Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Vienna Teng Thread

I still can't get enough of No Gringo; what a powerful song

^Definitely, one of the most powerful songs in terms of lyrics and imagery.

Argh, I just love her so much. The only reason I listened to her debut was because I loved the album cover/title combination. Then to have the music match the intrigue was a pleasant surprise. Since then, she's only gotten better and I'd call Waking Hour my "least favorite" but I still, of course, adore it.

I discovered her with the third album. It got some good write-ups in the press (suprisingly mainly in jazz magazines). Inland Territory is certainly very adventurous and "out there" compared to the other ones regarding the arrangements. I'm making up my own theory about how female musicians seem to step it up a notch with their 4th album (cf. Tori, Kate Bush, Fiona Apple, Björk), there's something about that.

Vienna has been putting up some really interesting songwriting diaries with some sounds; great idea.

http://soundcloud.com/vienna-teng/so...ing-diary-no-3

The song diary idea is brilliant. I love hearing her creative process! That song is sounding lovely, too.

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Just found out that Vienna is playing in London in November. Yay! It's been way too long since she last visited us on this side of the pond.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

New album "Aims" is out September 24th

Listen to three songs here - http://viennateng.bandcamp.com/album/aims

I'm kind of blown away by these songs. She's never had a fuller sound! Can't wait to hear this.

Was hoping she would put some clips up soon! Can't wait for my show in October.

AAAAAAH those songs are so fucking good! That production is out of CONTROL! SO EXCITED WHAT I CAN'T.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Vienna has a kickstarter project to make a new video.

Level Up: A Music Video For the New Album AIMS

Looks interesting! :-)
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I think some pre-orders have started to ship. So exciting! I can't wait for the NY show in a couple of weeks.

Nice interview at http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=807118.

I've been meaning to bump this thread! Thanks, Nick

I was lucky enough to accompany my friend Peter (who posts here!) on a video / interview shoot with Vienna for Glide Magazine. I'm not going to spoil anything about it, but it's going to be a fantastic piece of promo once it's edited. I got to meet and chat with Vienna for a bit - she remembered me from interviewing her at Schubas back in 2009. She is so humble and down-to-Earth, it's mindblowing. Watching her soundcheck and belt these amazing songs then peacefully talk to us was surreal. She told a funny story about having a fan request Momentum, a song she's not particularly fond of these days, and how she rambled on about it before playing it and felt like an ass afterwards. It was cute.

She also mentioned that Aims won't be available on vinyl at first but will probably be eventually. That was followed-up with a casual comment about releasing her entire discography on vinyl, which of course would be brilliant.

As for the new album - incredible. I don't know where it will rank when it's all said and done, but it is just so different from her others in a great way. The songwriting and vocals are still top-notch, but the added production just really takes her sound to places its never been. Just wait until you hear Landsailor!

Well by golly, Aims is streaming in full via Paste!

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/a...ng---aims.html

Had some 30 second sneak peeks on Paste (saving the rest for the actual album-in-hand). I think Oh Mama No might be a favorite already, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Well by golly, Aims is streaming in full via Paste!

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/a...ng---aims.html
    Well, that's a contender for album of the year, right there. Girl has Leveled Up in a big way. Even more jazzed to see her in a month!