Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Awards Season 2019-2020

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Awards Season 2019-2020

Emmy nominations to me are the kick off. I know it's not the GLAMOR and PRESTIGE of the movie awards, but they do have a lot of people in common.

Drama Series

“Better Call Saul” (AMC)
    “Bodyguard” (Netflix)
    “Game of Thrones” (HBO)
    “Killing Eve” (AMC/BBC America)
    “Ozark” (Netflix)
    “Pose” (FX)
    “Succession” (HBO)
    “This Is Us” (NBC)

Comedy Series

“Barry” (HBO)
    “Fleabag” (Amazon Prime)
    “The Good Place” (NBC)
    “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon Prime)
    “Russian Doll” (Netflix)
    “Schitt’s Creek” (Pop)
    “Veep” (HBO)

Limited Series

“Chernobyl” (HBO)
    “Escape at Dannemora” (Showtime)
    “Fosse/Verdon” (FX)
    “Sharp Objects” (HBO)
    “When They See Us” (Netflix)

Television Movie

“Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” (Netflix)
    “Brexit” (HBO)
    “Deadwood: The Movie” (HBO)
    “King Lear” (Amazon Prime)
    “My Dinner with Herve” (HBO)

Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Jason Bateman (“Ozark”)
    Sterling K. Brown (“This Is Us”)
    Kit Harington (“Game of Thrones”)
    Bob Odenkirk (“Better Call Saul”)
    Billy Porter (“Pose”)
    Milo Ventimiglia (“This Is Us”)

Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Emilia Clarke (“Game of Thrones”)
    Jodie Comer (“Killing Eve”)
    Viola Davis (“How to Get Away With Murder”)
    Laura Linney (“Ozark”)
    Mandy Moore (“This Is Us”)
    Sandra Oh (“Killing Eve”)
    Robin Wright (“House of Cards”)

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Anthony Anderson (“Black-ish”)
    Don Cheadle (“Black Monday”)
    Ted Danson (“The Good Place”)
    Michael Douglas (“The Kominsky Method”)
    Bill Hader (“Barry”)
    Eugene Levy (“Schitt’s Creek”)

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Christina Applegate (“Dead to Me”)
    Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus (“Veep”)
    Natasha Lyonne (“Russian Doll”)
    Catherine O’Hara (“Schitt’s Creek”)
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge (“Fleabag”)

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

Mahershala Ali (“True Detective”)
    Benicio Del Toro (“Escape at Dannemora”)
    Hugh Grant (“A Very English Scandal”)
    Jared Harris (“Chernobyl”)
    Jharrel Jerome (“When They See Us”)
    Sam Rockwell (“Fosse/Verdon”)

Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie

Amy Adams (“Sharp Objects”)
    Patricia Arquette (“Escape at Dannemora”)
    Aunjanue Ellis (“When They See Us”)
    Joey King (“The Act”)
    Niecy Nash (“When They See Us”)
    Michelle Williams (“Fosse/Verdon”)

Reality Competition

“The Amazing Race” (CBS)
    “American Ninja Warrior” (NBC)
    “Nailed It” (Netflix)
    “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (VH1)
    “Top Chef” (Bravo)
    “The Voice” (NBC)

Variety Talk Show

“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” (Comedy Central)
    “Full Frontal with Samantha Bee” (TBS)
    “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC)
    “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” (HBO)
    “Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS)
    “Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS)

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Gwendoline Christie (“Game of Thrones”)
    Julia Garner (“Ozark”)
    Lena Headey (“Game of Thrones”)
    Fiona Shaw (“Killing Eve”)
    Sophie Turner (“Game of Thrones”)
    Maisie Williams (“Game of Thrones”)

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

Alfie Allen (“Game of Thrones”)
    Jonathan Banks (“Better Call Saul”)
    Nikolaj Coster-Waldeau (“Game of Thrones”)
    Peter Dinklage (“Game of Thrones”)
    Giancarlo Esposito (“Better Call Saul”)
    Michael Kelly (“House of Cards”)
    Chris Sullivan (“This Is Us”)

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Alex Borstein (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
    Anna Chlumsky (“Veep”)
    Sian Clifford (“Fleabag”)
    Olivia Colman (“Fleabag”)
    Betty Gilpin (“GLOW”)
    Sarah Goldberg (“Barry”)
    Marin Hinkle (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
    Kate McKinnon (“Saturday Night Live”)

I'm still behind in a few of the shows or gave up on some of them, but I find this list to be... meh. I've seen worse but there have been better fields. At least GOT and VEEP are done so all those spots can be filled with new people next year. I've said it before, but the Emmys get stagnant and nominate the same people year after year and those people aren't always the best of the year. It's refreshing when there are new people for new roles/new shows. Seeing Nailed It nominated brought tears to my eyes. Nicole is just such a bundle of fun that I love that people can see it. And how long has Niecy Nash been in stuff and finally getting some recognition? I can't remember if Schitt's Creek or The Good Place got nominated last year, but it warms my cold dead heart to see them, ESPECIALLY because they're not Netflix or HBO shows.

So pleased to see Emilia Clarke acknowledged for her superlative work in the last season of Game of Thrones. Conversely, the only thing Kit Harington should have been nominated for was Best Portrayal of Man with Stubbed Toe. I love JLD, but this should be Rachel Brosnahan's year for best comedy actress. Although, much like Game of Thrones, I see that they decided to nominate that show's worst performance (Alex Borstein) as well.

Some wonderful news in the short categories:

I’m bummed to see Homecoming get snubbed. Along with the crew, both Julia Roberts and Stephan James deserved nominations.

I really hope Amy Adams wins for Sharp Objects but she probably won’t because she never gets the recognition she deserves.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Really happy to see Bodyguard and Sharp Objects nominated.

And that lead actress in a comedy category is a line up of amazing. I do hope Catherine O'Hara gets it, but I'd be happy with any one of them, to be honest. But Amy Adams better win, as that performance in Sharp Objects was one of my favourite tv performances of the year. Richard Madden should have been nominated for his work in Bodyguard too - instead of Kit's meh performance in GOT.

Jesus....who would you pick? Sophie or Maisie for me.

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Gwendoline Christie (“Game of Thrones”)
    Julia Garner (“Ozark”)
    Lena Headey (“Game of Thrones”)
    Fiona Shaw (“Killing Eve”)
    Sophie Turner (“Game of Thrones”)
    Maisie Williams (“Game of Thrones”)

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    Jesus....who would you pick? Sophie or Maisie for me.
    I think Lena is absolutely the greatest but she really wasn't given material worthy of her talent this season. The other three got to do much stronger work. I'm with you on Sophie and Maisie.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    I think Lena is absolutely the greatest but she really wasn't given material worthy of her talent this season.
    For all my issues with the final season, I hadn't thought about that, but damn, you're so right.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Bodyguard!!!!
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I'm so excited for Awards season to start. Or are the music ones the official start? I believe I said this last year, but I really need this break, even if it's just for a few hours one night. Just fun and pointless and escapism and rooting for the underdogs. And shiny, pretty things.

I feel bad for everyone because I'm sweating my ass off inside in my pajamas. I can't imagine all that body makeup and spanx are keeping anyone cool.

ps I hate E!'s coverage. They're making the font of the shows people are on super tiny and it's white on a black, but the black is a little transparent so the letters get lost. The hosts are a little less annoying than the Oscars though.

So far we've had people win who've already won (I like first timers) and the show opened with a rapist. Not a big fan.

Except for Bob Newhart and Catherine O'Hara.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I didn’t catch the opening until the number was halfway done, I think. But I’m always super nervous these days when male comedians get up there or male presenters in general because I have been slammed by friends for not knowing just how many men in entertainment are alleged abusers. Or who will be accused next. Kathy Griffins new movie alleges that we’ll find out about many more soon. I was informed Casey Affleck was and so is Joaquin Phoenix after talking about the joker. And if you’d have told me Charlie Rose, whom I thought a national treasure.. yea. So I won’t be including too many men in my favorites list tonight.

But that was a fantastic show!!! It was entertaining from start to finish. Some of the jokes were smart but most were just so confidently delivered. (The Brexit joke might have taken a second to fully hit, for example, but once it did that was extremely funny)

My highlights:
    1. Game of Thrones cast each getting a louder applause as they moved down the line until Gwendoline got the biggest ovation.
    2. Never heard of Fleabag but after all those wins and an actress I’ve never heard of stole the evening with her effervescent spirit and enthusiasm, I’m gonna watch it now.
    Actually there are so many new shows to me I want to watch after tonight. Chernobyl and Russian Doll. I don’t have HBO but maybe Chernobyl will come out on dvd.
    3. The Veep cast funny sketch
    4. Billy Porter!!!
    5. The Kardashian’s getting laughed at instead of laughed with. I shouldn’t take so much pleasure in that. I’m evil.
    Because 6. The announcer going in on Felicity Huffman cracked me up, too.
    7. Jodie Comer winning. Feck yea!
    And lastly, Michelle Williams speech. I’ll watch that one on YouTube again.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-23-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I hated the show I hate when the same shows as last year win (GOT) or when a new show sweeps almost everything. It needed a host. I couldn't hear Thomas Lennon that well so maybe the show worked better if you could hear him.

Next year will have all new winners since Fleabag, VEEP, and GOT are all done. And I love Last Week Tonight and it's the best, but I want to see someone else win. Mrs Maisel is still on so I guess that'll win most of those categories still. Barry isn't my favorite show and it's not really like... a comedy to me. I mean, it's funny but I don't think it should be in the same category as a comedy comedy. People take DRAMA so seriously that it feels like a dramatic comedy gets more respect than something that's all funny. Comedy is fucking hard. Not saying Barry doesn't do it well if you like its tone, but it feels to me like cheating when it's half and half.

My favorites were any time someone won unexpectedly. Those people gave the best speeches.

I was not amused with accused multiple rapist Anthony Anderson opening the show AND getting on stage, alleged wife beater Terence Howard on the stage, anti-vax Jenny McCarthy doing the purple carpet, medical horseshit Gwenyth Paltrow on the stage. These people are actually dangerous. Fuck them. I mean, I think Tim Allen sucks but I don't think he physically hurts people or defrauds them with fake medical advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I couldn't hear Thomas Lennon that well so maybe the show worked better if you could hear him.
    Oh my!

On Jesse Armstrong, writer of Succession’s “Nobody is Ever Missing,” for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: “Succession is loosely based on the Murdoch family, the same Murdoch family that has ordered me to sit here and tell jokes, and it’s a real pleasure, an absolute pleasure and I want to thank them. I hope my family’s alright.”

On Jason Bateman, Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: “He still wears the same size slacks he wore on Little House on the Prairie. A fourth-level yoga master, he can sleep folded up in a carry-on suitcase.”

And finally, on Felicity Huffman, because of, well, you know: “Our producers have asked me to give a special shoutout to any of our previous lead-actress winners who are watching tonight from prison. Hopefully those two weeks are going to fly right by.”

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    That dig at Huffman had me cackling! His commentary was fantastic.