Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Underrated/Overrated Thread

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar

The Underrated/Overrated Thread

I don't know if anyone felt the need of a thread like this here but... :P ...I love these kind of topics.

So, pick a movie that you think it's overrated or underrated and tell why that's your opinion

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

I'll begin with: Avatar - Overrated

Technically it's really astounding but...

first: I always prefer real actors than puppets (digital or not). I really can't evaluate a performance based only on a voiceover and tons of rendered pixels. And in a movie actors' performance can make or sink the entire film.

Second: the story... it's a cliché from start to end.

When I saw this movie I really couldn't understand all the hype surrounding it.
    It's an average action movie with great computer skills on it. That's all.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Don't shoot me but... The Shawshank Redemption (Overrated.)

I liked it, thought it was good, but it's not the amazing life-changing experience I have found some to label it. Maybe I need to watch it again but it didn't blow me away like some others.

Dogville (Overrated)

I couldn't believe that I had wasted two hours of my life for THAT pay-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
    I'll begin with: Avatar - Overrated
    I have to agree. I was actually pretty bored watching it. I don't expect all movies to be Oscar-worthy, but I do like to be entertained from start to finish, not bored.

Knocked Up - Overrated

Overall I found it offensive, chauvinistic, and completely unfunny. I've relied for years on RottenTomatoes.com's movie ratings, so when I saw that it had 90% I was all - Wow! This movie must be fantastic! I have no idea why so many critics gave it a positive review.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Don't shoot me but... The Shawshank Redemption (Overrated.)

I liked it, thought it was good, but it's not the amazing life-changing experience I have found some to label it. Maybe I need to watch it again but it didn't blow me away like some others.
    I didn't know that this movie was so praised.
    I find it to be a good movie and one of the best transpositions of a Stephen King's novel... but nothing life changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Dogville (Overrated)

OMG! I began to watch it once, I think I sustained the pain for about 20 minutes then shut it down. (or shOt it down, I think it deserved it :P )

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
    I didn't know that this movie was so praised.
    I find it to be a good movie and one of the best transpositions of a Stephen King's novel... but nothing life changing.
    It's the No.1 rated film on IMDB and I really don't think it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Dogville (Overrated)

I think it's one of the most brilliant endings ever, one of my absolute favorite. Vicious and heartless, just how I like it.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Vardřger View Post
    I think it's one of the most brilliant endings ever, one of my absolute favorite. Vicious and heartless, just how I like it.
    It just felt like a cop-out. I felt genuinely swindled.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    The Dark Knight. Although comic movies aren't my favorite, I really liked X-Men 1&2 and Spider Man, so it's not like I can't stand them all on principle.

I don't know what specifically I didn't like, but it was more of a general nothing worked for me.

I'll second the Dark Knight statement. Heath Ledger was incredible, yes, but I never felt that the film itself was the subversive masterpiece everyone claimed it to be. In fact, the first third of the film never factors into the overall storyline enough to justify its length and by the time the main arc kicks in, it's climax after climax, a neverending final scene that takes up the other two thirds.

I agree about Dark Knight. It was overlong and boring. Heath Ledger was the best part.

Can we do TV shows as well? If so...

True Blood. Overrated. I'm sorry, I just find it really boring. Nothing happens, nothing happens, INYOURFACESEX, nothing happens...

Add me to the list of people who loved the end of Dogville and thought it was a brilliant payoff.

It saddens me when I meet people who don't like True Blood but instead like Twilight.

Donnie Darko.

It's definitely a good film but after hearing people praise it and rave about it so much and so long I was expecting to be substantially blown away by it the time I got to see it and I wasn't. I didn't see much in it that hadn't been done before re: coming of age angst, time travel paradoxes, sharp-edged dialogue etc. It clearly struck a chord in a lot of people, but not me.