Page 68 of 75 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1111

Thread: The big unforumzed TRAVEL thread.

I've rarely been far from the Pacific Ocean, from southern Canada to Northern Mexico. Next week I'll be going to New Orleans for the first time, the French Quarter. I'm hardly short on suggestions, I have cookbooks from restaurants there. Somebody gave me a long list of places to eat, I can't eat that much. But if you have any other favorites in that area...

Then in June I'm going to Europe, London and Paris. I'm going with an experienced traveller who speaks French. So, so far all I have planned for that trip is a lot of nodding and smiling. As it gets closer, I'll be asking for tips.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Bath is cute and all, and the actual baths themselves are interesting, as is the architecture. But I was a bit bored out of my mind after the day there...

Just sayin'
    We're only doing a brief day trip to Bath. We'll probably see the Roman baths, the abbey, and maybe have lunch or dinner and a few drinks, and then it's on the train back to Cardiff.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    the idea of driving on the other side of the road fills me with abject terror.
    Same. So far, this has stopped me from roadtripping there at all. One day though Im so going to do it.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Driving on the other side doesn't bother me so much. It's the roundabouts that are terrifying. I thought I'd calm my nerves by watching some YouTube videos about them. That made it so much worse.

I must recommend using navigation. Double laned roundabouts are kind of solved if you know way beforehand which exit you need. Not entirely, but kind of. They sometimes scare me still driving through Europe, mainly because every country has its own regulations.

Are they not common in the States? I didn't even know or noticed in particular. But now that I think of it... there was this one moment in Hollywood...where I drove up to this one humongous junction of 5 or 6 roads without traffic lights, and I actually had no idea what I was supposed to do. But then I noticed that the cars were all waiting for each other. I quickly deduced that the car that was waiting there the longest had priority over the othes. Almost shat my pants for a minute there and safely took my turn.

In America at a four way stop, generally the car that arrives first has the right of way. Then the cars go in the order they arrived at the intersection. But we usually use traffic lights at these intersections. It looks like UK prefers the roundabout to a four way stop with stop signs or lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    We're only doing a brief day trip to Bath. We'll probably see the Roman baths, the abbey, and maybe have lunch or dinner and a few drinks, and then it's on the train back to Cardiff.
    I really enjoyed the Roman Baths. Side note: they do holographic projections in one of the big rooms, and it's seriously a bunch of hot naked dudes cruising each other. Trust.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I would have thought a day in Bath would be plenty of time. I had no idea about the cruising bath dudes though, I might need to take another trip down there.

If you go down Salisbury way, you won't be too far from Stonehenge. I wouldn't ever recommend it as a place to visit though. Of course it's incredibly interesting but as an attraction it's a bit disappointing. You don't get anywhere near it and just have to slowly walk around it in a circle from about 50 yards away. I remember being quite underwhelmed. Salisbury Cathedral is great, but Winchester Cathedral is my favourite. It's a tad out of the way from the London-Bath run (and also Winchester is basically Bath but with fewer baths and more students) but there is an overwhelming amount of history in the one building. There are loads of famous people buried there, and there is a beautiful crypt that houses an Antony Gormley statue (which has its own history but it's too much to go into).

What have you got planned for London? I think you've picked a good time of year as the weather has just started to turn Spring-like.

I loved Bath! The bathhouse itself is very much worth a visit (though it can be really busy with buss-loads of people getting unleashed one after the other) and the city has retained a lot of the Victorian/Charles Dickens vibe, with the cast iron fences and grand houses.
    Dover: ehhh. If you want to go for the castle: Kent has some other beauties that have a prettier setting. Maybe even consider Canterbury? The cathedral is amazing and the old town very charming.
    And for a day trip out of London suggestion: do Oxford! Simply gorgeous!

Where in Wales are you staying? The South only? Cardiff has a few nice bits but the real beauty in South Wales is either the Pembrokeshire Coast or the Beacons.

Driving on the left is really not that hard. Roundabouts especially. Take the outside lane when you need to take the first exit or straight across and the inside for 3/4 and you'll see, it kinda just flows naturally. And you're right, the UK prefers roundabouts which I personally think is much easier when driving left than crossroads where you have to be alert to remember who has right of way.

Oh, and I agree to skip Stonehenge!
    post28!

I'm thrilled that you're going to the UK, Ryan. I demand a post card.

Perhaps Stonehenge is not the best option if you're interested in neolithic architecture because ruined mostly by tourisms, but there are other options. I would definitely consider visiting something ancient like that.

West Kennet Long Barrow has free admittance, and dates from 3500-4000 BC; aside from three structures in France, one in Italy, one in Scotland and one in Malta this is the oldest structure in the whole wide world known to mankind.

That's really interesting Spikey, I didn't know anything about that barrow and I'll have to check it out. I much prefer structures like that that are still just embedded in the countryside and are open to exploration. There is a Bronze Age barrow on the top of Old Winchester Hill, near where I grew up, and it's now just part of the landscape. You can walk around it and imagine what it would have been like to live there (that's if you enjoy imagining yourself in the Bronze Age) and there isn't a huge fucking motorway running behind it. Stonehenge is fascinating as an artifact but I think it's a bit of a rip-off as an attraction.

Be sure to send me a pic - never seen it myself. Seen so little of the UK, really, must book a trip and get over that fear of driving on the wrong side (the RIGHT side, the Brits in southern France always correct me with).

I'm going to Europe for the very first time next week. First stop, London. Yes, that London, London Bridge is probably the safest place to be right now, but I'm not sure what we're going to see. I'm going with a more experienced traveler, all I know is that we're staying in Chelsea for a couple of days. And then, off to Paris. My companion speaks French, I'm trying to learn a little but so far all I've learned is "orange" and "pomme." Not very useful. We will no doubt see a few touristy attractions but I'd just as soon go to places less well known and avoid crowds. The Paris galeries look interesting, and then I don't know what else. Bon voyage!

I know it isn't what SkyNews and Fox would have anyone think at the moment, but I promise you that London is so safe for a city of its size. If there is a crime wave hitting here, then it's the trend of motorbikes mounting pavements and snatching people's smart phones out of their hands. And that isn't even anything to stress about, but there have been loads near major crossings like Waterloo and King's Cross, so keep your phone in your pocket when crossing the road. Islamic terrorism, not so much. Chelsea is beautiful and also super posh now; the whole area smells like rosewater. Being a posh area there are lots of fancy places to eat. You're also very close to town there and I'm sure you'll get loads in. Are you getting to Paris via Eurostar? I did it for the first time last year and had a great time (but then I'm unnervingly excited by trains so).