Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Slean talk...passioneers up and into this thread!

I re-listened to Day One and Night Bugs this morning while cleaning the house. Goddamn those records are good. I like chunks of songs from the records that came after but as complete works, I don't think any of them hold a candle to the earlier stuff.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I'm not convinced by the way the drums sound. Maybe it's because the clips are not great quality, but all the percussion sounds artificial. Maybe that's the reason why "The gypsy" and "1000 butterflies" are the ones that Make me really excited.
    And there's not a "funny song" a la "Sweet ones" or "Lucky me". I enjoy a lot the Funny Sarah.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    I'm not having any issues with the drums. The overall sound is rather lush and sumptuous and the melodies are strong. I've never completely fallen in love with Land & Sea because of the overall length, the varying degrees of successful songwriting, and the antiseptic, glossy sound. Metaphysics sounds a bit dialed back, to me. And that's welcomed. Drum issues are going unnoticed to my ears, unlike Tori's artifical drums on UG and bottom of the barrel guitar work for the last decade plus.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

This definitely sounds fuller compared to the past few records. Not quite as dynamic as Night Bugs or Day One, which I definitely agree are her best still, but it retains the gorgeous strings and poetry.

The whole album can be streamed on CBC. The album has different producers on it so you are going to hear different styles. The more I listen, the more I like. Think The Dark is my fave.

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/first-plays/2...an-metaphysics

I love Dark, and Gypsy .................hmm

Only listening to the album now, but I already love One Who Adores You. She has such a great voice!

Finally giving Metaphysics a proper listen and it's really gorgeous. Imo, this is easily her best work since Day One and sounds like it could've followed that album. I like that it's only 10 tracks and perfectly balanced between upbeat and more ballady songs. There doesn't seem to be any filler here, which has been a problem plaguing every release since Day One.

"The Dark" is my current favorite. Those strings are just out of this world. When the piano and other instruments start to emerge it all blooms into a gorgeously compelling piece.

The whole album is tight and obviously a labor of love. You can tell that she's put a lot of work into this album and the results are quite satisfying. It's sad to me that there is basically zero media campaign for this release, and even my usual online resources have been sleeping on it. That's a shame, because this is one of her strongest releases.

I love PledgeMusic, but I feel like it really takes the wind out of the sails when it comes time to do promo for the final product. The release date is so random (digital download ASAP, hard copies shipped soon after, then maybe weeks or months before it's available through regular retailers). It becomes hard to tell when the album is really "out", and by the time it's in stores the real fans have already been listening to it for a while. Not to mention the artist has already put a ton of promo/effort up front just into advertising the pre-order campaign. Album release through PledgeMusic always seems to be a bit of an anti-climax when you've been following the whole process so closely.

I really love her new album - I am not such a big fan in general, but I love her first EP "Universe" and the Baroness-CDs.
    She is an artist I turn to in times of relationship breakups and acute heartbreak.
    "Sarah" as the lead single now is so wonderfully done and uplifting.
    Here is a little video on how to play the chords to that song : https://www.facebook.com/CBCMusic/vi...8836107173180/

Somebody posted this on one of the Tori threads: http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/18518/m...th-sarah-slean
    Sarah picked 10 songs and artist she particularily likes and gives some explanation why.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Metaphysics is really gorgeous! My favourite record so far is The Baroness Redecorates, but this one is so good! I'm glad I've bought the signed copy
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Someone posted a Sarah Slean list of songs for Tori fans.
    Can someone re-post that list here or their own list if it tickles your fancy? I'm pretty sure I've never heard a single song and would like to know where to start.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

I Want To Be Brave
    Pilgrim
    California
    Sound of Water
    Parasol
    Eliot
    Angel
    Amen
    Blue Parade
    Dress Rehearsal Rag (Leonard Cohen cover)

I finally decided to sit down with the new one, and wow! Sarah's been on my radar since the @forumz days or before - I definitely got a bunch of tracks from Napster back in the day! - and I've always loved individual songs (Angel and Sweet Ones were my favorites). But for some reason this whole album is working for me in a way the older ones didn't. Particularly fond of Every Rhythm Is The Beat, The Dark, The Gypsy and Sarah). I'm going to have to give The Baroness and Land And Sea another listen - I'm worried I might have given them short shrift now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm going to have to give The Baroness and Land And Sea another listen - I'm worried I might have given them short shrift now.
    Those are good, but start with Night Bugs and Day One first!! That's necessary Slean!!