Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1111

Thread: The big unforumzed TRAVEL thread.

Thanks to both of you for the tips!! Those places all look great! I'll report back in a few weeks and let you know how it goes!

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Aside from the spectacular typical Lucca-Pisan architecture (making it easily one of the most important places in the world artwise), Pisa is a very vibrant modern city, boomfull of students. I really enjoyed emerging in it, but understand it is not for everyone.
    It has a great University and a great hospital, that's for sure.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Quote Originally Posted by thestrand View Post
    Heading to Germany (Munich, Berlin, and Dresden) and Iceland in a few weeks for an end of summer trip. Anything we definitely have to see or do?
    I saw that Munchen was pretty much covered already, so I'll do Dresden: take a daytrip detour to the Bastei, in the Sächsischer Schweiz.... It's an area with amazing rock formations that almost look like you re somewhere in Asia. Dresden itself is not that large in terms of sights: it's all pretty much centered around the main town square. You could easily do Dresden in a day, so if you have the time, venture to the Sächsischer Schweiz, it is glorious:

post28!

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    I loved Bath! The bathhouse itself is very much worth a visit (though it can be really busy with buss-loads of people getting unleashed one after the other) and the city has retained a lot of the Victorian/Charles Dickens vibe, with the cast iron fences and grand houses.
    Dover: ehhh. If you want to go for the castle: Kent has some other beauties that have a prettier setting. Maybe even consider Canterbury? The cathedral is amazing and the old town very charming.
    And for a day trip out of London suggestion: do Oxford! Simply gorgeous!

Where in Wales are you staying? The South only? Cardiff has a few nice bits but the real beauty in South Wales is either the Pembrokeshire Coast or the Beacons.

Driving on the left is really not that hard. Roundabouts especially. Take the outside lane when you need to take the first exit or straight across and the inside for 3/4 and you'll see, it kinda just flows naturally. And you're right, the UK prefers roundabouts which I personally think is much easier when driving left than crossroads where you have to be alert to remember who has right of way.

Oh, and I agree to skip Stonehenge!
    I came back to this thread looking for our Aperol spritz discussion and realized I completely ignored your post, wout!

We ended up doing three days in London, five days in Wales (with a quick day trip by train to Bath), then a cross-country drive to Suffolk where we stayed for a week and did some small day trips (a day on the coast, a day in Cambridge, a day visiting family in Ipswich...).

Wales was incredible but there was still so much to see. We stayed in Cardiff and found a great little husband and wife duo who did day tours. We were so excited when reading the various tours they offered on their website that we just said "fuck it, let's do all four!" and that's how our Wales trip turned from 3 days into 5. On the first day there was only a tour group of four, and then for two of the days there was actually just three of us, so they were very small and intimate. It worked out much better than a huge tour bus full of people because you could chat with the guide, ask questions, and see a lot more without needing to wait for a group of stragglers at each location. We did their Wye Valley tour which took us to Caerleon, Monmouth, Tintern (where I fell head over heels in love with Tintern Abbey!), and Chepstow. The second day was Swansea, Rhossili Bay, and Caswell Bay where we got to walk the coast and see some wild ponies on the moorlands. And of course, as you mentioned, we wrapped up our time with a Brecon Beacons tour with some of the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen.

So yeah, if anyone here is ever presented with the opportunity to visit Wales, GO! I loved it so much. We want to go back. There's so much to explore and do and you barely get a taste of it all in four days. I see why people save up and go on month-long vacations. It'd be awesome to rent a house and a car and stay for an extended period of time.

We are now pricing tickets and accommodations for Ireland in late April/early May if things go well. Ebby says it's way better than Wales but I think he's biased.

Also, I FORGOT TO SEND NANCY A POSTCARD.

If we were to meet up for an Unf holiday, realistically when and where, do you think?

UNF CON: We Have No Idea What We're Doing, Is There A Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Also, I FORGOT TO SEND NANCY A POSTCARD.
    That's alright, not to worry. I'm just glad you had fun.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    @Ryan, I've been to Ireland, and can vouch for ebby - it IS beautiful!

@soignee - there wil.l always be a bar as long as we have this, like proper alcoholics. But kidding aside, my purse is the Tardis.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
    @Ryan, I've been to Ireland, and can vouch for ebby - it IS beautiful!

@soignee - there wil.l always be a bar as long as we have this, like proper alcoholics. But kidding aside, my purse is the Tardis.

Ireland wins.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    If we were to meet up for an Unf holiday, realistically when and where, do you think?

UNF CON: We Have No Idea What We're Doing, Is There A Bar?
    Realistically? Ottawa - just because Tori Amos never plays there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I came back to this thread looking for our Aperol spritz discussion and realized I completely ignored your post, wout!
    As long as you got to experience wonderful Wales
    I've been all over the UK but Wales completely surprised me...
    Glad to hear you had a blast!
    post28!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Yasss. Booked a flight to Tuscany + car for in two weeks from now with a friend.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I've just booked a Eurostar ticket to Brussels for a long weekend in November. I haven't booked accommodation yet but I'm having a browse on Airbnb. I've never been anywhere near the city (or Belgium at all) and have no idea what it's like. I can't even really work out which language people generally speak (Dutch/French/Flemish...what's going on over there?). Any advice would be gratefully received. I'm looking to visit cultural highlights in the day-time and LGBT-friendly places in the evening.

I think Brussels is bi-lingual, with Dutch/Flemish (dialects of the same language, really) and French both being spoken. North of Brussels you're pretty much in Dutch/Flemish territory. I just got home from a trip to Ghent and Bruges a few weeks ago and it was lovely.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I've just booked a Eurostar ticket to Brussels for a long weekend in November. I haven't booked accommodation yet but I'm having a browse on Airbnb. I've never been anywhere near the city (or Belgium at all) and have no idea what it's like. I can't even really work out which language people generally speak (Dutch/French/Flemish...what's going on over there?). Any advice would be gratefully received. I'm looking to visit cultural highlights in the day-time and LGBT-friendly places in the evening.
    Yo, my boyfriend moved around a lot for work, and at some point he was a journalist for the European Union. So been there a lot. First, use streetview to explore if the neighbourhood is somewhat fashionable, it really changes from street to street and there are very bad places too. I always recommend the area around St. Katelijne plein, it was quite fashionable back then, somewhat more quiet than the immediate city center.

Language;

Gay scene;

Center;

Leopold quarter;

St-Gilles/Ixelles;

Museums and suchs;
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Gosh, thank you Spikey. I suppose I won't need to buy a Lonely Planet guide now! I'm fascinated to visit a city so divided by its language. I'd probably have to stick to English in any case - whenever I travel I always try to get to grips with the local language a bit before I go, but I lose confidence when faced with actual people.

I've just reserved an Airbnb in the St-Gilles district. It seems to be fairly nice and also handy for the Eurostar terminal. I have four full days and three nights there, so I should have time to visit most of the places you've recommended, especially all those churches and cathedrals. I will make time to visit the EU quarter. Brussels has for so long been used as a shorthand for the cold, bureaucratic hand of the dreaded Europe that the British media hates so much that I'm too curious not to see what it's actually like there.

I took a weekend trip to Colorado a couple of weeks ago to visit friends and woah was my mind blown by all of the natural beauty of that state. I lived there many years ago but I never got to visit many of the natural landmarks and state parks so it was really a treat! Pics behind spoiler tag.

Last edited by dAmION; 09-26-2017 at 07:15 PM.