Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't be a woman in __________.

Don't be a woman in __________.

Vietnam

Male 'Virginity Test' Helps Free Three Men Accused Of Rape

Oh, phew. Glad that worked out. I didn't know that had a test like that. Wait...

HANOI, Vietnam — An acupuncturist who claims she can detect a man's virginity based on a small dot on the ear has become a minor celebrity in Vietnam, where she is credited with helping to free three convicted rapists from prison.

Traditional medicine practitioner Pham Thi Hong started lobbying for the men's release, pleading their case all the way to the president, because she believes all three men are virgins and therefore could not be guilty of rape.

"They all had small red spots on the back of their ears," said Hong, 54. "The spots should have disappeared if they had had sex. My many years of experience told me that these men did not have sex before."

Her claims are unusual even for a country where acupuncture and traditional medicine are still common remedies, but Hong's determination to have the case reopened – even threatening to light herself on fire – led to prosecutors re-examining the case. The convictions eventually were suspended due to flaws by initial investigators.

more totally normal stuff

Hong says her reputation has now prompted other convicted rapists to seek her help in appealing their cases.

"I'm not planning to launch a campaign to clear innocent people who were falsely convicted of rape," she said. "But I'm willing to help people to prove their innocence, if they really are."
    Nope. Not crazy at all.

Bangladesh

Raped Teenager Receives 101 Lashes For Becoming Pregnant

A 16-year-old Bangladeshi girl was who raped 8 months ago was given 101 lashes as punishment for having conceived during the assault, Bangladesh's Daily Star reports. Meanwhile, the paper notes, the alleged rapist received no punishment.

The village elders who issued the fatwa against the girl also fined the girl's father and warned him that his family would be forced into isolation if they didn't pay.

According to the Telegraph, the girl was so ashamed that she did not lodge a complaint about her attack. Human rights activists say that she married quickly after the attack, but was divorced not long after when it was revealed she was pregnant. She told the Daily Star that the rapist had "spoiled" her life.

"I want justice," she said.

Turkey

Turkish Girl Buried Alive For Talking To Boys

horrific story

""""""""""honor""""""""""!

Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    Turkey

Turkish Girl Buried Alive For Talking To Boys

""""""""""honor""""""""""!
    omg. What. the. fuck. I don't understand how anyone can do that.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    omg. What. the. fuck. I don't understand how anyone can do that.
    i haven't been able to stop thinking about this all day.

I'm skurred to read it.

Horrifying.

Iranian women to be stoned to death (anybody else get a SHirley Jackson chill run through them?):

Ashtiani, who is from the northern city of Tabriz, was convicted of adultery in 2006.

She was forced to confess after being subjected to 99 lashes, human rights lawyer Mohammad Mostafaei said Thursday in a telephone interview from Tehran.

She later retracted that confession and has denied wrongdoing. Her conviction was based not on evidence but on the determination of three out of five judges, Mostafaei said. She has asked forgiveness from the court but the judges refused to grant clemency.

---------------------------------------------
    So, they force a confession from her with 99 lashes? I'd say anything you'd want me to say after 2 lashes.
    Last edited by Banjee; 07-06-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Here's a petition to help save Sakineh.

Angle's, the Teabagger running against Reid in NV, has spent the past couple of weeks explaining her views on abortion. What I don't get is how her views run counter to Teabagger logic in the purist sense. Her advice for victims of rape: Lemons can be made into Lemonade..

"Stock: What do you say then to a young girl, I am going to place it as he said it, when a young girl is raped by her father, let's say, and she is pregnant. How do you explain this to her in terms of wanting her to go through the process of having the baby?

Angle: I think that two wrongs don't make a right. And I have been in the situation of counseling young girls, not 13 but 15, who have had very at risk, difficult pregnancies. And my counsel was to look for some alternatives, which they did. And they found that they had made what was really a lemon situation into lemonade. Well one girl in particular moved in with the adoptive parents of her child, and they both were adopted. Both of them grew up, one graduated from high school, the other had parents that loved her and she also graduated from high school. And I'll tell you the little girl who was born from that very poor situation came to me when she was 13 and said 'I know what you did thank you for saving my life.' So it is meaningful to me to err on the side of life."
    Last edited by Banjee; 07-08-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    ^
    That quote made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Appalling.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    Everything in this topic makes me want to open certain people's heads and replace the crap in it with a real brain.

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

IRAN

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...men-death.html

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/sakin...h-2638248.html

Stoning is still justified on the grounds of some writings somebody came up with in the 7th century or so. How cool is that?

^Oh, this had already been brought up...

Congo

Some 200 Women Gang-Raped Over 4 Days Near Congo U.N. Base

disgusting and depressing, to say the least

<inarticulate>

W.T.F.