Page 3 of 486 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoying Facebook Statuses

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    All of my sister's recent updates are about how she doesn't have internet access. And then she apologizes for not playing Farmville enough.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    updates about how she doesn't have internet access.
    DOES NOT COMPUTE
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gretch View Post
    Yeah, especially that last quote about how the "World cup is turnin out like World War2". That one is just factually inaccurate! Seriously though. I LOVE it when he has a reason to use the word "together" in his status - he spells it "2geva".
    Spain v. Germany is so something that works in this World War II analogy!

Also the Frank family is in hiding in the Dutch dressing room. Also Uruguay was a major global power at some point.

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    DOES NOT COMPUTE

INORITE?

Ugh, during the Ghana vs. USA world cup, I had to read status updates from two of my previous coworkers, who are both very pro-AFRIKA, that read like this: DATS RITE, SOCIAL JUSTICE 4 GHANA.

Um, yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Loca View Post
    Ugh, during the Ghana vs. USA world cup, I had to read status updates from two of my previous coworkers, who are both very pro-AFRIKA, that read like this: DATS RITE, SOCIAL JUSTICE 4 GHANA.

Um, yeah, right.
    Aha! I had this happen too! And when commentators voiced support for the USA I got "THAT'S RACIST" updates.

Statuses like these make me wonder whether they graduated high school with me:

1 girl to 8 boys....I am too gud : )))))))))

Why am I not so keen to be on fb anymore?!?!?!
    The main 2 annoying people on my list also use groups/pages as status it seems:
    X likes Saying "It's Fine" When Really Your Heart Is Breaking
    X likes Anybody can be a player, it takes a real man to hold a relationship
    X likes If you love me only in my dreams, let me be asleep forever. ♥
    X likes Never underestimate a girl's abillity to find things out
    X likes I make plans THEN ask my parents.
    X likes I'm The Girl. You're The Boy. You Text Me First Or We Don't Talk Today
    X likes i only get jealous because i love you and i dont want anyone else to have you.
    And these ones from 1 person in block:
    X joined the group My EX/EXs are my past, U r my present n future
    X likes I don't care if you don't like me...I wasn't put on this Earth to please U!
    X joined the group one day u'll look at me & say 'hell wht i've lost' & i'll be ur gr8 regret
    And football related one from someone not even english or in the uk:
    Dear Lord, I am not well at all. But I shud feel kinda better if u cud make England win 2nite. I may be better if u cud make Germany lose also. Thnks. Amen :-)
    Not approved due to bad text speak. xoxo, The Lord
    Last edited by Wen; 07-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    ^ Oh yeah! How about when people TYPE THEIR STATUS UPDATES LIKE THIS? I also really dislike play-by-play updates of what mothers are doing with their children. I don't mind a little bit, but one friend is a bit much.

So xxxxx is playing with his rug that is all the alphabet and he picks up R and says mommy R like rainbow.. you know a rainbow like up in the sky. Then he picks up c and says C for cat meow meow. He can spell cat dog and moon without any help. Im such a wimp..I cried I didnt realize how smart he really is..

I agreed with this up until I became a mom... And now all day every day for me is baby related so that's kinda most of what there is to talk about these days, so now I'm guilty of it.

Edit: Actually now that I go back and read my updates, I do throw at least a few non-kid related things in there pretty often. Sometimes it does take effort though.
    And I know that other people's kids aren't interesting to a lot of other people, but if the parent is proud and wants to post about them, more power to them. That matters more than what other people think of them, IMO. No more annoying than every single Monday's "Is it Friday yet?" and Friday's "OMG TGIF It's the weekend!!" that I get from half of my friends list.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-05-2010 at 07:41 PM.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    It just makes me sad when I see people who post about nothing but their children. I have a friend who does it. She was into so many different things and always wanted to be out doing different things with friends, but once the kid came along, she seemed to lose interest in anything that didn't have to do with her daughter. Yes, the kid is cute, but I don't need an hourly update on whether she's napping, eating, pooping or whathaveyou.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

A couple of workmates talk incessantly about their children and have spouses bring their child to meet them at the end of their shift, and at best it's mind-numbingly vapid. At worst it's skull-splittingly obnoxious, and it takes a lot not to tell them that I really couldn't care less about their snotminers, and I certainly don't want them scampering around while I'm trying to work.

I just don't get it. Do parents not remember how annoying/boring other people's kids are? Can people really not detect the weariness and insincerity in my hundredth "awwwww" of the day? I understand proud parents, and obviously you'll want to talk about your kids, but if that's really all you have to say then...god, I don't even know what to say to that.

OK, I get that when you have a young kid, he or she takes up a huge amount of your time and energy. What I don't get is spending what obviously little time you have left in your day making status updates that no bugger is remotely interested in, instead of using that time to do something non-kid-related, even if it's just reading about or discussing something you enjoy on the internet. What are these endless updates FOR? Who are they for? I feel the same about people who update LJ or twitter or whatever every 33 seconds with utterly mundane boring shit about their day. Really, who is this for?

I admit I don't get the fascination with Facebook, full stop. Everybody seems to have it then complain about it as if they didn't choose to sign up for and participate in it but were assigned it and their 'friends' by some nefarious government department. What is this obsession with making or maintaining contact with people you clearly cannot stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    It just makes me sad when I see people who post about nothing but their children. I have a friend who does it. She was into so many different things and always wanted to be out doing different things with friends, but once the kid came along, she seemed to lose interest in anything that didn't have to do with her daughter. Yes, the kid is cute, but I don't need an hourly update on whether she's napping, eating, pooping or whathaveyou.
    I know exactly what you mean. So many of my really awesome friends seem to have completely lost their own identity (at least on Facebook) once they had a kid. All the updates are about the kid, all the pictures are of the kid, even their profile picture changes to a picture of the kid. I don't like them any less, I just feel sad that they seem to have turned into their child. It's weird.

My husband and I post updates rarely about our 6 year old daughter. When they are they usually are because of something funny she said or did.

For example, today she watching TV and saw a monster truck driving over cars. She asked "Why is that truck driving over dem cars." Before I could explain she said "Dat's breaking the cars." At which point I had to remember the word "Monster Truck" and called in my husband to help. Later his facebook status was
    was just asked to explain the appeal of "Monster Trucks" to a 6 year old. I'm not sure she ready for the concept of gratuitous breakage.
    I don't mind these sort of things, but when its day after day. Its a bit annoying

I also get tired of the Oh god it's Monday, hump day, friday stuff. I also see a lot of "I neeeeed coffee". I wouldn't mind it here and there. But the same person writes it like all the time. Seriously she needs to check that addiction.
    Last edited by entropy; 07-05-2010 at 07:54 PM.

I have my share of annoying friends... but since most of my updates are about how much I love coffee I really can't complain. I just hide the more annoying people. Oh I'm also guilty of posting lyrics. Double bonus for posting lyrics that have to do with coffee.

And... what's more irksome about those vague facebook statuses is when they're not so vague... and you can almost assume they're talking about you.

Since my cousin had her kid, 99% of what she posts on Facebook has to do with something the kid did. The other 1% is divided up between how she hates her long shifts at work, and how she misses her kid while at work.
    I'm always tempted to take her status, copy it, put my cat's name in for her kid's name, then post it on the comment section.