Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sheryl Crow Thread

Thumbs up The Sheryl Crow Thread

Sheryl Crow has a new album OUT NOW so let's discuss her! It's called 100 Miles From Memphis and has a 70s R&B sound going on.

Tracklist:
    1. Our Love Is Fading
    2. Eye to Eye feat. Keith Richards
    3. Sign Your Name feat. Justin Timberlake (originally by Terence Trent D'arby)
    4. Summer Day
    5. Long Road Home
    6. Say What You Want
    7. Peaceful Feeling
    8. Stop
    9. Sideways feat. Citizen Cope (originally by Citizen Cope)
    10. 100 Miles From Memphis
    11. Roses and Moonlight
    12. I Want You Back (originally by Michael Jackson)

You can find clips on Irish iTunes and here's a video of the first single Summer Day:

A bunch of the clips sound very promising and I love the new song. I don't know if she'll ever be able to top her 90's albums (CLASSICS!!!) but she hasn't put out a single bad album, IMO.
    Last edited by Jamiieee; 07-20-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added the tracklist

^I agree, she's fairly consistent. Even her two worst received albums (C'Mon C'Mon and Wildflower) have some great tracks. Detours was a return to form, but it's nice to see her trying something new.

Based on clips, I'm extremely excited to hear the full album. The sound is definitely R&B leaning but it suits her. Not to mention, her voice sounds natural and raw, no more auto-tune and Adult ACness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Based on clips, I'm extremely excited to hear the full album. The sound is definitely R&B leaning but it suits her.
    It really does seem like a great sound for her to explore and it's unsurprising since she's dabbled in this kind of sound going all the way back to her debut (e.g., What I Can Do For You seems like country-soul to me) and even on the last album (Beautiful Dream really hinted at this direction). The album doesn't seem to be gathering too much steam unfortunately. Maybe she should have released the song with Justin Timberlake on it or the Michael Jackson cover to get the word out.

^Totally. I think had she released her I Want You Back cover around this time, in commemoration of MJ's passing, she'd probably have more attention on the album. Then again, people may accuse her of trying to capitalize on his death or something.

Regardless, I'll be picking up the album for sure.

It's leaked! It's leaked!! And it's fucking AWESOME!

Hands down the most consistent album she's released since The Globe Sessions. I'm totally digging her doing white girl/Dusty Springfield/Memphis soul.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    Hands down the most consistent album she's released since The Globe Sessions.
    Agreed! I think Our Love Is Fading may be my favourite though. It's amazing!

ETA: How awesome is the Sign Your Name cover? I kinda hate Justin Timberlake but his BVs are actually pretty good here.
    Last edited by Jamiieee; 07-13-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Here's the official Summer Day video:

Fuck'n The Pain Away Aerelonian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiieee View Post
    Agreed! I think Our Love Is Fading may be my favourite though. It's amazing!

ETA: How awesome is the Sign Your Name cover? I kinda hate Justin Timberlake but his BVs are actually pretty good here.
    Love the Sign Your Name Cover!!! Someone has awesome taste in music and MEN!
    I'm new here. Judge me... but not too harshly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerelonian View Post
    Love the Sign Your Name Cover!!! Someone has awesome taste in music and MEN!
    That's just a fact.

"Summer Day" deserves to be all over radio. Seriously. I get that she's approaching 50 and that's just not going to happen, but it has "hit" written all over it.

I am SO excited to buy this album! FYI ... the Barnes & Noble version will have a few bonus tracks (stripped down versions of a few album cuts).

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    really enjoying this album so far too...i love "Sideways with Citizen Cope and definitely the "Sign My Name" cover with JT. i like that his background vocals are so understated.

While it's hard to compare this against her back catalogue, there's no denying this is one of her strongest records to date. She had a vision for what she wanted this to sound like and accomplished it perfectly. The album has a nice flow and feels really organic; she sounds like she's enjoying herself and loving the songs she's singing. You can even tell by the lengths of the tracks that this isn't an album made for radio. It's pure expression and takes me back to the reason why I love Sheryl in the first place. A from me, and I can't wait to spend more time with it this summer!

While I can appreciate what she was trying to go for, unfortunately the album leaves me cold. I have listened a few times but the sound of the record just isn't for me. This is the only record of hers that I have disliked totally.

Same here; I think it's well-crafted, well-produced and she met all of her goals. It's just not my genre, I guess. None of the songs will be in my Sheryl Top 20 list at any point unless something clicks soon. I don't even really want to listen to it again at the moment, which is a bummer. i don't hate it, just completely 100% ambivalent. Between this, Patty Griffin's gospel album, and Natalie Merchant's poetry album, I'm really starting to lament the absence of non-theme/genre albums this year