Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Awards Season 2019-2020

I adore Laura Dern but I really don’t think that’s an award-caliber role or performance in Marriage Story.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

I do not want to see 1917. I got its trailer during Star Wars and I was traumatized by it. And you know what? I'm sure it's fine. I bet it's even good. But what is it going to tell me that I didn't see in War Horse (for the same period) or Saving Private Ryan or the more recent Dunkirk for World Wars in general? What does yet another dude have to say about a war that was over before he was born that some other dude hasn't already said? War is bad? Yeah, I also got that message during Star Wars.
    So I’ve never seen War Horse and I don’t plan on it probably for the same you don’t want to watch 1917. If the ending of War Horse is as sad as I think it is I just don’t want to go there.

I haven’t seen a lot of WW1 movies. And I really loved MIDWAY (WW2). After watching Midway (initially I watched it because Darren Criss was in it) I got super transfixed by the period and watched Ken Burns WW2 documentary on Netflix.
    So I’m a little more receptive I suppose.

And I agree that Oscar has overly rewarded those films. Ricky Gervais famously told Kate Winslet if she wanted an Oscar she’d have to do a WW2 film. And she did. And she won.

Listing the amount of nominations and wins from films and performances from movies in the “Great Wars” period would be quite lengthy.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-06-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    I move with the trees in the breeze I know that time is elastic.

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    I saw 1917, and it was really, really good. I don't even like "war movies."

It's unique in that it was filmed to look as thought it was one take. So it's happening in real time. I've never seen a movie like that before.
    That’s why I want to see it! They screened the film to critics only in November. My friend from the Goldderby forum was there and said the buzz was that 1917 was such a technical achievement that Once Upon a Time and Irishman would have a run for their money in Best Picture.

Was Gravity in real time? I haven’t seen it in forever but I do remember not noticing a lot of cuts.
    From what I’ve researched 1917 doesn’t look like a single cut was made. I’m sure they camouflaged the cuts but the trailer and the commercials for it are so incredible looking I just can’t wait. Ahhh

Now, Once Upon a Time performed very well at the Globes (The Irishman won nothing).
    So... I’m excited because I think Parasite is also going to contend. As a foreign language film it wasn’t eligible to be in the best drama category at Globes.
    I didn’t like Once Upon a Time... I really liked Parasite.
    I also think Parasite is going to get a surprise Oscar nomination in supporting actress for either the wife or the first maid. Maybe like Roma both actresses get in. Roma was so beloved and expected to win Best Picture, a first for a foreign language film, and I feel like Parasite is coming in with even more love.
    It’s really exciting.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-06-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I adore Laura Dern but I really don’t think that’s an award-caliber role or performance in Marriage Story.
    Joyce Eng, one of my fav editors at GoldDerby and one of their most accurate at predictions, has been saying for a long time that Dern is getting her “career” Oscar.
    Joyce has also said she thinks Dern should be in for Little Women and not for Marriage Story.
    I don’t think I agree with that.
    I really loved Marriage Story, too. Even more than Parasite.

We have a good deal of nominations coming up. We’ll really see the shape of things after BAFTA tomorrow.

Florence is not your bitch. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Seems like some of the thoughts here are about Best Supporting Actress. I'm following that race closely at Gold Derby, because I want to make sure the Oscars don't make the same horrible mistake that the GGs and SAGs made and leave a Certain Person without her nomination. So, here's what's happening. Dern is solid in first. Lopez is hanging on to #2, but Robbie is gaining on her. (For Bombshell, which made me sad because she was so magical in OUaTiH. But it turns out she has a stunning monologue in Bombshell. So it's cool.) Certain Person and Zhao are 4 and 5, both trending down but I think they're OK. So that's probably your field. The New York Times loves that idea about loading the field with actresses from Parasite; one has three and the other four in their fields. But at Gold Derby, the highest one is Lee Jung-eun (the maid) at #10. My fave, Cho Yeo-jeong (the rich wife; what an exact, delicate and perfect comedic performance), is #15. So, that probably is a no-go.

Anyway, give it to Laura. If anyone deserves a career Oscar, because of talent and unfailing cool, it's her. And CP is only 24. She has time.

So, what else? I was pissy that Succession didn't get enough nomination love, but it won two of the three races, so that's cool. And a lot of the gang was there. Sarah Snook wore a sparkly black ballgown and she looked like a fuckin' goth princess.

I agree that the actors look solid and that kinda sucks.

The only things I liked about stupid fuckin' Joker were the music and the cinematography. So it was fine that the tall, pretty Icelandic lady won for the former. (Those Iceland people are reinventing movie music, and I am here for it.) Phoenix? Meh. I thought his speech was quite the entertaining trainwreck, but -- and I know I sound like a teenage girl in 1998 -- that Oscar belongs to Leo.

Ricky? Some great jokes and uncomfortable truths, but his agony got boring pretty fast. To my mind, the main story of this show is who seemingly the unanimous choice for Ricky's replacement is.
    Last edited by Steve SFM; 01-07-2020 at 04:03 AM.
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden

I can just imagine the eyes that were rolling when BAFTA announced their nominations this morning.
    I mean... really?

Why? Because the acting noms were a bunch of fucking whities? Oscars better fix that shit.

Speaking of which, there’d better not be five people with penises in the Best Director Oscar category. (BAFTA fucked that one up, too.) Oh, and Little Women is now my favorite film of the year. So, yeah. We need Greta here.

But Saoirse and the CP got nods, so that’s OK. Really, the best BAFTA category is Best Newcomer, which actually is 60% POC! (One Asian woman — Awkwafina — and two black dudes, one of whom, Kelvin Harrison Jr., is gonna be a huge fucking star.) But my vote would go to Kaitlyn Dever, who is absolutely amazing. Definitely the second best actress under 25 in the movies.

Oh, and sorry about the cutesy CP shit. CP is Florence Pugh.
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden

I think for me it speaks to just how wrong most of the "experts" got it. They thought BAFTA would come to their rescue and hold up their predictions and the trends and word of mouth that made them think Shuzen Zhao or Lupita N'Yongo or Cynthia Erivo or any of the actresses from Parasite..even friggin JLo would get in the acting categories.

I mean, Margot Robbie in twice for the same category?? Scarlet nominated twice in different categories would have been enough to frown upon..It makes it look like it was a bad year for performances from actresses (and it wasn't at all - it was an incredible year) and again it's just shocking how BAFTA actually was the most conservative/safe awards program of them all. Well, we still have to see what the Academy Awards does.
    You pull Scarlet out of supporting and one of Margot's and that's two spots for women who really should be there. Spread the love around. My goodness.

It's fine, tho. Kind of unbelievable when you think of just how few spots there are to begin with. Only five chances and you have given two actors more than one nomination in major acting categories?
    Akwafina in some weird emerging star bs?? The movie and that performance has so much heart and just deserves way better. It's almost smack in the face. ohwell. It's better than nothing I guess.

At least in the case of De Niro they kept it consistent. I'm just baffled that the Irishman can be so loved and the title character, the dude who is the actual Irishman isn't even nominated. LMAO. I think there are some voters that are sending him a real strong message about his political outbursts.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-08-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Ok, I’ve simmered down. Oscar always has one or two good surprises in acting and recently in editing.
    But I think it will be something in Best Actor.
    Taron Egerton keeping his spot would be a surprise. The actor from Richard Jewell getting in. Maybe Jamie Foxx gets in for Just Mercy.

I think it really doubtful that any acting nominations go to Parasite, now. Voters just aren’t and haven’t bitten on that line. Shuzen getting in and JLo just hanging on would be a surprise. I don’t think Oscar goes for Scarjo in supporting or twice for Robbie. No way. I think Anette Bening getting in is extremely possible. In that same vain Kathy Bates wouldn’t be a shocker now that we know just how much Parasite’s chances are very slim to none.

I’d say Awkwafina is in at this point. BAFTA didn’t completely leave her out. I think her film also gets a screenwriting nom.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-08-2020 at 03:05 AM.

I'm hoping there will be some surprises in the Oscar acting categories.

I haven't seen Joker but I'm hoping Joaquin doesn't win. I used to be a fan but he's gotten pretty insufferable IMO. Haven't seen Rocketman either and although Taron Egerton seems like a cool dude I'm just so sick of biopic performances winning every year. And speaking of... looks like Renee Zellweger may have it in the bag but how great would it be in Awkwafina pulled an Olivia Colman?? Or if Mary Kay Place got a nom? (Also Renee already has an Oscar and I don't really like when actors win multiple times.)

Supporting actor is a dreadfully boring category this year.

Supporting actress... I love Laura Dern, but she was pretty one-note in Marriage Story. A fine performance but nothing near the complex character work she is capable of. I would love if either of the two aforementioned actresses from Parasite got in. Such vivid characters. They made me forget I was watching a movie.

I guess my dream winners, while unrealistic, would be.... Antonio Banderas / Awkwafina / Song Kang-Ho (poor dad from Parasite) / Cho Yeo-Jeong (rich mom from Parasite)
    (But it will probably be four white Hollywood superstars again)
    Last edited by plastic•husband; 01-09-2020 at 06:29 AM.

Well, yeah, Joaquin and Renee and Laura and Brad are all White Hollywood Superstars, so yeah.

A lot of people are predicting a "surprise" nomination for Edgerton. I think he gets in. In part, because he's so likable.

As I've said, I'd give Best Actor to Leo. He had so many things to do with that character -- so many different levels and emotion -- and he nailed all of it.

I gotta go eat. More later.

I'm back. Lunch was awesome.

The more I think about it, the more I think Lupita should be in there. On pure merit. Us didn't quite hang together, but she was stunning.

Interesting stuff at Gold Derby. Greta has surged into fifth for Director! She went right past Todd Phillips and Noah Baumbach. Of course, Noah is her baby daddy, so that's kinda interesting too. Saoirse and Florence look solid at 4th in their respective categories. Awkwafina looks solid at #5 in her category! Unfortunately, Zhao has been knocked into 6th by A WHITE WOMAN WHO DOESN'T NEED TWO FUCKING NOMINATIONS. Don't get me wrong; I'm entirely pro-ScarJo. But still.

I'm out. it may be a lost cause, but here goes. #TeamChoYeoJeong

I could be wrong but I think the Academy changed the rule so that no one person can have multiple acting nominations in one year. Not sure how that works with the preferential ballot system though.

^They did change the rule. Also next year won't be so truncated. It's going back to a longer schedule and I think that will be a bit more helpful in getting some surprise nominations.