Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Awards Season 2019-2020

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Booooo. Veep should have won for writing (David Mandel) and Best Supporting Actress (Anna Chlumsky).

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Fleabag is pretty amazing, and quite a journey for that show from a one woman stage performance to what it is now.. incredible to see it rewarded at the Emmys like that. I mean, they hand out Gin & Tonics to people waiting in the queue for theatre tickets now that it's back on in the West End - what's not to love: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...heatre-tickets

The only problem with Fleabag at the Emmys is that Olivia and Sian probably split votes in their category to each of their detriment. To be honest I don't know which one of them should have won anyway - Olivia Coleman is certainly the bigger name and was wonderful in Season 2, but Sian Clifford was more quietly one of the show's MVPs.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I enjoyed Fleabag and the whole female indie creator type of story behind it makes it endearing, but I think The Good Place and Schitt's Creek are better, not the least of which they're true comedies, while Fleabag and most of the other nominees cross the line into dramedy or at least lean heavily on the wall. I love dramedy but awards voters reward them more.

I think The Good Place is terrible. I love Michael Schur's other stuff so I assumed I was going to love it, but I forced myself through two seasons and I just don't get it. Maybe because I find Kristen Bell (and her husband) off-putting.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I think the studio releasing Judy early in the awards season is going to really be a great move. They know she delivered and tho we have an eternity til the nominations the movie should come out on digital/dvd right around the time of voting to give Renee another Oscar push.

It worked for Helen Mirren when the Queen was released early October.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think The Good Place is terrible. I love Michael Schur's other stuff so I assumed I was going to love it, but I forced myself through two seasons and I just don't get it. Maybe because I find Kristen Bell (and her husband) off-putting.
    God. Same and same. I got through maybe three episodes of that show and couldn't bear anything more. Too twee, too earnest, too Ted Danson, too Kristen Bell, and too the entire rest of the cast and writing. Absolutely hated it really. And I too feel somehow repulsed by Kristen Bell and her husband.

Now that we are into October by a week or so it's time to start discussing the films that will contend for Best Picture at the 91st Academy Awards. Buckle up because it's all just beginning.
    Or
    Other films that might get nominations in other categories you're excited about. GoldDerby has been pretty good with their early predictions (October is still early) because of the amount of Experts and Editors that vote on that site.
    This is where they see the race for Best Pic top 10:

Opinions?

I am not sure if I see The Irishman getting many acting nominations which is probably why it's not in the lead. Some say DeNiro could factor in. We'll see.
    Last edited by Volta; 10-09-2019 at 03:38 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Sadly, I think The Irishman will be a hit. It's yet another interminably boring Scorsese affair: no-one actually wants to see it, but reviewers and academy voters will go gaga for it.

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    I like Kristen Bell.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    I like Kristen Bell.
    Is this a bad thing now? I love Kristen Bell!

I think she's a cool person, I just don't particularly care to watch her on screen

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    I've never really seen her in anything, but in interviews and such, she just strikes me as very smart and funny. She used to be on the Craig Ferguson show a lot, and they did some great stuff. She had a feud going with Craig's robot skeleton sidekick Geoff Peterson, because SHE had wanted to be the sidekick.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

Parasite is getting so much twitter talk/love.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.