Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Vienna Teng Thread

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar

The All-Inclusive Vienna Teng Thread

So... I understand there are not many Vienna lovers here but I felt that a topic on her was missing.

If someone would like to have a little tip on what she does, I found this:

Hope on fire - Piano solo

Toriphiles for sure will find some similarites and Vienna herself says that Tori Amos was one of her inspirations.
    She's a very skilled pianist and songwriter, her lyrics are really interesting. Nothing as eclectic as Joanna Newsom's or cryptic as early Tori's, but still very compelling.

The number of songs that IMO should be checked out is too big so I'll post just another pair of videos.

Blue Caravan Live

The Tower (with lyrics)

On her official site there's a "Listen" page that maybe someone will find interesting

http://viennateng.com/listen/

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar

Icon15

Count me amongst the few Vienna lovers. As well as being an amazing musician and a totally sweet person she's also a geek and used to work for Cisco as a programmer.

I'm seeing her in London next month.

I still haven't had the chance to see her live I look forward to it, the Live at World Caf DVD is amazing.

I've seen her a couple of times. Once was a support slot with Sarah Harmer and the other was her own show. Both were at the lovely Borderline in London. Next month she's playing at a place called The Bush Hall which is a wonderful venue and will suit her music perfectly.

In 2008 I know she came to Italy but then I didn't know her. This summer tour doesn't have italian dates but in may 2011 she's going to make some others... maybe I'll be lucky then

I hope you get to see her Maeve. She puts on a lovely show.

Vienna is fantastic. I actually interviewed her for a college assignment and she was adorable. It includes a Q&A as well as clips from her show later that evening at Schubas in Chicago.

Inland Territory, to my ears, sounds like her best album. It's cohesive, well-crafted, and finally showcases all of Vienna's strengths as a musician. Her entire catalogue is extremely strong and she doesn't show any signs of stopping. I'd rank the albums like this:

Inland Territory
    Warm Strangers
    The Waking Hour
    Dreaming Through the Noise

Wow! Thanks for the clip!
    She really seems a nice person.

I don't know how I'd rate her albums, each one of them is a favorite at different times and I have to confess that I never listened to the songs in the proper order. I have all the mp3's on the hard drive, a playlist with all of the songs and I always let it play on shuffle.

I can point to some songs that I love more than others but overall her works are fantastic.

The new live album is fantastic, with all of her best songs (Antebellum, The Harbor, The Tower, No Gringo, Blue Caravan), and a great Radiohead cover. I have yet to see her live, but I am definitely going to check her out next time she's in town. Working with Alex Wong clearly did her well, because Inland Territory is fantastic.

The last time I saw her she was with Alex Wong. He played the support slot of the show as well. He's a cool dude. I believe he will be there at Vienna's next show in London.

Love her lots, she was one of the first artists I got into after I discovered Tori. She's a fantastic songwriter and also a really wonderful, kind person. I've seen her live three times.

My artwork was included in the special edition book of the new live album

annaybunny I discovered her thanks to you, on @

How's that book? And the CD with it it's the standard version (jewel case and all) or it's in some cardboard sleeve?
    I was thinking to order the last album but I'm really undecided.

I'd love to have the book but I also love having the CD alone standing beside the other ones.

And I'm really tempted by the USB flash memory since there are some extras.

I saw that there's a sort of promotion with a book+USB purchase... but I'm afraid I'm going to miss the regular CD case.

(and great artwork!)

Vienna has so many good songs. I want to buy the new live album but once again it isn't available in the UK. Grr.

I've just discovered Vienna a month or two ago. I got a Sheryl Crow CD from my local library and when I opened it I found Vienna Teng's Dreaming Through the Noise. It was a nice surprise. From that album I really like "Whatever You Want," "Love Turns 40," "I Don't Feel So Well" and "1Br/1Ba."

Right now I'm listening to Warm Strangers and am really into "Harbor" and "Hope On Fire."

I'm planning on buying her latest album, Inland Territory, soon.

Glad you're enjoying discovering Vienna Scott. She's a wonderful artist.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."