Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The All-Inclusive Vienna Teng Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    I love Inland Territory but I actually think I prefer Dreaming Through the Noise. It's a more hushed, intricate affair, but if you pushed me, I'd say it's where her line-by-line songwriting is absolutely at its strongest. Inland Territory and Aims are definitely "flashier" though.
    Ahhh you're speaking my language, completely agree with every word.

Quote Originally Posted by thestrand View Post
    Now we just need Tori to cover a Vienna song! How fantastic would her covering Gravity or Antebellum be? Yum.
    Amen to this!!

ETA: Nick, thank you so much for posting her cover of Winter, I never heard that one either! I've heard her 1000 Oceans cover, which is equally beautiful.

Spectacular solo set tonight at City Winery! She's such a all-around pleasure; I could honestly just listen to her sit up there and talk to the audience for two hours. Luckily she also did a ton of singing, busting out a nice long setlist made largely of requests and pulling from all of her albums. This was a million times better than the Highline show a couple of years ago, to be honest, though a lot of that (for me) had to do with the venue. Everything tonight was solo at the piano, with some minimal vocal looping at times, and excluding an encore duet with the opening band. The James Blake cover was just a 90 second intro into Recessional, and seemingly off the cuff, but it was gorgeous.

There are reports I may have cried during the City Hall/Harbor combo, but these have not been confirmed.

Full setlist:

Never Look Away
    Now Three
    Copenhagen (Let Me Go)
    Overgrown (James Blake) intro -> Recessional
    Antebellum
    The Hymn Of Acxiom
    Kansas
    Level Up
    City Hall
    Harbor
    Daughter
    Gravity
    Eric’s Song
    Pontchartrain
    Radio
    In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
    Whatever You Want
    Lullaby For A Stormy Night
    Goodnight New York

Falling Slowly (from Once) (with The Bollards)
    Grandmother Song
    Last edited by Nick; 04-24-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I was at this too! I was the lunatic yelling for Kansas, I am beyond thrilled that she did it. That, Hymn and Recessional are my three favorite songs of hers so the three of them was just stunning for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Purrky View Post
    I was at this too! I was the lunatic yelling for Kansas, I am beyond thrilled that she did it. That, Hymn and Recessional are my three favorite songs of hers so the three of them was just stunning for me.
    Gah, wasn't it so good? Thanks for the Kansas request - it isn't one of my favorite album tracks (though I quite like it) but it was definitely one of the highlights tonight. I'm too shy to yell requests, but my favorite all time Vienna song is Blue Caravan, so I'll admit I was holding out hope that it would strike her fancy. No complaints, though; the setlist was great (and City Hall would have been my next choice anyway).

I was also stoked to hear Never Look Away solo; I was disappointed she didn't do it at the Highline show on her Aims tour (I think she did every other song on the album), but the solo version totally made up for that.
    Last edited by Nick; 04-24-2015 at 05:05 AM.

David Byrne on Vienna's The Hymn of Acxiom!

Colorguard and the Failure of Irony?

lots of text because David Byrne
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I need to check some of her other work out. I only know "The Hymn Of Acxiom" based on the many mentions it's received on this site, and I love that song.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Here's a list of songs I think are representative of her career!

Gravity
    Shasta (Carrie's Song)
    Passage
    Blue Caravan
    Recessional
    Grandmother Song
    No Gringo
    In the 99
    The Hymn of Acxiom
    Never Look Away

^ that's a pretty good list
    the only two I'd maybe add are
    - City Hall (song about gay marriage)
    What can you tell me about your inspiration for the song “City Hall”?
    VT: That was very topical in February 2005. There were these marriages taking place at City Hall in San Francisco because of the declaration that Mayor Gavin Newsom made. Within my group of friends, there were a couple of people who sent out e-mails saying: “We’re going. We’re going to be in line. Wish us luck.” It was an amazing thing to witness at the time. Obviously, there were a lot of political repercussions, but I was struck by how beautiful the event itself was. Seeing all these people who were partners in life, who were in love with each other, and were celebrating it. It was such a cool thing to see. I wanted to write about it, but I wanted to do it right and I didn’t know how. So I wrote little scraps of lyrics here and there, but I didn’t really like any of them. I did know that I wanted it to be called “City Hall.” That’s all I had for a long time. It wasn’t until maybe September [2005] that I suddenly got this idea. What’s the most homophobic genre of music out there? I guess hip-hop is one, but I can’t write a hip-hop song. But country music seems to be pretty straight for the most part. I wonder if it would be funny if I wrote a country song about this event. Of course, it didn’t come out exactly that way because I can’t write country music, per se. Once I had that idea of writing in that vein, it all fell together for some reason. Then I could write the music and lyrics. I just had a lot of fun with it after that.
    http://www.gaylesbiantimes.com/?id=9553
    - Green Island Serende (because she's singing in Chinese)

Question to those of you that buy Vienna's hardcopy albums: do the booklets include the lyrics? I'm contemplating buying them. (Lyrics via digital just never pack the same punch for me.)

Sadly, I missed the DC concert of a couple days ago.

I saw a choir called 'The Few' the other night and they covered Hymn of Acxiom. I have video!

The Few - Hymn of Acxiom (Vienna Teng) (The Troubadour, London, 16/06/2015)
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

It's the West Coast's turn for some solo request shows! Hope people can go

10 Jul: Vancouver, BC
    11 Jul: Seattle, WA (two shows)
    12 Jul: Portland, OR
    15 Jul: Sacramento, CA
    16 Jul: Stanford, CA

Do any of you other Teng superfans happen to have the audio/video from a webcast she did prior to Dreaming Through the Noise's release where she performed several of those songs (Blue Caravan, Love Turns 40, Recessional. etc.) for the first time? The arrangements are more robust than the studio cuts and I've always wished I saved them. It would have been from 2006 or possibly 2005.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased