Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG I quit smoking

Good luck to both of you! Tell us how you're feeling as you go along... I posted in the old thread on @ almost every day for the first few weeks and it really helped.

I had a smoking dream last night for the first time in months. In it, I was very aware of having quit and I was struggling between accepting a smoke at a bar or declining it. Suddenly several friends surrounded me and told me I couldn't risk "just one" and I finally gave it back unlit. Lulz. I honestly think it was because I'd had a few glasses of wine last night and was wishing I could be someone who could just smoke one every now and then because wow would it have felt good. I don't know that I'll ever be able to do that, though, and I never ever ever want to go through a quit again.

Will do!

^Kari, I was totally there! I was able to have one or two and not think about it again; however, my partner started buying cigarettes again, and you all probably know how that goes! I want to be there again although I think I might be better off like devnull and leaving them alone altogether!

The first time I quit, I didn't touch them for seven months. I was out of town one weekend, bummed one or two, then bought a pack and smoked the whole thing. Threw it away when I went home, and didn't want anymore. I began to look forward to trips out of town because I would smoke while out of state, then throw the pack away (even if it was half full) at the border and not have any more. I was more or less officially quit for nearly two years.

That last time I went out of town, though - that's the one that got me. I thought about it on and off for weeks. I craved it. And finally one day, when I was going through a tremendously stressful moment, I caved. I smoked for seven and a half more years after that moment.

For that reason, I will never be able to have just one or two ever, ever again. That and the fact that Chantix made everything smell super horrible to me. But even if I ever got past that aversion, I would just keep thinking about that slippery slope and I wouldn't be able to do it.

I hope you continue to manage it OK, Kari. You know this is how most relapses happen. That's all I'll say, though. Back to talking about quitting...

Congratulations to all who quit!

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Ok, I finally made it over here. This new forum transition makes me emotional. Up until November 09, I used to smoke ciggies when I got emotional. But not anymore! Woo-hoo! Kari is here, right?
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Silly me. Of course Kari is here.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    About four months! And I actually feel great. This quit was way easier than the last one. I'm still looking forward with fear to the 10-11 months phase, which was the worst for me last time, especially since it'll be the holidays when I hit that point, but at the moment I'm doing and feeling great. The hacking cough I've had for years is finally clearing up too! I'm not sure if that's related to smoking or allergies, but it feels wonderful to be free of it.

I also recently broke up with my smoker boyfriend, and somehow, the stress of that hasn't me me want to start up again. I wonder if in a way I was using his addiction to justify my own (even though I started before we met), since I haven't wanted a cigarette at all since the breakup. It would remind me of him and all the fights we had over it and I'm ready to keep turning over a new leaf. Staying quit it part of that.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo

I finished my last pack of cigarettes last night at the club. Today is day #1 of no smoking. I threw away my lighters.

Congratulations! The first few days may totally suck but I'm on 5+ months now and all that pain I had to endure was so worth the feeling I have now. Good luck!

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Indeed, good luck!

OK, I slipped up again this weekend, but it was at least semi understandable. My brother is very ill and went into a psychotic episode in which he attacked me. It was pretty upsetting, and I did slip, but I'm back on the bandwagon. It really freaked me out though....

Day #2

I thought earlier about my usual routine of going home and having a cigarette before taking a shower. And I had to remind myself that I have quit smoking. I never really did enjoy smoking once I got home from work, but I did it anyway. And it's so hot outside. Not having to go out there and smoke in the humidity is actually a blessing.