Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The big unforumzed TRAVEL thread.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    ive been to a few places, but not enough. as said above--no job=no money, plenty o' time. job=money, no time. stupid american "holiday" system. new job and new house this year so both time and cash are limitied but, i might be in omgnyc in august for a conference (not sure if that counts as tourist fun), washington/oregon in septemberish, london/dublin or something in the winter. not sure about 2011--except possible shetland/orkney in scotland in june for some semi-midnight sun. which would be crazy awesome.

in the meantime, i vicariously live!

Going to Dubrovnik in September, from where I intend to see as much of Croatia, the Dalmatian Coast and islands, and Montenegro as possible. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be grateful to hear them!

^ yes, Pula!

post28!

Going to Costa Rica for sister-in-law's wedding in January! First real trip since hubby & I got married in 2006, so I'm super excited PLUS we're leaving the child behind with my mom so it's a week at an all-inclusive resort BABY FREE!!!! I cannot wait to act like I have no care in the world for an entire week.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBcn View Post
    Going to Dubrovnik in September, from where I intend to see as much of Croatia, the Dalmatian Coast and islands, and Montenegro as possible. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be grateful to hear them!
    No recommendations (I haven't been there myself) but I'm told Croatia is amazing. Beautiful, friendly and relatively cheap. I think you'll have a great time!

One of my friends just got back from Croatia and his photos are fantastic, it looks gorgeous. Enjoy

Just back from Brugge. It is a gorgeous city. Very medieval, loads of churches and canals, lovely beer and food. I definitely want to go back again, see it properly.

Wout, North Wales is gorgeous I usually go camping there every year near a little town called Bala. It's go a huge lake and is in the middle of the countryside.

Looks like we're going to get the hookup while we're in Germany, and be able to drive over to Zurich and stay with a friend of mine's parents for an evening! I'm SO EXCITED! I love getting the local's perspective of places.

Will you be going through anywhere in the Black Forest? You have to take photos!!

I went to Oslo 5 years ago and ended up chatting with quite a few locals. It's always so interesting hearing things that you normally don't read about in guidebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Going to Costa Rica for sister-in-law's wedding in January! First real trip since hubby & I got married in 2006, so I'm super excited PLUS we're leaving the child behind with my mom so it's a week at an all-inclusive resort BABY FREE!!!! I cannot wait to act like I have no care in the world for an entire week.
    Eee! I just went there last month. It's BEAUTIFUL.

Quote Originally Posted by DunMiff/sys View Post
    i might be in omgnyc in august for a conference (not sure if that counts as tourist fun)
    It will count as tourist fun if you call me and we go out for drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Mike View Post
    Will you be going through anywhere in the Black Forest? You have to take photos!!
    Yes! We'll do a day trip of driving through the Black Forest during the Ravensburg portion of our trip. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I called my Mom (she's German) and she suggested we check out Vogtsbauernhof. It's one of those open-air musuems where people are dressed in the clothing of the time period. She said I've been there, but I was probably like 3 or something so I don't remember.

Just got back from a 2 nt stay in Mendocino, CA (on Sunday). We go at least once a year because I am in love with the coast and the amazing weather. Seriously, 65(f) degree high in July & August? Yes please!

The husband has traveled much more than I have: France, Amsterdam, England, Vermont, and New York... I'll admit I am jealous We're hoping to go to England at some point but with the way things are right now, well, it probably won't happen for a while.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

thanks for the Croatia feedback, makes me even more keen!

I'm also going to Moscow for the first time in October for a business trip, but am hoping to stay on for a couple of days. Can anyone suggest a good museum on Russian/Soviet history? The whole Cold War era fascinates me, but I'm not sure if such a thing even exists there...
    Last edited by JonBcn; 07-13-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: fumble fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Mike View Post
    Wout, North Wales is gorgeous I usually go camping there every year near a little town called Bala. It's go a huge lake and is in the middle of the countryside.
    We went to Conwy and Betws-y-Coed, a bit more to the North on the borders of Snowdonia. But yeah, I totally fell for the place.
    I mean, look:

Also, Black Forest, yes! Freiburg is a lovely little town and the scenery is amazing. I spent a great week there last year.
    In 6 weeks I'm going to Italy and we're making a stop somewhere in the black forest (don't know where yet).
    Germany is such a great country for travelling.
    post28!

^ I am British and I am ashamed to say that while I have travelled the world, I have never been to Wales. I know England like the back of my hand, and have lived in the highlands of Scotland too. I must correct this.