Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: US Elections 2020 - These little earthquakes. Here we go again.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I mostly just wish we'd found someone better in the last four years than this whole crew (or at best I wish I could mash three or four of them together into a better candidate).
    I'm for Warren but I know that the same people who hated Hillary for "reasons" will hate her too. A woman, but not THAT woman kind of thing. I wish Pete didn't turn out to be a sneaky little bastard like that kid in Netflix's The Politician. And was 5-10 years older. Or Klobuchar... if she didn't have a rumored temper problem? Wouldn't she be unifying enough? (Besides the Sanders people who are ride or die Bernie and don't care who gets harmed in the meantime because their purity is intact in their own delusional heads.) Joe is a moron who mistook Obama's faith in him as VP as a sign he should be out here now. And he's too old. Like... it's not a birth year thing. It's a mental thing. He's out of touch.

I'm really afraid of Sanders getting the nom and losing. If he can't deliver unprecedented numbers in primary turnout, why should we expect he'd do the same in the general? One of his alleged selling points is his appeal to young people... the group most likely to. Not. Vote. And downballot slaughter is a real possibility. I mean, if it's Bernie and he loses and deflates turnout to the point that we lose the House or MORE seats in the Senate? It's worst case scenario. Or one of the worst cases. Bloomberg running third party could be fatal if he doesn't draw the same people as Perot did, for example.

Another nightmare was Steve Kornacki came up with a plausible scenario where the EC is a tie and then I guess the House votes the tie breaker by state and while Dems have more districts, Repubs have more states.

Whoever it is needs to get all those people in WI, PA, and MI. Or FL. And not lose congress seats overall per chamber. And in numbers great enough to overcome the suppression and cheating. Beating an incumbent with a strong-appearing economy is almost impossible and it's worse now post citizens united. I'm worried that no one can do it. Like if it's Bernie and he loses in a brokered convention, are those idiots going to turn up in November and vote blue no matter who? Please.

I also lean toward big brains and skilled orators who can stand across from Trump on a stage and look like the grown-up in the room - and right now that only seems to describe Warren and Buttigieg.
    That's such a good point. Both of them are so well-spoken. I always find myself nodding along and thinking "I get it" when they talk. Everyone else kinda stumbles over their words, flails arms or gets emotional. Liz and Pete are always cool, calm, collected - and come across smart as a whip. They would def both be able to take down Trump in a debate. I worry about the others.

Also, it's true a lot of people hate Sanders, but a lot of people hated Trump - and he won. There's def something to be said for passion. Who knows? Maybe being equally loved and hated is the winning recipe these days.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Like if it's Bernie and he loses in a brokered convention, are those idiots going to turn up in November and vote blue no matter who? Please.
    I understand that a brokered convention can produce a nominee who didn't get the most votes, but the backlash would be so incredible that it's hard for me to imagine them actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I understand that a brokered convention can produce a nominee who didn't get the most votes, but the backlash would be so incredible that it's hard for me to imagine them actually doing it.
    But like... if he enters the convention with 30% of the vote, that means 70% of the people DO NOT WANT HIM first choice. It should be given to him then? I mean, probably because he has the most, but it's not about the most. It should be MAJORITY, not plurarlity... right? If it goes brokered it's going to be unbelievably unfair no matter the agreement. It's unfair to Bernie if he has the most and super delegates pick Dukakis or whatever and it's unfair to everyone else if Sanders is selected because he didn't get to 50.01%.

ps this is why we need ranked choice primaries. That should make math weirdness a little less weird.
    Last edited by Regina Phalange; 02-20-2020 at 08:00 PM. Reason: used wrong word

I mean, I don’t like Bloomberg, but the current frontrunner is probably the only one even lower on my list, so I welcome any disruption at this point. Like I said, I don’t picture any of them beating Trump, but I could see Bloomberg standing a chance at least. It’s going to be a long awful year no matter what!
    No one talks about Bernies likability issues. But he’s definitely got them. I know his devotees can’t see it, but his personality is extremely off-putting to many people.

And I don’t think his devotees would turn up for anyone other than Bernie.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I'm curious why people are saying Sanders is "crazy".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Orange Clouds View Post
    And I don’t think his devotees would turn up for anyone other than Bernie.
    They did in 2016 in greater amounts than Hillary's did in 2008.

I'm on team Warren but Sanders is the one with the best policy on criminal justice reform so he's my second choice.

Well. I still don't know if I agree with the DNC letting him on the stage, but we can make lemonade out of those lemons

ps conservative dems: wtf? he didn't say anything of value.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Make lemonade if you wish. Be sure to add vodka. I worry that Bloomberg will buy the nomination somehow. He bought his way into a candidacy. He bought his way onto the debate stage after not qualifying. The DNC keeps changing the rules to make Fetch happen.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

If the dem establishment is so bad then why are you using OUR resources and platform? This fucking fraud. You’re not going to get to 278 or whatever ec votes talking to us like this.

Im so mad I’m shaking. The person who’s been in congress for 30 years is some kind of outsider? Gtfo with this victim shit. People don’t like or trust you.

Ps all the vt women I know aren’t pulling for him and the men who actually know him aren’t either.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Mad enough to shake over criticizing an entrenched political party on Twitter but not over Buttigieg erasing homeless people and supporting cash bail, Kamala (good riddance) supporting prison slave labor, or Warren continuing to restrict the right to vote for imprisoned citizens? Seriously?

Man I’d love it if this primary season were less about Twitter wars and more about the platforms. Warren would be running away with it and I could rest easy.

Last edited by uncanny hats; 02-22-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: I was mean

If Bernie is "the establishment" he'd have full support of Neera Tanden. Trust me. Tanden is 100 percent okay with being the establishment and she hates Sanders.

In other news, a Bernie Sanders campaign headquarters was attacked in Seattle.

And then, I'm sure we all heard about Trump being furious the Russians are posing as Sanders supporters (ie, the new Russiagate) and Sanders (as well as Kamala Harris, Michael Bennet, Adam Schiff, Nancy Pelosi, and Mark Warner) was briefed about it.

Revelations about the House briefing enraged the president, who complained that Democrats would use Moscow’s support for him against him, people familiar with the matter said. Days later, he replaced the acting director of national intelligence, Joseph Maguire, though administration officials have said it was not a direct result of the briefing.

Richard Grenell, the American ambassador to Germany whom Mr. Trump appointed this week to replace Mr. Maguire, asked the agencies under his purview on Friday to provide the raw information and analysis that went into the briefing, people familiar with the matter said.

Mr. Grenell’s appointment has drawn criticism from former intelligence officials who question his lack of experience and his record as a partisan ideologue. He immediately began a major personnel reshuffle, forcing out the official acting as the top deputy to the director of national intelligence.

Other officials have hastened planned exits, as Mr. Grenell looks to install his own team.

The House briefing was a supposed to be a repeat of an unremarkable classified session with the Senate Intelligence Committee in January and to inform lawmakers about a broad range of election threats, not just Russian interference. But lawmakers focused on the disclosures about Russia’s support for Mr. Trump and challenged the briefer, Shelby Pierson, the nation’s election security czar.

Intelligence officials disputed that Ms. Pierson said that Russia was actively aiding the re-election of the president. She did say Russia was seeking to influence American elections, including the primaries.

But people who heard the briefing said that the intelligence officers presenting the material said, in response to questions from lawmakers, that Russia was trying to get Mr. Trump re-elected.

Republicans have disputed that Russia supports Mr. Trump, insisting that Mr. Putin simply wants to broadly spread chaos and undermine the democratic system. They have also argued that Mr. Sanders’s gestures of peace toward the Soviet Union at the end of the Cold War might make him appealing to Mr. Putin.

Nevertheless, she persisted. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Bernie looked great yesterday in the wake of the report about Russkies doing their thing to help his campaign. He told Putin, in no uncertain terms, to fuck off. I think most Americans want a president who is able to do that. Therefore, Bernie literally looked presidential.

I still have real problems with Bernie, and I still am Team Warren. But if Bernie gets the nomination, I'll join his crusade.
    In November, vote for the candidate who believes in science.

Nevertheless, she persisted. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Sanders routing the field in Nevada. Joy Reid on MSNBC just said something very interesting. She thinks that Sanders supporters are "hungrier". That they just WANT it more. And, she asserted that the hungriest supporters usually win.
    In November, vote for the candidate who believes in science.