Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Thread

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar

The Coronavirus Thread

Not sure if there is a thread for this already, but it is looking like this is something we are going to be dealing with for a while. I have no idea what to think of all this, but it is definitely going to be very disruptive. There apparently is a suspected case in the hospital right near my parents next to my hometown. So crazy. How are you all dealing with this?

I'm trying not to overreact. But I'm definitely going to stock up on food and necessities this weekend as a precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    Not sure if there is a thread for this already, but it is looking like this is something we are going to be dealing with for a while. I have no idea what to think of all this, but it is definitely going to be very disruptive. There apparently is a suspected case in the hospital right near my parents next to my hometown. So crazy. How are you all dealing with this?

I'm trying not to overreact. But I'm definitely going to stock up on food and necessities this weekend as a precaution.
    I think the most important thing is washing our hands again and again and again thoroughly for at least 20 sec with water and soap and trying to avoid touching our faces with our hands.
    In my little hometown in northern germany, no corona case has surfaced so far.
    Yet: desinfaction lotions and paper masks are already sold out in many of my local super markets, though they are of almost no use for keeping you safe from the virus.
    People are also starting to buy canned foods a little bit more than usual.

But at this moment, it is making very little sense to me to buy that, the risk is still considered to be at a low to moderate level.
    It is still more likely to catch the seasonal flu than coved-19.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I pick up a little extra of the things I need every time I go shopping. Not hording. Just... a package of ramen. A box of cookies. I don't have the money or space to really go cuckoo (and I need to fight my overactive imagination), but a little bit extra of things I'll use is reasonable. I already wash my hands till they bleed in the winter.

I was listening to the symptoms and I was like "oh no I have that and that and that and..." I can't imagine how I'd have gotten it so it must be just a lingering cold. Today I started coughing and I was like oh no i'm gonna die. No you moron. You're fine.

And obviously having Trump in office and his idiots running any kind of national reaction to this is going to make things worse. People who don't believe in science can't do this.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    My partner and I stocked up on extra groceries and cleaning supplies during the week. Like Regina, we figure having extra stuff around that we'll eventually use up regardless of what happens can't hurt, just so we can avoid shopping for a while. I'm not overly concerned about being exposed at this time because we work from home, already don't spend a lot of time in crowded public places, and we became very vigilant about hand washing and avoiding touching our faces when we used to work in busy places open to the public. I'm actually more concerned that if things get really bad, there could be an uptick in violence and also hate crimes against people of Asian backgrounds by panicking, bigoted assholes.

In response to extensive global outbreaks, I wonder if this virus will mark a historical shift toward creating a larger remote work force for whatever jobs can be done from home. It's plausible that if companies see that a) they can save money in the long run by allowing people to work from home and cutting building maintenance costs and b) the work still actually gets done, they might not require employees to make the shift back from remote work to work in a physical building when this virus is no longer a threat. Of course, this would only apply to jobs that don't require a physical presence to do. I really worry about people who might go to work when sick because their job can't be done from home and they don't have adequate paid sick time to use from their employers. And, of course, older people, those of any age who have existing health problems, and anyone who doesn't have health insurance.
    Last edited by emanate; 03-01-2020 at 08:38 PM.

This is when I’m glad I work from home. I’m curious how this impacts the economy if and when they start closing things like schools, offices, etc.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emanate View Post
    I'm actually more concerned that if things get really bad, there could be an uptick in violence and also hate crimes against people of Asian backgrounds by panicking, bigoted assholes.
    Yup. SF just had two incidences of Asian men being beaten in public by strangers over corona panic, a friend of mine is reporting that her Chinese neighbors just got doxxed to the whole apartment complex for having traveled last month, one of my Asian friends got verbally harassed last night, Chinese restaurants are reporting slowed business, it's ugly.

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Ugh, there was a viral video of an elderly Asian man getting hit, harassed and robbed of recyclables (of all things). It was heartbreaking; he was so scared. People become extra stupid when panic sets in.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    I'm on immunosuppressive drugs so I'm scared of all germs. This is just the germ du jour that might keep me from traveling in April if they start canceling flights.

I think it's being so heavily covered because it's a new version of a common bug. I'd wager there are many more flu deaths right now that are going being ignored.

That's not to say I won't be buying a few extra things just in case. Canned goods, staples, etc.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    The media is turning this into a panic circus, it should be made clear that the measures taken are an attempt to prevent a new recurring seasonal disease like flu, not to protect individuals from the virus per se. It's not that bad.

Im just waiting for the anti vaxxers to blame corona on vaccination. Corona is relatively harmless compared to say, measles - which used to result in 2 million deaths a year before the vaccin (lower mortality rate but way more contagious). The media should be using this comparison to attack the movement. But yeah, jounalists arent scientists, they are people that sell bad news very well.
    Join the Unf Discord (any device)! 60+ folks have already joined. https://discord.gg/6ek5qzz

This is going just as well as I anticipated

I hope Mike is praying really hard.

Surely he wouldn't touch his face and...

Well but that's it right?

Oh.

OMG

Could we be saved by the Coronavirus?!? You KNOW Pence doesn't have a strong immunes system!
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

I try to be extra aware about things like hand hygiene & stuff, but am also bored with the mediacircus surrounding the coronavirus...people get panicked way too easily

what baffles me is how the media totally gets on this, everyone knows about it, but half of the people I talk to haven't heard a thing yet about the locust plague happening in Africa now...which I fear can also have long term effects for people

We have a case in my county. Several "went to high-risk countries and are self-quarantining" people. A few school closings in an abundance of caution, colleges closing down functions. Trips canceled. No community spread yet. That we know of, of course, because god forbid we ask one of the countries who had this before us for their testing tech or help. Warren would have had a plan for that.

eta: I also timed out the bridge of Pretty Good Year and it's about 20 seconds, the length you're supposed to wash your hands. The "What's it gonna take" part of the song.
    Last edited by Regina Phalange; 03-06-2020 at 11:59 PM.