Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Underrated/Overrated Thread

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    The Shawshank Redemption

God, yes!!!
    This is the type of movie that people who don't know better always choose as their favorite movie. That or The Green Mile. Bleh.

Overrated: Talented mr Ripley.
    BOOOOORRRRIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGG

Underrated: Twister.
    It's fun and it has debris and cows
    post28!

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    RE: The dark knight - The whole new Batman movie series is widely overrated IMO.

RE: The Shawshank redemption - Number 1? O.o Really? OMG.

RE: Talented Mr Ripley - Totally agree.

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    God, yes!!!
    This is the type of movie that people who don't know better always choose as their favorite movie. That or The Green Mile. Bleh.

Overrated: Talented mr Ripley.
    BOOOOORRRRIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGG

Twister has Tori too!

I saw it when it came out at the drive-in. It works much better on a big screen.

I liked The Shawshank Redemption, but I found the short story it was based on to be MUCH better. I wonder if people confuse it and the novella.

I just read and watched Talented Mr Ripley and it didn't work for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I liked The Shawshank Redemption, but I found the short story it was based on to be MUCH better. I wonder if people confuse it and the novella.
    The novella's good (and better than the film) but even in King's canon I wouldn't place it near the top, so the fact that the film is the highest-ranking on IMDB would be surprising to me if not for the fact that there are plenty of questionable films in the Top 250.

I don't think there is a truly good King film adaptation, nor do I ever expect there to be.

God, yes!!!

YES! Utter love.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    The Green Mile. Bleh.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    On the subject of King adaptations, I do like Carrie.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Dogville (Overrated)

I couldn't believe that I had wasted two hours of my life for THAT pay-off.
    It's in my top 10. I love von Trier.

Overrated:
    Avatar definitely is the first thing that comes to mind.
    Agree with Donnie Darko as well (but it could be because of all the hype).
    AI wasn't critically received with praise yet I loved it. (Think it might be due to the fact Spielberg hijacked the project from Kubrick).

Underrated:
    The Gift (love this little movie).
    Secretary (very charming).

Quote Originally Posted by gog View Post
    Donnie Darko.

It's definitely a good film but after hearing people praise it and rave about it so much and so long I was expecting to be substantially blown away by it the time I got to see it and I wasn't. I didn't see much in it that hadn't been done before re: coming of age angst, time travel paradoxes, sharp-edged dialogue etc. It clearly struck a chord in a lot of people, but not me.
    Trufax.

I love The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile!

OVERRATED:
    Saving Private Ryan - I actually very much enjoy watching this film but I think it's overrated in the sense that it's trotted out sometimes as a 'great' film when it's really not one. The opening part and a lot of the action is amazing but the storyline itself is pretty rubbish, and I don't find that it really says anything notable about war or the war (Band of Brothers to me is so much more successful with these aspects).

Agree on Avatar and Donnie Darko.

Benjamin Button - David Fincher has done so much better and I really didn't get anything out of it at all.

UNDERRATED:
    Groundhog Day - it's not necessarily an underrated film per se these days, but I do think it's far more interesting than it was marketed as.

Alien 3 - watching the extended edition on DVD gave me such a new perspective on this movie. The storyline is so brave and unique for a popular franchise, and I completely love the atmosphere.

Agree on A.I. - I really didn't enjoy this the first time around but it has really grown on me. I'm torn about the ending - part of me likes it and part of me wishes it had been left out.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAE View Post
    I love The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile!

OVERRATED:
    Saving Private Ryan

Groundhog Day is a classic and was initially meant to be far more philosophical than it ended up. It is still a headfuck and amazing and hilarious, though. Also underrated is Bring It On SERIOUSLY NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by gog View Post
    Donnie Darko.

It's definitely a good film but after hearing people praise it and rave about it so much and so long I was expecting to be substantially blown away by it the time I got to see it and I wasn't. I didn't see much in it that hadn't been done before re: coming of age angst, time travel paradoxes, sharp-edged dialogue etc. It clearly struck a chord in a lot of people, but not me.
    That's what happened to me with Pulp Fiction. My boyfriend at the time went on and on so much about the omgamazingness of Pulp Fiction that there was no way in hell it was ever going to live up to my overblown expectations. He had already recited half of the one-liners so that by the time I saw it, I felt like I was just re-living his recited version of it. Meh, meh, meh.

Movies

Overrated:

I shouldnt say that Avatar is overrated, because I havent seen it. But... with that said... I think it's overrated haha.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of oscar contenders are overrated, in general.

The hype around Paranormal Activity felt a little too good to be true. Yeah, there were some pretty genuinely scary moments... but I was ultimately disappointed.

Underrated:

One of my favorite movies is Moll Flanders, with Robin Wright. Who is, IMO, a vastly underrated actress. She's easily on par with women like Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet... however she's managed to remain slightly below radar.

The Fifth Element is another favorite of mine. I believe it has a cult following, but it's one of Bruce Willis' best roles. He should do more movies in the same vein... they really work for him.

Death Becomes Her. I NEVER hear about this one... but it's so amazing.

Anything by Wes Anderson. His subtle sense of humor and ability to capture such incredible moods is astounding to me.

TV Shows

Overrated:

I might get shot by saying this, but... Saved By The Bell. I just can't. And knowing Dustin Diamond's personality, in retrospect, just makes it more intollerable. Quite a few of my friends adore it though, which I don't understand.

Grey's Anatomy. It's just too much.

Reality TV in general.

Underrated:

Pushing Daisies was underrated and cancelled too soon. As were Dollhouse and Firefly.

Kids in the Hall. One of the funniest sketch shows ever, doesnt usually get the recognition it deserves.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clarion View Post
    I don't think there is a truly good King film adaptation, nor do I ever expect there to be.
    I think Misery is the best King adaptation.
    Since Shawshank is first I have to say, then, that Misery is underrated.

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

Someone mentioned Groundhog Day as underrated and I agree. I also think that Stranger Than Fiction is underrated. Will Ferrel is actually very good in it.

tv: Freaks and Geeks, Better Off Ted, Life.

In an alternate (and better because of it) universe Pushing Daisies and Firefly would have never been cancelled.

Overrated:
    film - Napoleon Dynamite
    tv - Lost.