4. Be Myself
    5. Roller Skate
    6. Love Will Save The Day
    7. Strangers Again
    8. Rest Of Me
    9. Heartbeat Away
    10. Grow Up
    11. Woo Woo

And the new single, "Halfway There": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpHaHNBH_DA

The single is not a classic, but it's solid and she sounds great. I'm excited for this! Also, it's her first album that will get a vinyl release.

I like it! Don't mean that as damning with faint praise either - I really do like it as a lead single, and it gets my hopes up for the deep cuts.

...So, production-wise, it's a throwback to the style of her self-titled album, which is good. And that's just about the only thing I like about "Halfway There". On first listen, this is her weakest lead single since "Good Is Good", I think.

I saw her last night at the Troubadour in LA.

First off, this was my first time seeing her, which is just insane considering how long I've loved her. Circumstances never align! But holy shit was it worth the wait. I was less than five feet away from her, and she played an incredible 2 hours set. She did six new songs, from what I remember. While I enjoy "Halfway There", I definitely think she did stronger songs. I'm surprised they went with it, actually. The clear stand out to me was "Heartbeat Away", which touched on many of the current political scandals and was written before the Russia blowup! There was another super catchy one called "Rollerskate" that she said her kids sing on on the album proper. The title track was also pretty instant, and definitely had much more of a chorus.

I'll be interested to hear how they translate in the studio, but I think it's safe to get excited!

don't feel the urge to replay the new song, but I'm so glad it's miles away from the sound of her previous album. like the 90s sound very much. my hopes for this album are pretty high now!

now after Jewel and Sheryl made throwbacks to their old sounds, we just have to wait for Alanis and Liz to return to form as well
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Matt and Blue are a youtube couple I follow and they got an awesome meet and greet with Sheryl before her LA show at the Troubadour.
    It starts at about 4 mins into the video
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

Another new song, "Long Way Back" is coming out tomorrow! It's out in some parts of the world already. Can't wait to hear the studio version.

There's an interview album on Spotify with Sheryl & Jeff Trott talking about the writing process for a bunch of songs. Pretty cool!

https://open.spotify.com/user/sheryl...DJK907mRgdWaw7

So many of my favorite gems on that playlist! Can't wait to hear the stories.

"Long Way Back" sounds way more glossed and country than I remember the live version sounding like but it's not a bad song.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Popping in to say that I've had the self titled and Globe Sessions albums on repeat for the last few days. What a knockout 1-2 punch those albums were back in the 90s. They both still sound so fresh and vital today. Her songwriting and production skills were in peak form and everything just works. I think "Members Only" has become my favorite Sheryl song over the last few years, which is so funny because I've known the song for nearly 20 years now and only recently has it sunk its teeth into me. Sheryl is such a great writer like that. Her songwriting is sly and incredibly layered. A turn of phrase, an insinuating melody, a guitar riff, a snapping rhythm section... she makes it all sound so easy. There's obviously a lot going on in these songs and I'm happy to continue finding new things to love about them 2 decades on.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

^Amen. They're two of my favorite albums by anyone, and hold up so well. Really hoping a vinyl release is on the horizon for both.

So, the new album. I've heard it a few times now. With all of the interviews and promo centering around how this was a return to the sound and production process of the second and third albums, my expectations were exceptionally high. I mean echoing everything in the post above, the thought of another album in that vein had me lusting. While there are certainly nods to the melodies, lyrics, and production style of those two albums, Be Myself doesn't capture the glory in the same way. There's a rawness and honesty with those records, perhaps inspired by heartbreak and her newfound fame, that permeated throughout their respective songs. Be Myself tackles a few of the same tropes, and also introduces modern technology as an antagonist. The results are mixed; "Alone In The Dark" and "Rollerskate" address the tech invasion with extremely catchy choruses. The title track is catchy, but cringey lyrics like "How many selfies can you take before you look like a jerk" makes it fall flat.

However, after initially being a little disappointed, I'm starting to love the record more. If you temper your expectations and look at it as a Sheryl Crow record in 2017, influenced by everything that came before it and by where she's at personally, it's definitely enjoyable. I'd say it's on par with Detours, maybe even better than that one?

The showstopper is "Heartbeat Away." She wrote it *before* the Russian hacking scandal broke and it contains the passion I love from her. I wish the record would have followed that blueprint instead.
    Last edited by Jake; 04-19-2017 at 08:07 PM.

^ I hope/think my expectations are in line; I've always assumed Detours would be the best we'd get in the latter stages of her career, so if it can sit next to that I'll be happy. I like the production and vibe of all 3 of the singles, but yeah they definitely don't have that raw spark.

I just heard her recent duet with Rodney Crowell on his new album last night. I'd LOVE if she'd make THAT country album. I know Rodney just produced the new Shannon McNally album. Sheryl should be next in line

This is "out there" now!

Japanese edition has 3 bonus tracks:
    "Alone In The Dark" (acoustic version)
    "Be Myself" (acoustic version)
    "The Rest of Me" (acoustic version)

I really like when she releases acoustic versions! She did that for some songs on Wildflower, although it was hard to track some of them down. Have you heard the three you mentioned, Jake? How are they?

I also saw that Target will release a version with three bonus tracks:

* Disappearing World (“Be Myself” album outtake) [Target Exclusive]
    * The World You Make (An unreleased track, originally recorded in 2012) [Target Exclusive]
    * Long Way Back (Acoustic version) [Target Exclusive]