Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision 2019

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    San Marino was pathetic. It was more than pathetic, it was just sad. I can't deal with that not even as ironic consumption. Portugal should've been in his place
    What would anyone expect from a 33k population? Im really glad to see a microstate even competing, and feel bummed I dont get to see crappy songs from Andorre, Monaco, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. Portugal was fucking horrible.... no population excuse can be used there....
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Kate is winning the Twitter/Instagram captions game. She and Hatari became really good friends, it seems. I want a duet ASAP.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I've actually met Kate. I've seen her a few times at tiny venues in London and she always hangs out afterwards to sign stuff and chat. She's as fun and lovely as she seems.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I'm deeply in love with Hatari
    Iceland, Norway and Australia were my favs. But Hatari Kate surely had the best coreography and the most technically challenging song! Their pictures together are so cute

I learned that Eurovision could've been an excuse to start a war between Italy and San Marino, because apparently everyone hated San Marino 'cause they never vote for us. This year they did and everybody was shocked. San Marino's song, I agree, was the ugly child of italian 'liscio' music (that kind of music that elderly people likes to group dance at food festivals) and italo-disco.

About the winner... it's not a bad song, the verses are actually nice, but the refrain, I don't know... it's like a mashup of Bruno Mars and Imagine Dragons, and I don't know which one I like the least. The studio version has a much better impact than the live version (despite the classic piano jesus pose) but to my ears is nothing awe inspiring or new or interesting.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 05-19-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Yeah, I really can't see what's the appeal of "Arcade". It sounds like a filler song in an album of Sam Smith. The lyrics are so generic. And please can somebody explain to me why was he singing to a lamp.

I actually don't understand why so many artists still do the "Oh, look, I'm playing an instrument" thing when everybody knows they're not. They could be doing something more interesting than pretending to be playing an instrument in Eurovision. I mean, the drummer of Czech Republic: what the heck was he doing? It was like he was just playing a different song.

Sweden's song was so irrelevant, so unimportant. Russia's song was BOOOOOOOOOOORING, and the staging was awkard; Sergey had such an amazing stuff going on in 2017, that it seemed they run out of money and they just bought a couple of TVs.

I might be wrong, but I guess that "Arcade" is going to be hardly remembered, like "Running scared". On the other hand, Kate's stage will be remembered for a long time, and I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year there are more entries with people flying, floating and doing stuff.

But Netherlands, congratulations, you won this year. Please, next year don't let Serhat to go to the final. Thanx.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Nearly hated all the songs, as I always do. I'm glad we won though, first time in 44 years lol. We actually send in a decent song, the lyrics are generic as hell but I do like the sound of it. And the live performance was good I thought compared to some of the others. Me and my friends went out partying on the town afterwards. Just read that the winner was born in the same town as I was! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    What would anyone expect from a 33k population?
    Okay, I take it back. It was really bad.

Some final thoughts on Eurovision:

- I’m super happy we won and I thought it was very well deserved. The song is great, the execution was too, and since we haven’t won since 1975 we’re all pretty euphoric
    - if we hadn’t won, I would have been ok with Australia (the ultimate Eurovision song/performance, IMHO), or Sweden (because it was a pretty catchy tune, but also we would 100% for sure have gotten a great show next year)
    - I heard some criticism that the Eurovision was ‘too gay’ this year, but I was actually super happy about that, especially the Dana International thing on Tuesday. The idea that countries like Russia, Azerbaijan and Serbia, with AWFUL LGBT rights, HAVE to air this stuff, just warms my heart. I hope some of the people who are not so open-minded took a good look. And I also hope some (closeted) LGBT’s saw this and hopefully felt semi-normal/accepted for a few minutes.
    - Hatari had no business being at Eurovision. Regardless of the quality of their song (which I thought was truly awful, but that just comes down to taste), they acted ‘too cool for school’ the entire time they were there. If you don’t want to be at Eurovision, and you think it’s all a sham, WHY WOULD YOU ENTER?
    - their stunt with the Palestinian flag was a joke. It was opportunistic/armchair activism (if they REALLY wanted to make a statement they should have boycotted the competition). Personally, I’d love to see what happens to these guys when they walk around in their BDSM outfits in Gaza… I don’t think they would be so tough anymore. I hope they're not allowed to enter next year. In fact, I signed a petition that calls for their disqualification.
    - Madonna’s performance was problematic, and I don’t think she should have been there. As a person who grew up with her music in the 80s and 90s it felt like the was ruining her legacy a bit. I did think her political statement was better, in that it was a message of ‘Israel and Palestine should join hands and work towards a resolve’. Very, very different from the shitty thing those Icelandic ‘edgy’ assholes did
    - if Germany had stuck to their performance they way they did it during their national finals, I’m sure they would have done better (YouTube it)

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

WHOOP WHOOP WE WON!
    Even though I'm biased, I do really really love the song, have loved it from the moment it was revealed in the Dutch press actually. Generic? Mmmmmaybe, but what Eurovision song isn't... It has a great chorus, it sounds very modern and he performed it very very well. We totally deserved this

Other favorites of mine were Austria, Sweden and Azerbedjan, I thought they were upbeat fun pop tracks that stood out. I did not get the love for North Macedonia at all, though! What did I miss? It was such a sentimental drag of a song...
    As for Hatari: I quite liked the song, it had that industrial Nine inch nails vibe that I can enjoy. Their attitude was such a silly childish act though, and they took it way too far.

And Madonna was such a fail. She wasn't likeable in the interview before her performance, even.
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    - Hatari had no business being at Eurovision. Regardless of the quality of their song (which I thought was truly awful, but that just comes down to taste), they acted ‘too cool for school’ the entire time they were there. If you don’t want to be at Eurovision, and you think it’s all a sham, WHY WOULD YOU ENTER?
    They were basically playing a part the whole time. They all come from a performative arts school. This is a very interesting interview: https://stundin.is/grein/8996/hatari...upon-the-weak/

“In our opinion, the power that we hold is of a different sort: that of the court jester. Much of what Hatari does is either performance art, lies, a conveyance of messages cooked up through unconventional channels, or aesthetic experiments that dance on the border of the captivating and the strange. The agenda-setting power should, no less, involve directing the eyes of the media in a critical way to the song contest and Israel. Maybe we’ll be kicked out of the competition because of it, but that in itself would be just as revealing as any performance of ours on the Eurovision stage.”
    “We’re basically privileged kids who have chosen to play the role of court jesters in a ridiculous song contest. We also want to remain conscious of this, and in doing so address aspects that we feel fall within our purview as artists, such as the absurdity of the contest, Israel’s participation, the boundaries of art and propaganda, the glossy images, censorship, and freedom of expression.”
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 05-20-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Grace View Post
    They were basically playing a part the whole time. They all come from a performative arts school. This is a very interesting interview: https://stundin.is/grein/8996/hatari...upon-the-weak/
    That last quote is EXACTLY why they shouldn't be there. It's like going on a date with someone just so you can make fun of them.

I'm so over them.

I don't know, I'm not very much into telling what people should or shouldn't do. I think people always have reasons to do what they do, and I can only wonder if I'd do the same or not and act consequently.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1

I think Iceland did it better in 2006, when they sent Sylvia Night, another 'performance art' type singer. I think her (non-political) approach worked a lot better: