Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Hurricane Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Yay. We get to play the Hurricane Season game for the first time in 50 years or so. https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

trigger warning: Fori
    Stay safe.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Luckily it shifted course and will hit the south of the country full force, instead of the west, where I am. That was the initial forecast - that it would hit the west coast hardest. But we're still expecting hurricane force winds and the heavy rainfall joys.

Helped my parents prep their house today as even a regular bad storm in winter will cause damage up on the hills, so they're likely to be worse affected than I will be. They're quite exposed to winds. But hopefully there won't be major damage.

Last one was Hurricane Debbie in 1961, which killed 11 people in Ireland. This storm looks to be around the same strength, if not stronger.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Yay. We get to play the Hurricane Season game for the first time in 50 years or so. https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

trigger warning: Fori
    I had no idea hurricanes could pose a threat to Ireland. Be safe.

Oh, and those videos? Natalie >>>>>>> Fori

The one good thing is that it’s moving really quickly so it shouldn’t sit on top of you with the heavy winds and rain. The worst ones are the ones that are creeping along at a few mph, flooding everything.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    I had no idea hurricanes could pose a threat to Ireland. Be safe.
    They don't! This is pretty exceptional circumstances. We often get Atlantic storms that are remnants of hurricanes that hit the USA, but it's pretty rare for an actual hurricane to come this way.

Ophelia has already made history as the furthest east an Atlantic hurricane has been. It's the strongest eastern Atlantic hurricane on record too

The headline this morning is: "Hurricane Florence charges toward Carolinas with ‘potential for unbelievable damage!’"

I have a friend who lives exactly where landfall is predicted to strike, and she still hasn't evacuated yet.

How are my fellow forumzers doing?

My family is in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and the Greenville area of North Carolina! My sister in Virginia is under a mandatory evacuation order, but my nephew is highly special needs. You just cannot pack him up and take him somewhere.

My mom in North Carolina did finally convince my 96 year old grandma that she'll have to come stay with her during the hurricane. I am in Indiana and I half jokingly said to my mom pack everyone up and bring them to our 1,450 square foot house!
    Last edited by entropy; 09-12-2018 at 02:50 PM.

My friend's son is a special needs child as well, but he can be moved. She's just kind of oblivious to the danger. She and her family should have left yesterday, for god's sake.

I hope your family stays safe, entropy.

A friend of mine is in school in North Carolina and as of this morning his campus’s Twitter account still claims they’ve made no decisions about closing classes. They say they’re “monitoring” the situation. I told him fuck that, you need to leave.

Even if you’re not going to feel the full brunt of the storm on the coast, the winds will still be strong enough inland to rip down trees and power lines. They’re predicting up to 20” of rain in some places, which is going to cause rivers to eventually surge and flood as all that water moves downstream for the coast.

I can tell you after living in Florida my whole life that the aftermath in a lot of ways is the worst part. Sometimes power isn’t restored for weeks. During Hurricane Matthew my parents didn’t have power for 14 days, and none of the local stores had fuel or supplies. Unless you have enough provisions and/or a generator to get you through 7 - 18 days with no power, you should consider leaving. If you’re in low, wet areas you definitely should leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    A friend of mine is in school in North Carolina and as of this morning his campus’s Twitter account still claims they’ve made no decisions about closing classes. They say they’re “monitoring” the situation. I told him fuck that, you need to leave.

Even if you’re not going to feel the full brunt of the storm on the coast, the winds will still be strong enough inland to rip down trees and power lines. They’re predicting up to 20” of rain in some places, which is going to cause rivers to eventually surge and flood as all that water moves downstream for the coast.

I can tell you after living in Florida my whole life that the aftermath in a lot of ways is the worst part. Sometimes power isn’t restored for weeks. During Hurricane Matthew my parents didn’t have power for 14 days, and none of the local stores had fuel or supplies. Unless you have enough provisions and/or a generator to get you through 7 - 18 days with no power, you should consider leaving. If you’re in low, wet areas you definitely should leave.
    If your friend is at ECU or UNC Wilmington, yeah, GO!!! And what you are saying about the aftermath is absolutely correct. My mom and family in NC have had a lot of trouble in the aftermath. Certain parts of the city she was in were completely flooded for several weeks. No school for for several weeks. My mom's husband lost his house in one of the storms. Growing up, we never really had any major storms. But since I have left home, there has been several, geography altering storms to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    My friend's son is a special needs child as well, but he can be moved. She's just kind of oblivious to the danger. She and her family should have left yesterday, for god's sake.

I hope your family stays safe, entropy.
    Thank you!!!!

I've got two friends in Raleigh who are staying put because they have a generator. Guess what happened when they tested the generator? It didn't work.

I have friends in Charleson who are debating leaving tonight to come stay with us in Atlanta. They live on the water so no matter what - it won't be good.

Bracing myself for Florida storms. My sister died in April and she was the one who drove my mom to Atlanta or somewhere else when things got bad; like last year. So... just another way sudden death and grief hits you in other strange places in your life... even hurricane season.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

Well it looks like my sister might be OK because of the southern turn, but my mom and all my family in NC is well preparing and bracing!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    They found thousands of bottles of water in Puerto Rico that were never distributed this week. The govt is taking FEMA money to make internment camps for undocumented families.

Get out if you’re in the area. Your states are poorly run and the feds don’t care any more.