Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impeachment: The Theatrics of Futility

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar

Impeachment: The Theatrics of Futility

With the Senate locked down by the GOP, 45 will not be convicted. The Rule of Law has been suspended, maybe permenently. However maybe some of the drama could be discussed here.

I'll begin with this "bombshell" phone call that a member of Taylor's staff told him about. Nice ancedote but could it be used to convict someone? Not sure I would have even brought that up since it's definitely secondhand info.

Of course the GOP will scream like babies with full diapers so I won't even go into their tantrums here.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    I'll begin with this "bombshell" phone call that a member of Taylor's staff told him about. Nice ancedote but could it be used to convict someone? Not sure I would have even brought that up since it's definitely secondhand info.
    Not a bombshell for sure, but I think since the media has already picked over all the closed door testimony transcripts I think it is important that bits of new information no matter how impactful it is gets out. It is important to keep the media attention on. And also who knows what it may lead to. For example:

The might need to come forward. Anyone know how effective over hearing a conversation is when trying to convict someone of a crime? Would it be admissible in court?

It’s likely the call was picked up by multiple intelligence sources considering it was made over an unsecured line. Not sure how difficult it would be for the House to obtain, though.

Ms. Yovanovitch. Bless her. She gave her all and that's all anyone can ask or do. Even with 45's idiotic tweet this morning.

I have to hand it to her, Pelosi is really a master at needling Trump in the press. It is quite fun to watch.

I saw that just before heading to bed. Hard to argue with what I consider to be true.

brutal, but true

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I know it's been mostly dead in here, but I was like "I can't believe no one is talking about this!"

Guess I should still check "new posts" from time to time.

While I don't think the Senate will vote to remove, or even convict and just censure, I don't think it's 100%. If it were to happen tomorrow, sure he gets off, but the two days of hearings have been a total fucking shit show and it's only going to get worse. The first polls haven't been done either. Taking into account the brutal slaughter in the elections in 18 and 19, I think the GOP patience isn't as limitless as it was in say Feb 17. They will only protect him only as long as NOT protecting him hurts them. As soon as it tilts, he's toast. He isn't personable and charming, he has no deep network of buddies and favors due. He has no history, no legacy, nothing to offer them but fear he'll attack them and support their primary opponents. They will probably stick with him, but I can at least now see maybe MAYBE they all won't if it gets worse and worse.

I don't expect the GOP (or DINOs like Manchin) to actually show character, but I can see under a very limited set of circumstances where they pretend to.

And to delve into paranoia land... what do you all think about the unexpected, not due yet "physical" today? Did this week's hearings break something inside of that tub of orange jello?

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    What's insane is that a Democrat president would have been removed ages ago for just a single week of what trump has done. And yet, trump just keeps proving himself to be more and more craven and self serving, his policies are weakening us oversees and giving our adversaries a step up. It's insane! And yet, the GOP can magically afford to just defend this shit show over and over and still not have it hurt them? It's really disappointing and disheartening.

And to delve into paranoia land... what do you all think about the unexpected, not due yet "physical" today? Did this week's hearings break something inside of that tub of orange jello?
    Anxiety attack is my guess. Speaking from experience, they can feel very much like a heart attack.

This Vindman guy. Er. LIEUTENANT COLONEL. He's great. Gym Jordan is a national embarrassment. Every time Nunes pops up I moo.

I am so thankful that the Democrats have Daniel Goldman doing a lot of the questioning. He is amazing! He is doing a much better job than any of the Democratic representatives could.

I liked how Vindman carefully weighed each question before answering. He really wanted to be sure what he was saying was accurate.

I could only stand a clue of minutes of Nunes.

That weird speech Trump gave where everyone got to see his notes... this is all I could think of