and one of them is parroting QAnon bullshit. These are very senior people in a massive company who are college educated and working in positions of power.

Then I stopped to have coffee with my aunt and she and her friend were talking about how Democrats need to reopen the government and stop holding everyone hostage because they hate Trump. They can’t understand why Democrats love immigrants flooding into the country. My aunt’s friend said, “Why can’t they just shut up and let us build the wall? We’ll be safer and it’ll stop some of these drugs flooding in here.”

For those of you who live in liberal areas, I tried to tell you in 2016 that rural America would love Trump. I’m telling you now that he’ll get easily re-elected. The racism, combined with the seething hatred for anything considered “liberal,” will drive small-minded people to the polls every time.
    I disagree. I actually have some friends who, I think (well...hope), are not racists and voted Trump specifically due to economic reasons. The people you're talking about would vote GOP no matter who ran. The people that Trump pulled from Hillary weren't racists, they were the people that legit thought Trump would be better for their wallet. So hopefully, when these tax cuts don't pan out the way they thought, the stock market starts going down, the debt continues to skyrocket, and people being hit by tariff bullshit wake up, they won't vote Trump/GOP this time.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I disagree. I actually have some friends who, I think (well...hope), are not racists and voted Trump specifically due to economic reasons. The people you're talking about would vote GOP no matter who ran. The people that Trump pulled from Hillary weren't racists, they were the people that legit thought Trump would be better for their wallet. So hopefully, when these tax cuts don't pan out the way they thought, the stock market starts going down, the debt continues to skyrocket, and people being hit by tariff bullshit wake up, they won't vote Trump/GOP this time.
    My boyfriend just alerted me to the fact that his tax return is basically NOTHING this year, which is admittedly due to a few different factors but I'm sure president cheeto's amazing tax plan has a lot to do with it. I make considerably less money than he does and I'm not filing for a couple more weeks so I'm not sure if I'll be affected yet (positively or negatively), but it'll be interesting to see if that gets people to change their tune.

I've been reading a few grumblings about people owing or getting lesser refunds. Now, that does happen every year. People never make the exact same amount and that's before you factor in marriages/mortgages/kids/etc that change. So owing when you usually get a refund is an unpleasant surprise. But if it's lots of people who didn't make much more or have major life changes? And the local plants are still closing and all those companies just used their cash for stock buy backs? People are going to be pissed and I don't think they'll blame Mitch and Paul Ryan or Nancy. Higher taxes AND no wall, despite what the orange nightmare says/does tonight?

He barely squeaked out a win in 2016... To do it again he needs every single voter he got before (and/or a third party spoiler). Every single one. He's lost people. Has he gained a single voter? Ha. The MAGA people are dropping slowly, but he needs more than them. All the independents, all the "I hate Hillary and he was so smart on The Apprentice" people are fucking gone. Well, maybe not all, but a lot. I'm not saying he can't lie, cheat, and steal his way to a win, but his base is eroding, the swing voters bailed. Higher (white) middle class taxes will not help.

I'm not familiar with this site, so I don't know how reliable it is or if the quoted tweets at the bottom are from real people, but this is the kind of thing I meant when I said I was seeing some grumblings. And for some (all?) of these people, it's hard to have any sympathy.

Trump voters explode after realizing they’re getting screwed by the GOP’s tax plan: ‘I trusted you!’

I voted for you the first time but after you screwed me on my get tax break I won’t vote for you again especially after I started on my 2018 return it’s a joke the taxes you are keeping from a working person good luck in 2020

Wait til you file your taxes. Middle class just lost half their return. Lowest refund I have ever had and I am 50yrs old. No wall and now this tax reform sucks too!! Starting to doubt Trump. I voted for him and trusted him too.

http://cognitivedissonance.tumblr.co...f-disappointed

Of course this was going to happen. Every person knowledgeable about taxes warned of this. And it’s designed to get increasingly worse over four years to the point that people will actually be paying more instead of just getting less at refund time. The last three years I’ve gotten $2500 or so back, and this year I got $850. I’m a salaried employee so my annual income is the same. I knew it’d be less but I didn’t realize it’d be that much less.

Klobuchar throws her name in the hat...
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Watching the footage from Beto's march/counter rally last night.
    The way he delivers a speech is so very unique to him. I think he probably murders when it comes to the game Twister. Man puts his whole body to work when he talks. lol
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyJoy View Post
    Klobuchar throws her name in the hat...
    I had no particular feelings about this one way or the other when it happened. She seems like a competent legislator and is boringly vanilla enough (or so I thought) that maybe she'd be a good anti-Trump. She wouldn't bring enthusiasm among Ds, but maybe could appeal to enough Never Trumpers to cross party lines. Inoffensive, but uncontroversial.

But apparently she's a psycho bitch on wheels.

Amy Klobuchar, latest presidential candidate, faces questions about temperament, treatment of staff

A number of former staffers — both male and female — describe a workplace environment governed by fear and dread, one in which Klobuchar treated her Capitol Hill staffers with cruelty and humiliation, while fixating on seemingly minor issues.

Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., then the chamber’s minority leader, rebuked Klobuchar for her behavior in 2015.

She has been known to grow irate at staffers who find work elsewhere, calling their new employers to have the offers rescinded. The practice, which three former staffers for Klobuchar described and one other Capitol Hill veteran confirmed, was seen as vindictive, mystifying and counterproductive. It was also a sign of how far Klobuchar would go to punish those who she thought betrayed her.

They describe office objects thrown, sometimes directly at other people

Klobuchar went beyond many of her peers. One former staffer says that she asked staff to clean her house and wash dishes, as well as to help her pack for travel and make travel arrangements for her husband.
    I don't quite know how to feel. Is this true? Or are we just doing the same thing we (not unf we, but the left and media) did to Hillary? Is it sexism? Is she truly the worst Senator who can't hire good people because everyone runs away from working for her? It sounds like this story is very well known in DC, but it doesn't mean it's TRUE or that she's any worse than anyone else.

But I think I believe it. And throwing things at people? CALLING PEOPLE'S NEW BOSSES AND GETTING THEM FIRED? That's a level of viciousness I don't want to support. I don't want to fall for an unfair attack on a woman like so often happens, but I don't want her to get away with being an abuser because I want to just yell GIRL POWER and pretend it's sexist media.

As far as Republicans go he's not the WORST, but because he's not the worst AND from Massachusetts, I am doubting his ability to take the primaries from Trump. At least not yet. Give it a few more months of disaster and who knows. I don't think it's a bad idea for a reasonable Republican to run because who is going to be the front runner should Trump implode in the next year?

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Bernie is officially in. I guess we all knew this was coming. I was really hoping this would not be the case. I'm not happy about it. This is just throwing gasoline on an already out of control fire that is the Democratic primary. I see social media has been reinvaded by the BernieBro contingent. I'm so not ready for this again.

Yeah, the day after Klobuchar gives a refreshing presentation on pragmatism and realism in politics, no less. Here comes the guy promising free college tuition and healthcare. Plus more Nina Turner on my TV

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Dear god. And Trumpo sails to a second term...