Thread: Full list of Tori songs that reference Neil?

Question Full list of Tori songs that reference Neil?

I'm trying to make a Spotify playlist of every song with a Neil reference, but my knowledge of Tori's later albums is a little spotty and I've been unable to find an up-to-date list of Neil songs online. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing some?

This is my list currently:

Tear in My Hand
    Space Dog
    Horses
    Sister Named Desire
    Hotel
    Wednesday
    Carbon
    Trouble's Lament
    Mary's Eyes
    A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

Is that it? Are there any songs of TVAB, The Beekeeper, American Doll Posse, or Night of the Hunters that I've missed?

Here is the work in progress playlist by the way: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3z...TBeM93JFghct5w

Not Dying Today (ugh).

Ode To My Clothes.

A real tear jerker Tori song where Tori loses her Prada bag (EWF rumours are that the bag was a gift from Neil)....
    Robbing the muse...

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    What's the Neil reference in Trouble's Lament?
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

I don't know if it's a big stretch, but "Another girl's paradise" has the line "what I want is not to want what isn't mine -but I am Desire". I don't know, maybe it's just a jungian line, or maybe it's a dialogue between Scarlet and Desire. Or maybe I am overanalyzing it.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Alan View Post
    What's the Neil reference in Trouble's Lament?
    Probably that Trouble has a friend called Despair.

Bats- "the kindly ones are here with me"

The Kindly Ones could be a reference to a collection of Sandman comics called The Kindly Ones.

The Kindly Ones could also be a reference to The Furies in greek mythology, which is probably where Gaiman also got the name. There are usually (though sometimes more) three sisters that are called The Furies (Or The Kindly Ones). They are:

Alecto – Punisher of moral crimes
    Megaera – Punisher of infidelity, oath breakers, and theft
    Tisiphone – Punisher of murderers

I believe one of the chapters in 'American Gods' starts with the line "In the lush Virginia hills".
    I'm not too familiar with Neil's work, so I'm not sure if he is referencing Tori or the other way around, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Peeping Tommi View Post
    I believe one of the chapters in 'American Gods' starts with the line "In the lush Virginia hills".
    I'm not too familiar with Neil's work, so I'm not sure if he is referencing Tori or the other way around, ha!
    It seems that American Gods were published one year before SW was released, but who knows who got that line first! Maybe she had been working on the song earlier and played it to Neil. Anyway, great post!

In fact this whole thread is just awesome. I used to be a big Neil fan as a teenager, even got him sign some books for me (with one simple inscription: "Dream").

Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    It seems that American Gods were published one year before SW was released, but who knows who got that line first! Maybe she had been working on the song earlier and played it to Neil. Anyway, great post!

In fact this whole thread is just awesome. I used to be a big Neil fan as a teenager, even got him sign some books for me (with one simple inscription: "Dream").
    My guess is that Neil got it first. I remember there was a very short interview to Tori when she released SLG, and she talked about American Gods (it was on the Argentinian Rolling Stone, don't know where else it was published). So I bet the book was written before the SW.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Liquid Diamonds. I have a post about it here somewhere. I was looking for information on it a few weeks ago and found my own post on google. Here it is:

It is. I'm reading The Sandman right now and I googled 'Liquid Diamonds Neil Gaiman' when the phrase appeared (it's in A Game of You) and it brought me here, which is weird. Anyway. Barbie is looking for The Cuckoo, which is basically her child self, at the edge of the Dreaming on a skerry that is crumbling to nothing wearing a lilac dress, so there you have it.

Wich song have the line "The Kindly Ones are here with me"?

Bats

That's right, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peeping Tommi View Post
    It's not a chapter starter, but there's a sentence in the Coming to America story in chapter 4, "The children grew in the lush Virginia hills, grew tall and strong...." Perhaps fittingly, that coming to America is the story of Essie Tregowan, from Cornwall, who brought belief in piskies, faeries, and leprechauns to the United States.

Neil thanks Tori and Mark in the acknowledgments of American Gods: "Mrs. Hawley lent me her Florida house to write in, and all I had to do in return was scare away the vultures. She lent me her Irish house to finish it in and cautioned me not to scare away the ghosts. My thanks to her and mr. Hawley for all their kindness and generosity."