Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubal ligation

Tubal ligation

Who here has one either by "traditional" means or new methods such as Essure or Ovoblock?

I have my surgery consult on the 12th and I'm starting to get nervous that I will have diffulculty convincing the Dr. that I am beyond 100% certain I'm done having kids.

I had to think long and hard on not having a second, I can't think of one single reason why it's a good idea. I find babies boring(even though I love them and enjoy their company I'm so done after about 15 mins), the thought of dealing with diapers again on a routine basis makes me panicky. We got lucky with our son temperament and behaviour wise- I don't think it'll happen twice.

I'm already getting grief about the whole "only child" business, what if you change your mind? What if your son dies? It's almost worse than the when are you having more questions.

For those who had one, which method did you have? What factors helped you or your dr decide it over the others?

I haven't had one yet, but a few years ago my doctor said she would be on board when I was ready, so I will be asking about Essure when I have my yearly in a few months. The goal is to have it done around Christmas so I have a few days off to relax just in case I don't take it well. I decided this would be a good option for me because a) my insurance covers it, b) a co-worker had it done and was very pleased with recovery time, and c) I like the idea that there are no incisions. I got to see an actual proper tubal ligation done laparoscopically once and it seems barbaric by comparison to someone essentially going in hysteroscopy-style.

I think having a c-section has removed the surgery fear for me, because really it can't be more invasive than that -lol- The biggest fear I have about Essure is that it doesn't take properly etc, or they're not in the right place, then something else has to be done anyways. The surgeon I am going to see, I can't find much on her with the internets, other than she's young (a year younger than i am), was top of her class and specializes in women's health/fertility with her OBGYN-ness. Her name is connected to Essure in a lot of medical articles too, which I'm looking forward to seeing if she is certified etc with it as the Essure reps themselves told me no one in Ottawa was certified - but they didn't really seem to be well informed etc, so who knows. Monday can't get here fast enough!

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    I had one 6 years ago and it went really well. The doctor did ask several times during consultation if I was sure about it since she does more than just a little snip. She cut out a decent amount of tube and then cauterized the end. I was a little sore afterward and not allowed to lift items for a while, but no side effects other wise. Minimal scarring. I couldn't convince her to take out my uterus while at it though, just because I'm tired of periods.

I think what stands out the most from the whole thing was that I got pissed while coming out of my very pleasant drug induced haze because someone was calling me by my full first name. I've never been a fan of the full version. The doc fixed my belly button while there. It was all misshapen from having my son, and now it's a nice round innie again.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

People have actually used "what if your son dies" as a reason for possibly wanting another child in the future??? I find that, just, dehumanizing.

My son is an only child because it took every ounce of everything I had to mother him, plain and simple. Surgical birth control has never occurred to me. The idea of any kind of surgery is generally off putting to me, though. I see Essure is being billed as non-surigical, though?

Good luck with your consult.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Becka, I have no experience with the procedure. But I want to echo what Cairn said: All the best with the upcoming consultation. And people making insensitive comments about your very personal choice should have their tongues amputated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post

My son is an only child because it took every ounce of everything I had to mother him, plain and simple. Surgical birth control has never occurred to me. The idea of any kind of surgery is generally off putting to me, though. I see Essure is being billed as non-surigical, though?

Good luck with your consult.
    I hear you loud and clear. It is nice to hear this from someone else. My daughter is great, but it has taken every fiber of my being to parent her. She is sweet, but she is literally one of those children that people refer to as "well if I had him/her first, they would be an only child". Well, we adopted her first and the adjustment was not easy for anyone. So she is our only.

Becka, good luck with the consult. This thread has reminded to research Essure. I literally know nothing about it except the non-surgical billing.

My friend had the traditional method done about 10 years ago or so. She ended up having a ectopic pregnancy a few years later. Although not likely, Ectopic pregnancy can occur after the surgery.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    Mine is an only because only 1/2 of the conception equation worked. By the time I got divorced and remarried I wasn't about to start over again with an infant at or near 40 yo.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

I had my consultation today with my OB/GYN We discussed the options of tubal ligation procedure and we settled on Essure. She's one of the only people in Ontario that is trained to do it (as the kit is not covered by OHIP).. She has an agreement with the company for free kits as it's about $1500 to have the procedure done and she's working to get everything covered by OHIP. The company that makes the clamps are stopping production of the clamps, so hopefully it means that Essure will take off in terms of sterilization and coverage by medical insurance/government healthcare.

If you are currently using a Mirena IUD (like I am), depending on the placement of the IUD arms you can have the coils inserted while leaving your IUD in place, thus negating the need for backup birth control during the 3 month blocking time the coils need. I'll hopefully be having the procedure done in late September/October. It takes about 5-10 minutes to do the whole insertion etc.

I went in feeling pretty nervous, like I was going to have to do battle to convince her that I was sure about it. She only asked me once if I was really really sure, I said yes and told her that we were happy with our family of three and if we were dead set on having another child there were other avenues to pursue to make it happen. She was pleased that I was confident in my decision and I was too for not losing it -l- So now I just kick back and wait for the phone call in September that she has a kit for me.

I'm seriously considering having my tubes tied since having Ethan. Totally unexpected pregnancy after 13 years of sub-fertility. While I love the little guy, I doubt we'll have another, especially with my two pregnancies ending up high risk by the third trimester. Is it selfish of me to want to keep my tubes "just in case"?

nope not at all. you'd still be able to have a baby if you really really wanted to.

Yay! I'm glad things went well for you, Becka. You must be so relieved. Sounds like you're in the best possible hands. Why isn't OHIP covering the procedure?

I guess I wasn't totally accurate in how my son came to be an only child. At one point I did want more than one, but it had to happen within a certain time frame in addition to not happening as a single mom. The window closed before I was married, or we as a couple were ready. It didn't actually hit me until a bit later that it was a good thing he was an only child.

I got mine when my second son was born. I had C sections for both, so it was a pretty simple thing. I'm done birthing babies, but I hope to take in foster kids in a few years. Girls please!
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    So instead of making a new thread, I'll just add to this one...

I had my yearly today and talked about different options for BC. I am so done with kids. Pregnancy will not be happening in this body anymore. SO...with that said, I don't know if i want to have a tubal, mainly because I'm not up for surgery. I want an IUD, but my obgyn when I had Abby said the placement of my cervix did not make me a good candidate for one. That leads me to believe that I probably would not be a good candidate for Essure either.

My dr is actually a PA, so she doesn't insert IUDs. I would have to talk to the physician at my practice, who sees my husband and son. He's really nice and I do really like him and would feel comfortable with him. She said that while she also has a hard time reaching my cervix, "Dr I has never not placed and IUD." I'm going to be setting up an appt with him for a consult and exam to see if he thinks I can do this or not.

all that leads me to this...Mirena or Paragard? Mirena sounds like a better option for the period but Paragard lasts longer. Also, how did the insertion feel? Does it hurt? Any side effects from the insertion? How can you tell if it's in place properly? I've read the brochures and websites, but I want some practical info from people with experience too.

i have a mirena right now, insertion pinched a wee bit at insertion but it was really no more than having a pap smear. My dr checked placement when i had to go back to see her 3-4 months later just to make sure.i've had no problems with it, it's good for 5 years, my period is next to nothing (only have it really every month and a half).

Still waiting on my call for my Essure kit. She said fall., I'm like it's september BRING IT ON