Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Little Lies

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar

Big Little Lies

I really enjoyed the first season.

This second season is hitting too close to home with the Mary Louise character. It's my Mom's name and she pulled a lot of the same crap with me.

Chime in!
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

I’m absolutely loving this season. I know it’s fan service to even have made another season in the first place and I was skeptical for that reason, but they are really delivering. Meryl has brought so much to the show and it feels like all the other actors are bringing their A-game too. I’ve gasped out loud so many times this season between Ed in the kitchen and the slap and pretty much any interaction the other characters have with Mary Louise.

I don't know... It's OK, I'm enjoying it, but I don't think it has the brilliance of the first season somehow.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    Interesting, I didn't love the first season. This season, however, is so entertaining. Meryl Streep is wiping the floor with everyone and I'm here for it.

We just finished the first season a few nights ago. I'm on the fence about watching the second season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rask of Trevdale View Post
    Interesting, I didn't love the first season. This season, however, is so entertaining. Meryl Streep is wiping the floor with everyone and I'm here for it.
    I think now it's just camp, good camp. Whereas the first season was high art. But maybe that's just me

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okyanus View Post
    I think now it's just camp, good camp. Whereas the first season was high art. But maybe that's just me
    I can see that. It's definitely moved into camp territory this season, and I'm a predictable gay. I guess I just didn't love the first season as much as everyone else seems to.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I don't know if I have ever hated a Meryl Streep character as much as I hate Mary Louise. And I think that fucked up busybody is gonna go after Ziggy next too. I think she's gonna end up dead. And I'm going to be completely ok with that.

Why yes, this show is personally triggering to me on multiple levels. I'm kind of glad it's unlikely to come back after this season because I don't know if my emotional well-being could handle another one and I don't have the willpower to NOT watch it because it's a damn good show. And I could handle S1 because of the.... well... I want to say happy ending but that's kind of messed up. It's like before I knew it was going to be upsetting I was already sucked in beyond the point I could stop watching. I don't know if I would have watched S2 if I knew it was going to be about a crazy-making manipulative MIL, but now I have to continue to watch to hope that bitch gets what's coming to her.

eta: About Streep's craft specifically. She says that one of her techniques to have a secret about her character that she keeps to herself but informs her performance. For example, she said that her Kramer in Kramer vs Kramer never loved the other Kramer.

I wonder what her secret about Mary Louise was. Did she abuse her sons? Did she know what he doing? I am forgetting his name and I want to call him Eric but I might just be mixing him up with True Blood . Is she planning on grooming one or both of the twins to do the same? Not accidentally but on purpose?
    Last edited by Regina Phalange; 07-11-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Perry. Not Eric. Yeah Meryl's character is far too similar to my Mom so this season has been awfully intense.

Meryl blows me away. Every. Damn. Time.

In the hands of another actress, Mary Louise could come across as a pretty one-dimensional bad guy.

But Streep somehow manages to make her not only totally psychotic, while at the same time, almost sympathetic. You can see the hurt and concern brewing inside, over her suspicions of her son's death (valid) and her fears for her grandchildren (also valid). Her motivations aren't insane. Her behavior is.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    Her motivations aren't insane. Her behavior is.
    Ah, but what are her motivations? On the surface, a grieving mother and a concerned grandmother, but is that all there is? Her manipulative behavior: an unfortunate side effect of her grief and too much concern or part of an insidious plot? Is her plan to have more of the boys in her life for their benefit or for hers?

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Ah, but what are her motivations? On the surface, a grieving mother and a concerned grandmother, but is that all there is? Her manipulative behavior: an unfortunate side effect of her grief and too much concern or part of an insidious plot? Is her plan to have more of the boys in her life for their benefit or for hers?
    That's a really good point. And that what makes her so fascinating. There's clearly WAY more bubbling inside of her. There's a dark past stuffed neatly in there. And it's not pretty.

And every time she's caught lurking behind some dumpster to catch a glimpse of her grandkids, I get chills.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

There’s always the running joke about how Meryl gets awards handed to her and how she’s a guaranteed hit, but honestly she deserves it. I know that because when I watch her in this show, just her facial expressions send me into a seething rage, and yet my brain never once just says, “it’s Meryl Streep.” She totally becomes this character, and even something as small as her body language is enough to make me have a visceral reaction to her.

I cannot wait to see her questioned on the stand in next week’s episode.

I'm hoping for some insight on what the hell was going on with Perry and Raymond. My theory is...

I'm worried about Ziggy. Oh boy.

I love starting Mondays with sky-high anxiety. Oh boy that was some shit. Normally I can just ignore inaccurate portrayals of court, but it being off from actual reality made it a bit easier for me to watch. Of COURSE you get to put everyone on the stand. It's not some surprise or gigantic victory for Celeste to call Mary Louise. So the more unrealistic it is, the easier it is for me to handle my anxiety. And I guess it could just be super weird in California and therefore IS accurate, but it's not accurate where I am. I've been to multiple courts in multiple jurisdictions and unless it's a big docket day (lots of little procedural things that get processed quickly) or an actual criminal trial, courtrooms tend to be fairly empty. Why were there all those strangers just watching someone else's custody hearing? Criminal trials are much more interesting than family court. Plus wouldn't the courtroom be closed because the whole world doesn't need to hear about Celeste grief-banging her way around Monterey?

Is anyone else bored to tears by the Bonnie storyline? I don't care about her mother or her father or whatever they're all going through.

Also? Bonnie didn't really *kill* Perry. It wasn't a premeditated *murder*. He died, and she did the action that caused his death, but it was more manslaughter, if not self-defense. An accident in a fraught emotional confrontation with someone who was trying to hurt her friends. I'm not saying normal people don't feel guilty when they cause a death of another person, but give yourself a little bit of a break. You accidentally shoved him down the stairs. He'd have thrown every single one of you down them on purpose.