Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Sheryl Crow Thread

I'm not wild about this news. I love the album format as well, and given healthy (and growing!) sales of vinyl as well as several recent major albums that have been hailed as masterpieces and sold well without traditional chart-topping singles, the album format still definitely has signs of life. Sheryl is also, to my mind, totally an album artist. While she has a lot of great singles, her later hits in particular ("Soak Up the Sun," "The First Cut is the Deepest") don't show off the depth and range of her artistry. Years ago, I remember making a mix of some of her best non-singles for a friend of mine who wasn't totally sold on her, and he became a fan after that. I'll often put my music on shuffle at home, and my partner has commented on several of her non-singles he's liked that he didn't even know were by her ("Stop" is a particular favorite).

So ... I'm not sure how well this new strategy will work for her. I imagine that a decent chunk of her remaining fan base are probably folks that would be more likely to buy a CD of hers at Barnes & Noble rather than download individual tracks on Stem. I think it might be challenging for her to get the word out on these standalone singles. She's not Drake, who can just drop a track and have it blow up. Sheryl is a likeable and charming talk show guest and she knows how to work the promotion circuit--I do think that this has benefitted her in the past, and wonder how this might change if she doesn't have a full album to promote (it might not change at all, who knows).

I'm hoping she changes her mind, and she has been known to change her mind a lot. She kept on saying she was going to make a country album several records in a row before finally releasing Feels Like Home. There was talk of a double album that never came to be. She had talked about releasing two albums in one year at one point. My hope is that even if she releases standalone singles for a while, she returns to making full albums. We shall see. In the meantime, I'm glad we'll be getting another album next year. She's collaborated well with a wide range of artists, maintaining her own identity while allowing the other artist's style to shine--I imagine the next record might sound a bit more like a compilation than a cohesive album, but I'm fine with it as long as it's good and it doesn't sound like a latter-day Barbara Streisand duets album.

I'm sure the "final album" tag will be used for promotional purposes--and maybe that will finally push along vinyl reissues of her earlier records! I've had the sense that she'll be due for a bit of a (favorable) critical re-assessment of her work at some point. Her albums have held up quite well.

One final note--I like the new track with her and St. Vincent! That was totally unexpected.

Love the new song with Annie!
    So refreshing.

This is sort of random--Home for Christmas is being released on vinyl on 9/21/18.

I actually think it's a wonderful Christmas album, and I like it a lot ... but most people probably don't even know that it exists. It's a little odd that it's getting a vinyl release when none of her studio albums (except for Be Myself) have been issued on vinyl.

Maybe this is signalling a holiday release of her catalogue? We are SO overdue.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    That really is an odd choice, though I do wish it success because it's definitely one of the better Christmas albums to come out in a while.

Just read that "Tuesday Night Music Club" double-LP is an Record Store Day First release, the day after Thanksgiving...meaning we should see a wider release at some point after that.

Whoa! Now we're talking. I will definitely be picking this up.

In other news, she was not among the nominees for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Maybe someday, I hope.