Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sheryl Crow Thread

100 Miles From Memphis is released today! I actually can't wait to pick up a copy since my love for the album has only grown with repeated listens. I said in the first post that I didn't think she couldn't ever top her 90's output but I really see this album as standing alongside Sheryl Crow and The Globe Sessions as her most consistent offerings to date. I've grown to love every song on the album and can't wait to hear some of the stripped down versions from the iTunes and Barnes & Noble bonus tracks.

Here's the EPK for the album, which has tons of studio footage and is actually pretty entertaining:
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...d=167729751001

The album is sitting at a 70 right now on Metacritic, which is pretty much smack dab in the middle of Detours (75) and C'mon C'mon & Wildflower (both sit around the 65 mark). Reaction to the album has actually been fairly mixed (which is evident in this very thread). Hopefully once people spend more time with the album they'll pick out more of the subtle highlights like Stop, Roses & Moonlight and 100 Miles From Memphis.
    Last edited by Jamiieee; 07-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.

the record sounds really good.

on a completely different note: i'd always thought Sheryl had gotten a lot of work done, but she looks very natural in that EPK. Super excited to get the new record

I think it's very good. Time will tell where it ranks for me among her albums, I've only listened once.

The ones I am not responding to right away are "Say What You Want" and "Peaceful Feeling." Everything else seemed solid to me. Her voice sounds VERY good, and I like that she's doing a soul record on her terms. If she tried to be Aretha all of a sudden, it would never work.

"Stop" and "Long Road Home" were standouts for me after just the first listen. And how sexy does she sound on this record? Her cover of "Sign Your Name" totally works. I like that she's no longer autotuning over all of the appealing raspiness of her voice.

I bought the Barnes and Noble version to get the acoustic versions of "Summer Day and "Say What You Want." To those who have it ... how is the iTunes acoustic version of "Long Road Home"?

One gripe ... I hate the cover of "I Want You Back." It's decently executed, I guess, but it sounds SO much like the original that it is the definition of "unnecessary." She could have done something, anything different to it and it would have been better. This is a total throwaway. At least it's labeled as a "bonus track," so I guess we can think of it as something not really attached to the rest of the album ... although it's on every released version of the album.

So the new album debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200 with sales of 55,000. A great debut but only a little over half of Detours first week sales (92,000) which reached #2 in '08.

That's not surprising. It's been a while since radio has touched anything she's put out, and Detours had the "she talks about cancer and Lance" angle going for it. That's reductive, of course ... I think it's a great record, but it had more selling points than this new one. Factor in that even fewer people are buying music than they were two years ago, and there you go.

I have to say ... I have been really enjoying this album. I've pruned it a bit for my iPod, but it has a lot of great songs. "Stop" is making the "best Sheryl songs ever" list.

New video for Sign Your Name:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...d=606471182001

It's a pretty standard performance video. Not really much to say about it.

ETA: Crap, it won't let me embed! I hate you Vevo!
    Last edited by Jamiieee; 09-14-2010 at 04:52 PM.

I saw her at Radio City last night with Brandi Carlile opening.

She was awesome! I'm a big fan and have seen her a few times, but this is maybe the most energized I've seen her. It's also the most radically different show I've seen her do ... much of the show had a more R&B/soul feel to it, to the point where it may have baffled people who weren't aware of her current direction.

I actually found myself really enjoying live performances of some of my less favorite songs on the album. "Peaceful Feeling" and "Say What You Want" were both very good, and her cover of "I Want You Back"--which seems so unnecessary on record--was infectious live.

She also did slightly different versions of some of her hits. The closer, "I Shall Believe," was amazing. I've gotta say ... her voice sounded better last night than I had ever heard it. I was a little concerned around the Wildflower era that maybe she was losing her voice (why else all the Autotune?), but she was in extremely good form.

My one critique is that some of the songs went on too long. I know some feel that several songs on her album run longer than they should (I don't agree), but there was a little too much self-indulgent jamming on the part of the band. Still, a great show.

^^Jealous, I think seeing her live would bring the new album full circle. I've honestly only listened a few times, and while I enjoy it enough, I don't crave to listen to it like I do her other records.

This was fairly recent, and I just watched it:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and...nd-burt-bachar

It's Sheryl performing "Walk on By" at the Gershwin Prize for Hal David and Burt Bacharach at the White House. She does a nice job.

Also ... it's been about two years since her last album. I'd really love to hear something new from her, but news is scarce. Ever since C'Mon, C'Mon, there's been rumors of a more overtly country album, which I think she'd do a fantastic job with ... but that never seems to materialize.

I'd actually love for her to do something similar to the new Lisa Marie Presley record. It's stark, country, and soulful. Even similar to the Dixie Chicks' "Home" would be interesting.

I'm sure she'd put out a great country record, but I can't help but have flashbacks to the awful turn that Jewel's career took.

Ugh, if she goes even remotely close to that route, I'll cry. I know we'll never get another self-titled or Globe Sessions from her, but I actually feel she has yet to make the album that will gain her widespread critical acclaim.

Sheryl already has legitimate country roots, and a lot of her music is steeped in country. I don't think a move to a more overtly country sound would be done in a Jewel/trend-chasing kind of way. She lives in Nashville, she's been a guest on lots of country songs, she's collaborated with Emmylou Harris (multiple times), Ryan Adams, Loretta Lynn & Miranda Lambert, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Johnny Cash, Vince Gill ... she can pull this off.

Also, I get the sense that she's embraced by the country community. She's not Jewel or Bon Jovi, waking up one day and saying, "Hey, I'm going to make a country record. Why not?" I think I remember reading a quote from her where she said that if/when she makes a more country-oriented record, she would be super, super serious about it and would not take the task lightly.

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    Sheryl Crow has been diagnosed with a benign brain tumour. Link here.

Blah, read that earlier today. I freaked out when I saw the headline, but I'm glad to hear it's benign. Hopefully she doesn't experience any complications and can carry on. Just love her so much and wish her the best.

From her Facebook:

Sheryl Crow
    Hey everyone - please don't worry about my "brain tumor", it's a non-cancerous growth. I know some folks can have problems with this kind of thing, but I want to assure everyone I'm OK. I'm feeling very healthy and happy, and having a great time on the road playing with my new band. I'm busy working on my next record too, which 'm very excited about...and I'll be on The Tony Awards this Sunday. Really appreciate everyone's love and concern, I feel so blessed to have the support of all my fans, but I'm good - really! Love, Sheryl