Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Sheryl Crow Thread

Yikes; that is awful! Detours and Wildflower both debuted at No. 2 and they didn't have a hit single between them. 100 Miles From Memphis hit No. 3 and even Feels Like home hit No. 7. I would have sworn she had a built-in base to hit the Top 10. Maybe people REALLY didn't like the country album?!

If she still plans on putting out a duets album with famous friends, hopefully that turns around a few more copies. Be Myself definitely deserved better.

True. Wildflower was released at a point when she was really hot, though--she was coming off of a string of hit singles with "Soak Up the Sun," "Picture," and "The First Cut is the Deepest." With Detours, there was a lot of interest in her as a public figure and the album addressed cancer, the dissolution of her relationship with Lance Armstrong, and motherhood--that record had a lot of talking points!

I don't think the reception to the country album would totally explain Be Myself's low debut. I know a lot of folks here didn't like Feels Like Home, but it actually received solid reviews and at least debuted well. It's not like she was following up The Spirit Indestructible.

I have a couple of thoughts about this, though. One is obvious: she's a 55-year-old mainstream female rock star who is almost 10 studio albums into her career. Radio play is probably zero. She no longer has the shine of the new on her side.

My other thought, and I don't mean this as a criticism or insult--but she's always seemed shrewd. She seems like a great networker, and my sense is that she's tried to "brand" herself in some ways over the years. I don't think this has been entirely successful recently. It's felt like she's tried to court the Ladies Home Journal crowd. That's all well and good, and I'm sure there's somewhat of a fan base there, but I imagine it has a price. Releasing half-assed cookbooks and having a line on the Home Shopping Network might be turning off some fans who expect that from Kathy Lee Gifford, but not a respected rock star. I'm still pleased with the quality of her work, but I don't think she's doing herself many favors with some of her recent non-music choices.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Good is Good was played nonstop. I remember that year that time like it was yesterday because you had Kate Bush, Fiona Apple, and Sheryl Crow all releasing albums that Fall and almost any entertainment magazine had stories on all three. Bush's first album in 12 years.. Fiona releasing the album that was shelved "Free Fiona" and Sheryl going around saying it was time to make art with Wildflower..

Sheryl and Fiona were also performing at all those Katrina relief benefits that VH-1 and MTV hosted.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

I parsed out a few items from Sheryl's recent Reddit chat that may be of interest to fans here:

What songs would you like to play live more often, but don't typically make it onto the setlist?
    [–]Sheryl_Crow[S] 79 points 7 days ago
    Oh cool. Wow there's a lot of deep cuts - "Chances Are" is one I love but it tends to send people up to the concession stand.

Sheryl, I didn't see this in the thread(or missed it.) Do you plan on releasing any of your older material on vinyl? Better yet; anything with Reach Around Jerk! (I'm dating myself here I realize!.) Thank you; love the new album. Chris
    [–]Sheryl_Crow[S] 22 points 7 days ago
    Yes we are working on getting the old catalog put out on vinyl. But at least "Be Myself" will be out on Vinyl in June.

I think "Chances Are" is beautiful as well, and it's interesting that she picked something from the Wildflower record. That's a unique song for her--it doesn't really sound like anything from the rest of her catalog. I'm really happy to hear that they are working on putting her catalog on vinyl--who knows if it will happen, but it would be nice if it did. I could see the first three (maybe four?) records getting released, but I'm doubting we'd get Wildflower, Detours, 100 Miles from Memphis, or Feels Like Home. I hope it pans out!

"Chances Are" is one of my all-time favorites from her! Especially considering it's from the less celebrated half of her career. It's so atmospheric and I adore the vibe and sentiment.

And PHEW. I assumed vinyl reissues were in the works but that's so great to hear.

It's actually a Soak Up The Sun b-side; I don't think it was even re-recorded for Wildflower, but could be wrong? Definitely not a bathroom break if she played it at my show! One of her best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's actually a Soak Up The Sun b-side; I don't think it was even re-recorded for Wildflower, but could be wrong? Definitely not a bathroom break if she played it at my show! One of her best.
    Also a version on Wildflower

Oh yeah, definitely knew it was a C'mon C'mon b-side. The only change is I think there are some added strings on the Wildflower.

I'm getting a slight children's album vibe from Be Myself. Lots of singing about not wanting to grow up, roller skating, "woo woo!" and the like. Put away your phones, kids!
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    I'm getting a slight children's album vibe from Be Myself. Lots of singing about not wanting to grow up, roller skating, "woo woo!" and the like. Put away your phones, kids!
    This. It's got a lot of strong moments, but that's the exact vibe I'm getting from it, and I'm not loving it...

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    Confusing Rolling Stone review which calls the album "excellent" and her "best in a decade," offers no negative critiques, yet only awards it 3 stars. It reads like a 4-star review:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...myself-w477773
    For what it's worth--it turns out the website is wrong. I get the print edition, which awards the album 3.5 stars, which is the same rating her last three records have received from the publication.