Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: The Underrated/Overrated Thread

Hiya Cath!

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 07:37 PM.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    ^ I would add Nighty Night to that Buzzfeed list.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I love The Hour.

I despise Ryan Gosling...went to see the new Blade Runner yesterday and for me, he ruined it. Especially after La La Land and Only God Forgives, I'll think twice now before I go see another movie with that actor

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 10:06 PM.

The Good Place is overrated and BORING!!

I also feel like Bojack Horseman and Rick and Morty are as well. However, I am willing to admit that cartoons are just not my genre, no matter how clever.

Alone Together is underrated. It's still trying to find its feet, but I laugh quite a bit each episode. We had to pause the episode were Esther thinks about freezing her eggs because we were laughing too hard to continue watching.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I also feel like Bojack Horseman and Rick and Morty are as well. However, I am willing to admit that cartoons are just not my genre, no matter how clever.
    They most definitely are! I do like Rick and Morty quite a bit, but it's not the masterpiece some people like to claim it is. In my opinion, The Venture Bros. and Adventure Time are funnier, more interesting and have more heart.

Also overrated is a film I just saw called I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore. It made me think of Super, if Super was devoid of any positive qualities. Basically, a woman gets robbed and she wants to get her stuff back and confront the robber. She befriends and is helped out by her lame, geeky neighbor (Elijah Wood). I'm not sure if I missed something, but the film seemed very confused as far as what it wanted to be. The tone is all over the place. Sometimes it wants to be the typical quirky/indie film, other times it tries to be a bit dark and suspenseful. There's also attempts at humor, but oftentimes, it's hard to tell whether some things were intentional or not. There's also terrible use of music and bad acting in this movie. I'm not sure what the point was.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I personally think Rick and Morty is great because, you know, everything Dan Harmon writes is basically meta and tropes/subverting tropes. It's clever in the way it's written (just like Community was). Maybe if one isn't that much into storytelling and analyzing story tropes obsessively this peculiarity might seem irrelevant and therefore the whole thing might seem less interesting. Personally, I'm capable of spending hours on tvtropes.org. I've done that.

Imho, Black Sails is VASTLY underrated. And THE WIRE!! And most sitcoms are overrated :/ The only sitcom I can appreciate is Will&Grace.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

I loved Community!

Quote Originally Posted by seso View Post
    I despise Ryan Gosling...went to see the new Blade Runner yesterday and for me, he ruined it. Especially after La La Land and Only God Forgives, I'll think twice now before I go see another movie with that actor
    I'm totally the opposite. He was one of these actors I never understood why people thought he was so special. Saw him in The Big Short and was impressed by his role. Then Nice Guys made me a legit fan of his. I thought he crushed it in BR2049. Very subtle, powerful performance.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Ryan Gosling is ridiculous. Somewhere out in the ocean there's a sea-witch holding a contract with his signature on it. It's not otherwise possible for someone to be so handsome and talented and to have that much charisma.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I feel like the Jennifer Aniston movie "Cake" and her performance in it are ridiculously underrated. A total gem of a movie. She's great in Office Space too.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    The film Amelie should have won best foreign language film at the academy awards. It is a delightful, whimsical flick unlike any I've seen before. Beautiful score and top notch directing and screenplay. And it features Audrey Tautou giving one of her finest performances (all the actors were great.) I think I've seen it at least 10 times. It just never gets old for me.

my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    Overrated Forrest Gump: In case you all were wondering, its best to view American history as an idiot. Complexity, introspection, and growing up lead to dying of AIDS, or at least getting your legs blown off