Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Staying sane while the world is one fire?

hoo
    Headspace has opened up a lot of its app for free for the time being: https://www.headspace.com/covid-19

There are a lot of unknowns in the world right now. But one thing is certain — Headspace is here for you. To help support you through this time of crisis, we’re offering some meditations you can listen to anytime.

These are part of a larger collection in the Headspace app — free for everyone — called Weathering the storm. It includes meditations, sleep, and movement exercises to help you out, however you’re feeling. It’s our small way of helping you find some space and kindness for yourself and those around you.

Not sure if it will be available outside the UK or not but I will be enjoying some Shakespeare in my home.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Get some National Theatre free in your homes too.

And they've confirmed that will be available internationally.

Hope they add TLP and Hadestown!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    That’s cool! I’ve always wanted to see that Frankenstein.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    After I'm done painting them, I hide them around town. They have a little note on the back to post a pic if found, but people rarely follow through on that.

Attachment 2333Attachment 2334Attachment 2335Attachment 2336Attachment 2337
    How awesome!! Love the creativity.

Florence is not your bitch. Steve SFM's Avatar
    Four words: Florence Pugh cooking videos. They will save you, as they have saved me.

Seriously, I am fascinated by the whole thing of celebrities trying to make their fans laugh or relax, or to give them a pep talk. I think it's interesting to see how their own personalities, real and imagined, manifest. And, how we interpret these things. For example, a video of Emilia Clarke giving a pep talk to teen girls reminded me that she is, quite literally, THE NICEST PERSON IN THE WORLD.

I called a friend tonight. She was working out! I've never known her to work out.

MTC, I too was self-quarantining before it was cool! I've had fairly bad headaches/nausea for months now. Apparently, it's Not Cancer, but it's been debilitating. (The only thing that helps is, like, weed, man.) So I wish I was doing something productive, like you are. I'm grateful for the Netflix Machine.

I suppose I could try to figure out Spotify

April is going to be fucking horrific. Have no shame about doing silly shit to stay sane.

But seriously. Does butternut squash soup with potato-chorizo topping sound good to you? Florence can hook you up.
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden

It's been a while since (appr. 30 years) I last crocheted something.
    But I got me some yarn for knitting before all of this madness started and instead of knitting, I ended up crocheting again.

There are fantastic cideo tutorials and online helps for that.

I am crocheting a scarf with a pineapple stitch pattern (it looks more complicated as it is to make - and she is a good teacher): http://kikicrochet-english.blogspot....os-videos.html
    And the voice of this woman and her cute accent sooth me every time.

I’ve been being intentional about taking more time away from my phone. I’ve found putting on a movie helps because it’s a longer length of time where I can just put the phone down completely and focus on one thing. Otherwise it’s just jumping from Instagram to Twitter to an article back to Instagram on a loop. I also blocked Twitter on my laptop which is eye-opening in seeing how often I go to open it without even thinking about it.

The thing that’s helping the most by far is exercising. I’ve been doing a Fitness Blender workout program that is just like a 30-45 minute YouTube video each day (highly recommend their YouTube channel), but I find it’s the best I feel all day because I can just put on some fun music and zone out. It’s rewarding once I’m done plus i also think it helps me sleep better from being more physically tired. Here’s the link to Fitness Blender: https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

The videos are all free but you can also purchase workout programs on their site where you have a calendar which tells you which workout to do each day and tracks your progress. A couple of them are on sale for $4.50 right now, including the one I’m doing.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I actually just started an exercise routine as well. I'm about 7 days into it. I was never a morning exercise person. When I did exercise it used to be a run after work. My routine is only a 1/2 hour every morning but it makes a huge difference in my day. At least in the old world I had a nice walk from the parking lot down the street to the office. Now working from home I was becoming way to sedentary.

I still look at the news and twitter way too much. I'm getting better at trying to tune them out, but I still find myself down some dark depressing rabbit holes.

Work has been somewhat steady so that has been keeping me busy. Recently I've been seeking out pro shot musicals to watch to distract me. I just watched a production of Merrily We Roll Along which was nice. And then also of course I am making my way through Tiger King.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Seriously, I am fascinated by the whole thing of celebrities trying to make their fans laugh or relax, or to give them a pep talk. I think it's interesting to see how their own personalities, real and imagined, manifest. And, how we interpret these things. For example, a video of Emilia Clarke giving a pep talk to teen girls reminded me that she is, quite literally, THE NICEST PERSON IN THE WORLD.
    Sam Neill is a delight on Twitter.

I had such a Jurassic Park-era Sam Neill crush.

Sam Neill Radiohead! Both of those were great, although I did get something in my eye towards the end of both of them. Funny, that. But yes, what a delightful and soothing presence. Thanks, beanstew!

I think the reason I respond so well to actors (mostly, but not exclusively, female) is that communicating emotion is their job. They're feeling the same shit all of us are feeling. Many of us feel we'd like to be able to DO something. That's something these folks can do, really well. And if you're a bit of a showoff, you can also do it, for your friends.

For most of us, the best thing to do is stay the fuck home and try not to go crazy. And that IS important.

As for "something in my eye", I have been more tearful lately. So far, it's about witnessing good deeds and hearing nice messages. I wonder if I'm preparing myself for crying out of grief. I kinda hope I am. There'll be a lot of grief to cry about.

In the meantime, maybe we should all buy a ukulele.
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Oh man. This is so fucking spot on, this twitter parody account.

Sometimes we need shows to binge, workouts to do. Sometimes we just need something light to scroll through and chuckle snobbily to ourselves.

In times when it really is good to treat each other with respect, mean humor directed at those who deserve it can be a tonic.

Some people say only to watch positive and uplifting TV/movies right now. Fuck that! Last week I watched two seasons of American Horror Story, Hotel and Roanoke. The former is especially fucked up. Whee!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Community is coming to Netflix this week. I was thinking of doing a rewatch and now it'll be easier.