Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: US Elections 2020 - These little earthquakes. Here we go again.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    This is intriguing. Local journalism failure is a huge problem. Granted, everything is on fucking fire so it's hard to prioritize, but how are you going to find out if your local mayor/town council is stealing funds if you don't have anyone covering it? Also, I know it's not practical policy and he's very unlikely to get nom, but I like interesting ideas being brought out to be at least discussed. Maybe it'll happen some day, but it'll never happen if no one talks about it.

Also? Hell yes to this (although I have a problem with the elevation of athletics at colleges and universities... but if it has to exist, it should be for their benefit, not the schools' and NCAA)

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    I'm strangely attracted to him.
    Me too.

Separately, he has a Fred Rogers likability factor to him, which I think plays well against the current occupant of the White House and just how awful of a person he is.

Oh boy you guys are gonna love him even more

You gotta click on it to see the WHOLE story

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I just saw that. I love it! I just got an email from this campaign that he just reached the donor requirement to get into the debates!

Is he targeting us specifically? All he needs to do is drop a Fori reference and my suspicions will be confirmed.

Mayor Pete's husband (and wow, does that feel amazing to type!)

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
    Where they are just and loyal,
    Those patient Hufflepuffs are true,
    And unafraid of toil
    I would have guessed Ravenclaw but owning Hufflepuff is kind of more awesome.

I don't know if this should go in racism or GOP deathwatch, but since it's about Beto and really might affect 2020, I'll put it here.

and in case Ronna comes into the office tomorrow and blows a gasket

That's an old school deep dive.

I know I've ranted a few times about Italian-American stereotypes (most recently re: Green Book) but Irish-American ones get me almost as riled up. To be fair, if some rando had tweeted this, I might have been annoyed but gotten over it. But this is from the GOP directly. Fuck you, GOP. While anti-Irish sentiment is probably at an all time low in the US, it's not fucking 0 and probably never will be. Gentle teasing and tweaking? That's sometimes ok, but you're not a comedy outlet. You're despicable. Make all the Irish are cops and firefighters in the US jokes you want but that's based on those things being the only places Irish immigrants could get jobs 100 years ago. There's a sneering condescension from "real" white people that we Irish-Americans are only good enough when they need us. WASP precludes us descendants of Irish Catholic immigrants. It's nice for the GOP to remind us that we're not worthy too.

I know the Northeast is almost guaranteed to go completely for a Dem and that's where the biggest numbers of Irish-Americans are, so disrespecting us doesn't hurt Trump's chances, but fuck you. You don't get to take potshots at us as a group to take down one Dem candidate. Calling out his DUI is relatively fine (but we're gonna talk about YOUR party's criminal history too), but this? This is gross. It also seems really fucking short-sighted in things like Maine's senate race. Or governorships. Or to stop bleeding House seats.

And yes I know it's NOTHING compared to what any black or Jewish or Muslim or Latinx person gets from the GOP. But I'm tired of certain "lesser" nationalities getting shit on either BY PEOPLE WHO AREN'T THOSE THINGS. I'm tired of people being smart enough to know they can't make fun of certain "ethnic" minorities so they go for their favorite white foils. Hey, I see what you're doing and while I'd rather you make a potato or pepperoni joke towards me than burn a cross in someone else's yard, it's still not ok.

Oh and an extra fuck you to my fellow Irish-Americans who do vote GOP. Who do you think the KKK is gonna go after the blacks and Jews? Number three on their list is Catholics, you dumb fucks.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    The more I read about Mayor Pete, the more impressed I am.

This says what I think about Biden better

Like, I’ve talked to the guy a little bit, and he *is* as charming and personable as everyone says. But then Anita Hill & his shitty “Indian accents” & caping for racist republicans & a whole bunch of vintage Tough On Crime chest thumping is gonna end in a bitter, ugly mess.

Take it from me, being universally beloved is rare enough to be its own reward. Failed presidential candidates are abundant and low value.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Yeah this election is VERY different than the last one; if he had run the last time he would have fared better. Same with Bernie.

The field of choices we have this time around is fascinating to me because they are all infinitely more qualified than the GOP Clown Car of the last cycle. Still.. it's getting very crowded and I wish politicians had more awareness and clarity to see when they should sit something out.

Sirota deleted 20,000 tweets last night after I contacted him about this, including all of the ones in which he has gone after O'Rourke, Biden, Gillibrand, Booker, Harris, Bennet, Hickenlooper and more.

He said he was doing this as a journalist. Here's a deleted tweet:

Sanders asked his supporters to “do our very best to engage respectfully with our Democratic opponents―talking about the issues we are fighting for, not about personalities or past grievances. I want to be clear that I condemn bullying & harassment of any kind and in any space.”

Sirota helped write Sanders' launch speeches while calling people who disagreed with his attacks on others "mentally incapacitated."
    I asked Sanders campaign manager @faiz
    what he made of that, and he said:
    “He used those exact words?... I’m sure he regrets the tone.”
    And the final tweet in the thread goes to an article he wrote bashing Hillary falsely. Shocker.

Bernie, Beto, Mayor Pete: I don't care. Don't attack each other (especially not for another year!) and don't hire people with such a public record of nastiness. He knows he did bad which is why he deleted all those tweets. I'm trying not to shit on Bernie too much because his stated beliefs generally are in line with mine, but his tactics and determination to win at all costs are gross. He will tear this party to shreds if he doesn't get his way. Turn your cranky old man tactics on the GOP.

And I know I'm being a little hypocritical being like "no negativity" and the criticizing him but a) I'm not a political operative or pundit and I don't really say this anywhere but here and b) he's not a democrat still so fuck him hard if he's gonna play like this. Don't pretend you don't know when that's exactly why you hired him.

Well. I'm off the Kirsten train (while of course I would vote her against Trump).

Not only is this a bad idea in its outcomes (chronic pain cases? People with mobility or transportation issues who can't go visit a doctor every week while dealing with pain?), it's not well thought out and is a terrible band-aid of a solution that doesn't seem to have been researched at all. It 100% feels like something a junior staffer came up with and no one consulted a doctor or ever had a medical emergency that didn't magically heal in SEVEN DAYS. I like bold ideas and stuff, but this feels like pandering to the surviving families of opioid addicts instead of an actual policy that would help cut down on dependency and abuse.

It feels like she said "Opioids are bad and addicting. If you can't use them for more than a week, problem solved. Electoral college, here I come!"

Anyone else not give a shit about this election? I’m so over the whole thing. The drama and pageantry around the “I’m running” announcements, the appearances on Maddow where they’re clearly testing out their campaign speeches... it’s all so transparent to me. It really irritates me. I’m fucking tired of speeches and focus-grouped slogans. Even Kamala Harris, who I love watching during the various congressional hearings, has a shit record of the cases she argued in California. Warren doubling down on the Native American thing was tone deaf. Gillibrand seems like an opportunist. I’ll vote for the eventual dem candidate but I honestly don’t want to start this election season given that we’re still almost 2 years away.

I just want one of the "newbies" to get some genuine momentum going. I can't deal with the only two candidates with name recognition (and thus making any dent in the polls) being Bernie and Biden (though in that scenario Biden by a mile).

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Anyone else not give a shit about this election? I’m so over the whole thing..
    Yes and I want Jehovah above to knock me into a coma so I don't have to hear about it, think about it, or accidentally stumble upon, it until the whole show is over. At this point US Presidential elections feel like cruel and unusual punishment. Blargh.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

And the final tweet in the thread goes to an article he wrote bashing Hillary falsely. Shocker.

Bernie, Beto, Mayor Pete: I don't care. Don't attack each other (especially not for another year!) and don't hire people with such a public record of nastiness. He knows he did bad which is why he deleted all those tweets. I'm trying not to shit on Bernie too much because his stated beliefs generally are in line with mine, but his tactics and determination to win at all costs are gross. He will tear this party to shreds if he doesn't get his way. Turn your cranky old man tactics on the GOP.

And I know I'm being a little hypocritical being like "no negativity" and the criticizing him but a) I'm not a political operative or pundit and I don't really say this anywhere but here and b) he's not a democrat still so fuck him hard if he's gonna play like this. Don't pretend you don't know when that's exactly why you hired him.
    Bingo. I know the Bernie Bros don't want to hear this, but this is the kind of dirty politics Saint Bernie played in the last go-round. It was so obvious to a lot of us, but we were told we were all shrills for Hill. Is it too much for me to say anyone but Trump AND Bernie?

I may have a crush on Mayor Pete, but my political crushes don't always translate to my votes. I hope he doesn't have some inane policies. I'd love to vote FOR someone.