Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah Slean talk...passioneers up and into this thread!

Sarah Slean talk...passioneers up and into this thread!

So it wouldn't be our beloved OMA without a Sarah Slean thread!

I'm a huge fan. Ever since i heard "sweet ones" on a college radio station when I was 13. Actually if it wasn't for Sarah I would have never gotten into Tori. I saw her for the first time at a local flower festival then again three years later at a tiny dive bar...Honestly they were two of the best shows I've ever been to. She has such spirit and character on stage and is perhaps even better live...

my favorite album is hands down Night Bugs without a doubt. From beginning to end there is nothing to skip.

alright, your turn! how did you find out about the wonderful Sarah Slean, and what is your favorite album?

from said festival..look how young she is!!!
    Last edited by scottslean; 07-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.

I love Day One.

Lucky Me and Mary rarely leave my iPod for very long.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    LOVEloveLOVE sarah! i, too, got into her through "sweet ones" and night bugs. her music always reminds me of autumn nights in texas.

while night bugs and day one are my favorites, i really love all of her albums. (yes, even the baroness.)

oh, what i wouldn't give to see a tour come to texas featuring all of my favorite canadians, i.e. sarah, hawksley workman, emm gryner, and ron sexsmith.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Day One is a great album, and Nightbugs is a very good one. There are some very good songs on Universe and Blue Parade, and even when she's being a Tori Amos clone (as she sometimes was in those early days) she's a good Tori Amos clone (evidence: title track from 'Universe.')

But shit did I have absolutely no feelings for The Baroness. It's like she identified what was interesting and engaging about her music and consciously decided to remove it. I know she's still got it because many of the non-album tracks still have the verve and immediacy of Nightbugs and Day One. I remember liking a few of the album tracks too. Still, a bit early in your career to pull a Beekeeper I should think!

Since The Baroness I've found it hard to muster enthusiasm. Hopefully she'll do something awesome in the near future and interest will be rekindled.

i can understand the dissapointment with the baroness, but "get home" is one of her best.

youtube seems to have removed the lovely noir-ish official video.

I dont understand the baroness dislike- it certainly doesn't deserve to be compared to the beekeeper. Songs like "Notes from the Underground", "Sound of Water", and "Goodnight Trouble" are so moving...at least to me. Yeah its very polished and poppy, but all of her releases are (sans "Universe" and "Blue Parade"). There are some clunkers..."Willow", "So Many Miles"..i'm looking at you..However, for the most part, it's pretty. Lastly, considering what most of the songs are about (depression, eating disorders, etc.) It's definitely interesting when put into context (of what Sarah was going through).

i agree with all of that. ^^ 100%

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Get Home = zzzzzzzz. It sure ain't no Lucky Me.

Baroness just sounds like a lesser sarah mclachlan record to my ears (and I really don't like sarah mclachlan to start with).

imho imho imho imho.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I highly, highly disliked The Baroness. Trite, MOR nonsense IMO. Yes, totally her Beekeeper.

Night Bugs is amazing, and I do like most of Day One, but The Baroness was pretty bland. Get Home is good, but not as good as anything on Night Bugs.

Day One is amazing. Night Bugs is great, but I'm not a fan of Hawksley's production (I'd rather him as a performer) so it sits at second favourite for me. Universe and Blue Parade have some amazing tracks (Universe, Me and Jerome, High, etc). The Baroness was ok. Sound of Water is quite nice and...yeah that's about it. It doesn't hold a candle to her past work.
    That being said, I'd still go see her whenever she plays a show. The best ones I've seen were at a wee club in Halifax where I practically was sitting on stage and ended up running to the bar for her halfway through her set, and at the Rosa in Calgary.

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Night Bugs is amazing, and I do like most of Day One, but The Baroness was pretty bland. Get Home is good, but not as good as anything on Night Bugs.
    This is pretty much where I am. I can't really remember anything about any of the songs on The Baroness, and I listened to it quite a few times. Night Bugs is probably one of my top 25 favorite records of all time. Every note is perfect to my ears. "Sweet Ones" and "Book Smart, Street Stupid" are classic songs.

I lost my copy of Day One. It's been a bitch to find from any of my usual (unseemly) online sources, they don't carry it on emusic, and it's so expensive to order a physical copy, so I haven't listened to it in years. Remember really liking it a lot though.

EDIT: I do remember a little bit about "Get Home," and whenever I try to recall it in my head, it invariably segues of its own accord into "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders.

"Get home, get hoooooooome . . . . . . . won't let nobody hurt yoooooooooooooooooou . . . "

I love The Baroness. It is unfairly criticized in my opinion. The whole thing stems from a dark period in her life and for me, reflects that perfectly. The album is very much a grower.

I totally agree with The Baroness dislike.. but for me it's more about the production of the album than the songs themselves. When Sarah did that CBC radio set and pulled out solo piano versions of stuff like Euphoria and Notes from the Underground it was just impeccable!

The Baroness would kick The Beekeeper's ass in the production department any day of the week. (imo!!)

the harmonies in this STILL make my hairs stand on end.

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/7115310/...lean_Twin_Moon