Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Awards Season 2019-2020

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Well. My grand plan of spending January and early February watching nominees did not go well. I was too invested in impeachment. And when it wasn't on or I was taking a break from coverage, I needed to catch up on other things. I can pause and restart watching a rerun on netflix or whatever, but watching a supposedly good movie for the first time needs a level of concentration I just did not have. And my major complaint about movies being too long is still valid.

So here it is two days away and I've seen a few nominees in the technical categories and that's it. I can't remember when I last saw so few noms. I'm not particularly looking forward to it since I haven't seen anything and there isn't some *amazing* host. I'll watch and I'll be grumpy tired Monday but it's a bummer on a personal level for me.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Well, the Independent Spirit Awards are tomorrow. I think i'll enjoy those much more than the Oscars this year.. if I even watch the Oscars this year. I've been so bummed out. Ah well.

I haven't watched a super amount of the Impeachment stuff but I did watch the New Hampshire debate and thought it was high energy and great for all the candidates. Been a while since they've all done well.
    I move with the trees in the breeze I know that time is elastic.

Florence is not your bitch. Steve SFM's Avatar
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden

I'm not a fan of a nude lip (it doesn't need to be bold red, but some color is nice) nor do I like dresses that are the same tone as the woman's skin. Again, it doesn't have to be bold or black but pale pink and champagne is just ... yawn. Everyone looks like sepia toned.

Damn. The only thing I’ve predicted correctly on my goldderby charts outside of acting awards was costume.
    Yikes. Last year I only missed four awards I think on the card.

JoJo won screenplay!!!!! I’m so happy it won an Oscar!

I got both sound awards right! Tide is turning.

Did you predict Eminem? Cause that is hurting my brain. I still don’t get it. There are a lot more iconic songs.

My favorite parts so far are Pitts speech and the multi lingual Elsa fest.

For a show I was about to write off... this has been a very surprising Oscars. Picture is next.
    I’m glad I tuned in!

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Did you predict Eminem? Cause that is hurting my brain. I still don’t get it. There are a lot more iconic songs.

My favorite parts so far are Pitts speech and the multi lingual Elsa fest.
    No on Eminem. But I thought the song was very appropriate for the night and it came as a shock to the more than happy audience lol

I only just turned it on for the last award.

YAAAAAAASSSSSS!!!!

I can’t believe it!!! Yes yes yes a million times over.

Pretty incredible! What a fantastic upset and a truly deserved win. No one film came close for me this year. The Academy actually got it right!

All the racists on Twitter are melting down.

I love it! So well deserved. One of those movies that you see and know it will forever stick with you.

The most idiotic thing about Twitter is the majority of people who will spend all day arguing about it today probably even haven’t seen the damn movie. (I’m really so sick of social media)

Florence is not your bitch. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Going in, I thought 1917 would win. But when Bong won his first award (screenplay), I sensed something in the room. Usually, when I do that, I'm wrong. This time, I was right. It was like a stampede. And even though it's not at the top of the list, I thought it was very cool. Paradise is an edgy and dark movie, but Bong is a fucking teddy bear, and the whole company seems to be cool people who really dig each other. That's nice to see, and I can't help but think that helped them win.

I thought it was a good show! The music was better than usual. (I think I'm beginning to understand this whole Billie Ellish deal.) The whole non-host show flowed really well, and I loved how people who need no introduction would sometimes show up....without introduction. They need to do that more often.

Best White Girl Hair was Florence Pugh. She has thick, longish hair that her hair dude likes to pull back in a topknot and essentially make a sculpture out of her lacks via knotting and treating. He outdid himself yesterday. Best Black Girl Hair was Zazie Beets, who apparently has a whole fuckload of hair, which was piled on top of her head in soft, messy curls. She looked amazing, but I wouldn't have wanted to sit behind her.

More later.
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden