Thread: Madonna's Current Self-Referentialism

Madonna's Current Self-Referentialism

I was just listening to Bedtime Stories and I felt it was very refreshing to listen to a Madonna album where I wasn't bombarded by references to her legacy. I realized that in all of her albums since Hard Candy there are multiple songs where you can hear her name and I think this probably reached a peak in Rebel Heart where in Veni Vidi Vici she raps:

I expressed myself, came like a virgin down the aisle
    Exposed my naked ass, and I did it with a smile
    And when it came to sex, I know I walked the borderline
    And when I struck a pose, all the gay boys lost their mind
    I justified my love, I made you say a little prayer
    They had me crucified, you know I had to take it there
    I opened up my heart, I learned the power of good-bye
    I saw a ray of light, music saved my life

Or this part in Best Night which is a direct reference to the lyrics in Justify My Love in the way they are whispered:

No sex tapes, no camera (wanting)
    Just you and me together (waiting)
    Repeat it like a mantra (for you)
    I'm in love, I'm in love

Other examples are the ''Vogue'' part of Holy Water, Bitch I'm Madonna..Too much for just one album maybe?

While this takes me out of the listening experience completely for some reason, I am very much interested in how do you feel about it, the increasing self-referentialism in her post Confessions on a Dance Floor work. Are you put off by it or do you find it it powerful in a sexist- ageist society she feels like she has to remind people all the things she did and owning them herself instead of waiting for recognition by other people? I guess this is also interesting in a way that it kind of changes the artist she is on a larger scale. She was such a forward looking artist pre 2005 that in her first tour in 8 years (Drowned World Tour), there were only 2 old songs in the setlist, she disowned a couple of But now her tours open with projections of her wearing her Oscars 1991 dress, old photos of iconic moments shown in big screens. If you follow her closely I'm sure you are thinking of different examples too. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Definitely think she got a little too self-referential on Rebel Heart. Her first self reference that I can remember though was way back in Causing a Commotion where she had that lyrical throwback to Get Into the Groove. She also did it again on Deeper and Deeper with a throwback to lyrics from Vogue. If it’s done well, I don’t mind it. I enjoyed it on Best Night. Veni Vidi Vici was just over the top though.
    Last edited by Adirondak; 04-21-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Lyrical self-references don't bother me as much as guest artists saying her name in every effing song. It started with Justin and Pharrell in Hard Candy,, went through Nicki calling her the "only one queen, bitch" and the ridiculous "L-U-V Madonna" chant and reached an embarrassing peak with a song called "Bitch I'm Madonna". As if it wasn't enough, every artist IN THE VIDEO can be seen dubbing the line "Bitch I'm Madonna". And now the trend continues with Maluma saying he knows she's Madonna, but he's going to show her how to ride his cock or something.

I wish he’d show me that

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    ^ No kidding. He is painfully beautiful. Show it to me, choke me with it, Ay-ay-ay!

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondak View Post
    I wish he’d show me that