Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Awards Season 2019-2020

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    I'm back. Lunch was awesome.

The more I think about it, the more I think Lupita should be in there. On pure merit. Us didn't quite hang together, but she was stunning.

Interesting stuff at Gold Derby. Greta has surged into fifth for Director! She went right past Todd Phillips and Noah Baumbach. Of course, Noah is her baby daddy, so that's kinda interesting too. Saoirse and Florence look solid at 4th in their respective categories. Awkwafina looks solid at #5 in her category! Unfortunately, Zhao has been knocked into 6th by A WHITE WOMAN WHO DOESN'T NEED TWO FUCKING NOMINATIONS. Don't get me wrong; I'm entirely pro-ScarJo. But still.

I'm out. it may be a lost cause, but here goes. #TeamChoYeoJeong
    Don't quote me, it's been a long week.. but I think Todd Phillips got in at BAFTA for directing. I think he gets in if my memory of that list is accurate. The guilds have all been agreeing on Joker, 1917, Hollywood, and Irishman. I think they're the only four to get in at all the guilds and I think Joker will have a great day come nominations.

Having seen Little Women.. I wouldn't put Greta in for directing. Scorcese wouldn't be on my list, either, so we're not really talking about a fair playing field at all here. Reputation means a lot. If reputation comes through, that's the best bet maybe Greta will have..but I don't like what she did with this version the more I think on it. Not a bad film, tho. Just nitpicking.
    I know people who haven't read the book or seen the other films who found her non-linear story very confusing.
    Also, Amy's role has been beefed up so much that's really kind of a lead performance from Pugh.

I would have Lulu Wang in for directing, tho. That movie has so much going for it. The story just really warmed the heart and the management of such a large cast and two languages on equal footing. BASICALLY if Alexander Payne was listed as the director of The Farewell.. he'd be nominated no problem. imo.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-11-2020 at 04:10 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    I'm hoping there will be some surprises in the Oscar acting categories.

I haven't seen Joker but I'm hoping Joaquin doesn't win. I used to be a fan but he's gotten pretty insufferable IMO. Haven't seen Rocketman either and although Taron Egerton seems like a cool dude I'm just so sick of biopic performances winning every year. And speaking of... looks like Renee Zellweger may have it in the bag but how great would it be in Awkwafina pulled an Olivia Colman?? Or if Mary Kay Place got a nom? (Also Renee already has an Oscar and I don't really like when actors win multiple times.)

Supporting actor is a dreadfully boring category this year.

Supporting actress... I love Laura Dern, but she was pretty one-note in Marriage Story. A fine performance but nothing near the complex character work she is capable of. I would love if either of the two aforementioned actresses from Parasite got in. Such vivid characters. They made me forget I was watching a movie.

I guess my dream winners, while unrealistic, would be.... Antonio Banderas / Awkwafina / Song Kang-Ho (poor dad from Parasite) / Cho Yeo-Jeong (rich mom from Parasite)
    (But it will probably be four white Hollywood superstars again)
    Not even kidding, I was just thinking wouldn't it be so cool if Song Kang-Ho did get in despite whatever happens with supporting actress? I actually think it's going to happen, now. Now, that I've had time to simmer down.

Unfortunately, Academy voters are only 32% Women. And the BAFTA voters are almost all Academy voters. I worry that those nominations from BAFTA stick hard.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    I'm hoping there will be some surprises in the Oscar acting categories.

I haven't seen Joker but I'm hoping Joaquin doesn't win. I used to be a fan but he's gotten pretty insufferable IMO.
    I'm not particularly a fan of his, either. But this performance still excites me. I think it's one of the most hypnotic, dazzling, stunning... the dancing alone.. everything that those dance scenes communicated. And when he..

I think telling people to stop flying in their private jets to Palms Springs is kind of like telling the garbage collectors to use horse and buggy and not a big rig.. but .. maybe he has a point. He must definitely hate Palm Springs. lol

If he wins it won't be from anything but his performance. He is not swooning voters at the luncheons and I have a feeling he's not going to campaign at all.

I love the interview he gave right after the film came out to that Pop Corn site. (Remember at that time critics were still panning it) The guy was so jazzed up interviewing him. Wanting to know all about the intensity and passion in his performance and where it came from, how he got in that space and if it was hard to disconnect from the character.. and Joaquin basically was like .. It's just a job. We didn't do many takes. After we were done with a take I had no problem leaving the character behind and I've never had that problem. lol. Very modest this Joaquin Phoenix person.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-11-2020 at 04:21 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Nah, Joaquin is right. If those Hollywood fuckers wanna go to Palm Springs, they should get in a goddamned Tesla and drive a couple of hours. Just get on the 10 and drive.

I would certainly vote to nominate Greta for Director, but the one I think she could actually win is Best Adapted Screenplay. That was actually my favorite thing she did; she deconstructed and recontextualized the timeline, which turned into sort of a memory play or reverie for Jo. And then, her choices for Jo set the whole thing up. It manages to be both radical and reverent, and I just loved it.

They did beef Amy up, in service to Greta's agenda of "rehabilitating" that character. But I think Jo is clearly still the lead/central character. Another thing is, well, there are three actresses in their mid-twenties who I consider "great", and Saoirse and Florence are two of them. Their chemistry is off the charts. But no, it's a lead and a supporter. Of course, Florence should be in the Lead race for Midsommar, but that's another matter entirely.

Hey, awards freaks! Critic's Choice is just starting on the CW in the East. Tape delayed out here for whatever reason.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Issa and John should have hosted the actual show.

*announcing directors*

Issa: Congratulations to those... men.

Well, as expected SAG and even more so BAFTA were accurate af.

But this is what makes me fume:
    1. Not one nomination for The Farewell. No acting nominations for Parasite.
    2. Irishman got in way more than I expected.. which.. whatever. When it got in for editing I was really like.. Oscar went for it. And I thought De Niro had a major chance. Nope.
    3. No JLo? Really? I really considered she'd be taken out by one of the Parasite actresses or Shuzen but I really thought she'd get in after her aggressive campaign and the Sunday Morning piece CBS did. Usually that pre-oscar showing gets it right. I remember them getting it right for Helen Mirren, Kate, and Julianne Moore.
    4. That same show did a profile on Eddie Murphy .. nope he's not in.

But the goods. There were a couple surprises.
    1. I loved The Two Popes and they got in for both actors.
    2. Scarjo (2), Banderas, Erivo, Pugh all first time nominees.. I think Pryce might be first time, too.. tho I seem to think he was in before.
    3. Kathy Bates.. I'm fine with that. She did a great job. Honestly, I am surprised that film didn't get anymore noms. I thought it would do like American Sniper and True Grit.. rally at the very last second
    4. Back to Scarjo.. I am low key not going to hate on the double nom. I mean, I'm happy for her. I really loved JoJo Rabbit. I wanted more for it so I'll take her nom, there. Tho she and Bates were probably the knock-out votes for JLo.
    5. JOKER!!! Wow.
    6. And Star Wars really cleaned up where I thought Avengers would. And I am just fine with that.

It's an even race for Best Pic and a two-way race for Director. Whatever wins Editing will be the winner, I think. Joker, Irishman, 1917, and Hollywood for pic and Tarantino and Boon Joon Ho for directing.
    Since I am so disappointed with the acting categories. Any surprise win at SAG and BAFTA will be greatly appreciated. But this is so locked-in for Dern, Pitt, Renee, and Joaquin.

What an incredible year for film and I feel so underwhelmed. It's all just a waiting game, now.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-13-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

J. Lo was running second, but the bottom just fell out of her support. Kathy Bates got the slot; ScarJo and the others were in solid. I think she simply peaked early.,

So, #OscarsSoAlmostWhite. One POC out of 20. That's fucking feeble.

But I'm also not too burned up about the double ScarJo. These are her FIRST TWO nominations. They're making up for lost time.

Issa Rae is doing her best Natalie Portman and I am here for it.

And speaking of which. EW interviewed Florence Pugh after she was (yay) nominated. She was predictably thrilled and grateful. (She was on Instagram within an hour of the announcement, because of course she was.) And then, she lowered the boom regarding her director's snub. She rightly pointed out that the devaluing of women's work is a central topic in Gerwig's movie. So there's a shitty little irony for you. In general, the Director's branch of the Academy is probably their most sexist.

Well, the acting races look like locks, but at least the film/director/screenplay races are more fluid. For now.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

I haven't seen Dolemite, but it sounds like it was on the list of things that one could argue were snubbed. So this is kind of amazing

At least he'll probably get an Emmy nod for SNL. So... there's that.

Holy shit.

Prophecy.

Pretty underwhelmed by the nominations, BUT pretty excited that Antonio Banderas got a nom, and for an Almodovar film no less!

I guess the academy just wasn't into SNL alums this year, just its Weekend Updates' fiances. But we'll always have this random bit to keep us warm at night

Wow.

The film industry is like the Democratic Party—it’s progressive, but it’s still controlled by white people who vote for white things.
    I mean again, I haven't seen enough of the noms and potential noms to know who was robbed, but I've seen enough award seasons to know that even if it was justified this year, it hasn't been in the past... and it probably wasn't this year anyway.

You know, that guy has some great points, and I appreciate vicious satire as much as the next guy. But why is he bagging on white actresses? Cate Blanchett and Reese Witherspoon are not responsible for racism in the film industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    You know, that guy has some great points, and I appreciate vicious satire as much as the next guy. But why is he bagging on white actresses? Cate Blanchett and Reese Witherspoon are not responsible for racism in the film industry.
    I didn't like the "why did xxx person win when yyyy person didn't" and it wasn't even the same YEAR, but I figured his greater point was worthy of ignoring the things I thought were a little pissy.

Oscar has always been the harshest on acting for Asian actors. And in many cases you can’t nominate a film that isn’t there. There were so many opportunities this year. If not now when?

I made a mistake on directing. 1917 got in for screenplay and Hollywood missed in editing. Sam Mendes gonna win Director and Hollywood picture.

A lot of people have said, yes, we expand the diversity in voters but it’s not like we got rid of what was there before.

I’m still waiting on PGA. If PGA goes for Hollywood I think it will win.

So many of the best pic films are about men, only. Kind of shocked Little Women got in. Best Actress hasn’t synced up with winning best pic in some time I think.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.