Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fu¢k the record company playlist.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Hoochie Woman. I'm pretty sure she said it was.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I just think 16 Shades of Blue.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Ugh that performance of Curtain Call is brutal. I've watched it countless times and it still guts me.

Surprised no one's mentioned Professional Widow. That seems like the ultimate Fuck the record company track.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsofmysoles View Post
    Ugh that performance of Curtain Call is brutal. I've watched it countless times and it still guts me.

Surprised no one's mentioned Professional Widow. That seems like the ultimate Fuck the record company track.
    Even though it is literally my favorite song from any person, I don't have a clue what Professional Widow is actually about.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

I have always thought that Professional Widow is about looking at people who are sell-outs and being so angry about how much easier life is for them, even as you know you would never want to do what they do. Possibly about Courtney Love, riding on the fame of Kurt Cobain? (Ironically the song then got huge with the remix and is possibly one of her biggest "sell-out" moments, but that's a whole other discussion... )

I feel like I remember when Pele came out, there was a quote that said PW actually scared her in its creation. I wish I could find that. I' don't remember why it scared her.

Of course I may be totally making that up in my head, but I think I remember it.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okyanus View Post
    Possibly about Courtney Love, riding on the fame of Kurt Cobain?
    I always thought that criticism was so unfair. Sure, Courtney/Hole got a ton of publicity because of that, but the fact is "Live Through This" and "Celebrity Skin" are incredibly strong, great albums in their own right. LTT is one of my favorite alums ever, full stop.

Ironically the song then got huge with the remix and is possibly one of her biggest "sell-out" moments, but that's a whole other discussion... )
    Ha! That is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I always thought that criticism was so unfair. Sure, Courtney/Hole got a ton of publicity because of that, but the fact is "Live Through This" and "Celebrity Skin" are incredibly strong, great albums in their own right. LTT is one of my favorite alums ever, full stop.
    Just to clarify, that is not my perspective on Courtney Love, I was just referencing what might allegedly be Tori's. (Though it seems so un-feminist of her to think that way... who knows.)

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Just to clarify, that is not my perspective on Courtney Love, I was just referencing what might allegedly be Tori's. (Though it seems so un-feminist of her to think that way... who knows.)
    Oh totally get that! And I think you may be right - certainly there are many years of urban legends that Courtney was a reference point for the song. I feel you

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    What I associate with the entire ordeal: Take to the Sky / Russia.

Well, maybe not in the literal sense, but I can't hear it without thinking about it. It was cut of course from the intended Little Earthquakes, and came back full circle on A Piano as a track proper. The line "You can say it one more time, what you don't like" is definite proof that Tori has precognitive skills, she predicted the record company wouldn't like what she was writing (jk).

Great idea for a thread this is btw, we should have a 2.0 version in OiT for a various artists version of it.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post

Well, maybe not in the literal sense, but I can't hear it without thinking about it. It was cut of course from the intended Little Earthquakes, and came back full circle on A Piano as a track proper. The line "You can say it one more time, what you don't like" is definite proof that Tori has precognitive skills, she predicted the record company wouldn't like what she was writing (jk).

Great idea for a thread this is btw, we should have a 2.0 version in OiT for a various artists version of it.
    Yes, definitely Take To the Sky. I have always thought it was an F you to the record company for sure.

Gotta actually create a playlist of these and see how they sound together.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post

Good one! This song is in my Tori top 20 and I never associated that line with the music business.