Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Well we all knew this was gonna happen. I can't wait to have some FaceTime with you guys.

*buys ebby iPhone 4*
    Did I tell you I managed to slip out of my 3GS contract? They're changing the T&C's here on my network for the iPhone contracts, and if you disagree with it you can legally have your contract nulled. No hassle at all. Still on that network, but not tied to a contract, so I can switch networks or get myself a new contract when the iPhone 4 comes out here. I'm gonna look at the plan options and see what I'll do. !

*logs onto AssTime*

My girlfriend just got an Iphone 4 and she pretty much convinced me to get one precisely because of the chat thing. She told me if i got one, that she would stream bits of the Glass Candy show this Friday from NYC.

FaceTime only works over wi-fi, though. So unless there's wi-fi at the show, I doubt it'll happen.

So there's a ton of problems with iPhone 4. Color me unimpressed.

The first and most noticeable problem is with the new external antenna band that surrounds the phone. Many users have reported that if you cover the black rubber seams on the side of the phone, the signal disappears and calls drop/data quits. Some have not been able to replicate the problem, but it's way more widespread than Apple claims. I went to the AT&T store today and all three of their display models had this problem. Just gripping the phone in my hand like I naturally would during a call, it went from full bars to no bars, and then a "No Service" message.

The second big issue is with the proximity sensor. They are much more sensitive than iPhone 3GS... if you barely move the phone while it's up to your ear, the sensor turns the screen on and causes users to press the on-screen buttons with their cheek. People have reported muting calls, activating speakerphone, ending calls, and attempting to start the FaceTime feature. I also tested this at the AT&T store. I laid iPhone 4 and my iPhone 3GS on the table, activated a call on both phones, then put my finger over the sensors on both phones. When I lifted my fingers, the iPhone 4 screen came back on when my finger was only about 1/4" above the phone. My 3GS didn't come on until my finger was 1 - 1 1/2" away.

The proximity sensor may be a calibration issue that can be fixed with a software update, but I have a feeling that the antenna issue is here to stay on the affected handsets. Apple has been completely silent on the sensor problem and gave some BS excuse about the antenna.

Soooo... I think I'll pass on iPhone 4.

Antenna issue is present on the 3gs, most HTC phones and a lot of nokia and blackberry phones in some form or another. Apple has also finally admitted somethign researchers have been complaining about for years, in that Apple exxagerates the signal strength by using a nonstandard algorithm, hence the drop from full to no bars in the iphone 4, its not a dramatic drop, its a drop yes, but an innacurate one exagerated by an incorrect algorithm.

FaceTime only works over wi-fi on unjailbroken iphones, though. So unless there's wi-fi at the show, I doubt it'll happen.
    fixed
    GSV Tarendai

If you're willing to carry two devices, it's possible to get a cheaper plan with a Windows Mobile or Android phone, and use it to unofficially create a wireless hot-spot for the iPod touch. Best of both worlds, if you're willing to lug them both around. Also, signs of the upcoming iPhone4-like version of the touch:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/n...amera-septemb/

Quote Originally Posted by Tarendai View Post
    Antenna issue is present on the 3gs, most HTC phones and a lot of nokia and blackberry phones in some form or another. Apple has also finally admitted somethign researchers have been complaining about for years, in that Apple exxagerates the signal strength by using a nonstandard algorithm, hence the drop from full to no bars in the iphone 4, its not a dramatic drop, its a drop yes, but an innacurate one exagerated by an incorrect algorithm.

fixed
    I've heard that the antenna issue is present on the 3GS but I have never dropped a call simply by holding my phone. If the answer to dropping calls with the iPhone 4 is "you're holding the phone wrong," then I don't really need that phone. Apple may exaggerate signal strength, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people have experienced the issue of dropped calls and data interruption firsthand.

The week after iPhone 4 went on sale, Apple was posting job listings for antenna experts. It tells me that they are aware of an issue and need help resolving it for upcoming versions of the iPhone.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    If you're willing to carry two devices, it's possible to get a cheaper plan with a Windows Mobile or Android phone, and use it to unofficially create a wireless hot-spot for the iPod touch. Best of both worlds, if you're willing to lug them both around. Also, signs of the upcoming iPhone4-like version of the touch:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/n...amera-septemb/
    I'm back to having a phone and my iPod touch with me again, after the loss of my 3GS. It's really fucking frustrating. A friend in Dublin carries around a HTC and the ipod touch too, as he likes the ipod for music but prefers Android phones.

I'm waiting to see what happens when the iPhone 4 is finally released here, which is hopefully later this month, and I'm now out of contract with O2 so I can shop around and try and get a good deal on either an iPhone 4 or a cheaper 3GS depending on how much they come down by.

If I were Apple, I would hire antenna engineers regardless of whether there is a fault or not, simply to make sure that there is without a shadow of a doubt no problems in future, or for new products.

Deducing that its an admission of fault from Apple is merely speculation.
    GSV Tarendai

Admission or non-admission of fault is irrelevant to actual fault though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I've heard that the antenna issue is present on the 3GS but I have never dropped a call simply by holding my phone. If the answer to dropping calls with the iPhone 4 is "you're holding the phone wrong," then I don't really need that phone. Apple may exaggerate signal strength, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people have experienced the issue of dropped calls and data interruption firsthand.
    I found an article the other night that explained this very clearly, because I was confused about the whole thing. As has been discussed here:

1. Apple's algorithm exaggerates signal strength by one or two bars (that's not minor, that's significant).

2. Most cell phones do lose some signal strength when handled, due to our skin essentially acting as a "conductor," thus slightly weakening the signal. However, most smart phones (and previous Apple iPhones) have internal antennae, which means the casing of the phone acts as a buffer to reduce this problem.

3. The iPhone 4 has an external antennae, so there is no buffer between it and the skin, which is why they suggest putting a rubber band around the phone.

4. The combination of misleading signal strength and external antennae construction leads to iPhone users going from what appears to be near-full reception (but may actually be weak reception) to no reception simply by picking up the phone.

ETA: Found the article. Here it is!

I'm wanting to get a new phone--the one I have is dying--and I have a gift certificate to the Apple Store. I really wanted to get the new iPhone, but all of these bad reviews have kept me away. Are they planning on fixing any of these problems?

My 3G bit the dust this weekend, and I decided to take a gamble and get the 4. It's coming on Thursday. I will be buying the rubber case. If all it takes to fix the problem is a rubber case, that's not a deal breaker for me.
    Last edited by Kari; 07-19-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: i had the 3G, not the 3GS

According to Apple's press conference last Friday, you should get the rubber bumper for free. I use a Colors case by Switch Easy and they now make them for iPhone 4.