Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1135

Thread: The big unforumzed TRAVEL thread.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    It sounds like a successful trip all told, Dale. What dates were you in Paris for? We had an unbelievable heatwave here in London last week and I wonder if that's the same heatwave that hit Paris. I did nothing but lie on my bed with all the windows open for three days straight.

Everyone leaves things behind from time to time; passports, keys, children. It's just a part of being in a strange place and being addled by the new surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post

Everyone leaves things behind from time to time; passports, keys, children. It's just a part of being in a strange place and being addled by the new surroundings.
    hahahah!

I'm not an unforumz darling or anything, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at a big reunion/convention some place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I have a suggestion for next time, Dale: Try to have fun no matter what happens! Every time you take a trip, you have to expect a few things to go wrong. Judging from the photos I saw on FB, you had some wonderful experiences. Concentrate on those and stop second-guessing yourself!
    Well you're right. It was a wonderful trip, I'm just kind of astonished, and amused, at the number of things that could go wrong. I mean, we didn't get sick, or wreck the car, but just about everything else almost, came undone at one time or another. So we did have a great time and it was a great experience, and, I'm confident that I would do it better next time. And here are a couple of the many pictures I took. Monet's water garden and glaciers in Greenland.

IMG_0490-2_web.jpgIMG_0609-2_web.jpg

Those photos are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    It sounds like a successful trip all told, Dale. What dates were you in Paris for? We had an unbelievable heatwave here in London last week and I wonder if that's the same heatwave that hit Paris. I did nothing but lie on my bed with all the windows open for three days straight.

We were in Paris from June 17th to June 25th. I think the hottest two days were the 21st and 22nd. Thank the heat for making me want to try something really cold, and I just discovered that yes, I can buy Aperol here!

Addled we were. I just talked with my companion, who is an experienced traveler, and she said yes, it was amazing how many things went awry, and yet, yes we did have a wonderful time. I guess I forgot to mention that.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Yeah that was precisely in the end of the heatwave. Here down south in France it was 37-40 celcius. 0_o.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Yeah that was precisely in the end of the heatwave. Here down south in France it was 37-40 celcius. 0_o.
    fuck that, I'm a creature of milquetoast weather.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Last minute decision at work last week to send me to Manila for three weeks - so I'm heading over there on Saturday. Mostly will be working there, and won't get to see much other than the Metro Manila area - but hopefully I get to explore while I'm there!

Anyone been to the Philippines? Any tips / stuff I should know?

Don't do any drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Last minute decision at work last week to send me to Manila for three weeks - so I'm heading over there on Saturday. Mostly will be working there, and won't get to see much other than the Metro Manila area - but hopefully I get to explore while I'm there!

Anyone been to the Philippines? Any tips / stuff I should know?
    Not been there myself, but two (seperate) people I know just returned from the Philipines and are FULL of stories, but none so spectacular as swimming with whale sharks. If you've got an entire day off, consider a daytrip swimming with whale sharks in Donsol Bay, according to Lonely Planet this is one of the best places in the world for it.
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-...2-1479d277a6ca

Greece or Italy for a holiday, someone pick. (Can't decide.)

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    That's a tough one. Depends what you want to do...beach holiday or hike/culture? I always wanted to visit Sicily as I heard many wonderful things about it from friends/family.

I don't think I would have been any help, but if you asked my father he would tell you that Croatia is better because it feels like Italy without the Italians.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    Greece or Italy for a holiday, someone pick. (Can't decide.)
    Italy... I always found Greece (the bits I've seen) too dry and barren. Italy has more charm imo.
    Cinque Terre is lovely! Close to Pisa.
    (and Croatia is indeed nice, check out Pula)
    post28!

All I know is that I don't want to do anything in a city. I live in one, and while "nature" is a half an hour drive from me, but I want to see the wilds of another country. It's between Greece/Italy because they're both/still new to us, so they were picked.

Funnily enough my other half has added Croatia to the list too, will give it a look now.

Yo Soignee. Will you be with a car. In that case I would recommend Tuscany, you can enjoy the vast rustic wilds, and occasionally make a daytrip to some smaller tourist sites. Even Pisa won't give you a city feel, as it is relatively small and the tower itself is on the edge of town. I do not recommend Greece, as things to see (also nature stuff) are often really far apart (impractical). Only place you need to steer clear off in that case is Firenze.