Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: "I Had My Tubes Tied"

Tomorrow is another day cinny~lou's Avatar
    ^ Really? Crud. I was hoping to get an IUD should I ever need birth control again...but I have a really, really low pain tolerance.

Insertion probably only took a minute. It's possible that maybe it would have hurt less if they hadn't been doing a biopsy in the first place, thus making the whole area really sensitive? I dunno. I'm still cramping, but either one could be the culprit. It's not the worst cramping I've ever had or anything (D&Cs are much worse) if that's any consolation.

I would say that while it's painful, it's only once every five years. And in my case, major medical picks it up so I'm going to save oodles in pharmacy copays by not having to be on the ring anymore.

A friend of mine got an IUD (copper) and said she was in pain for at least a few weeks. Her gyno gave her vicodin, though, which should up your pain tolerance, cinny. I'd just say find a doctor who takes your pain seriously and isn't squeamish about controlled substances.

Tomorrow is another day cinny~lou's Avatar
    ^ Pain for WEEKS? Vicodin? Wow. I didn't realize it was so...involved? Invasive?

I guess it's different for everyone, but that seems a bit extreme. I'm on my second IUD, and the second insertion was shockingly unpleasant compared to my first insertion, and I was crampy and uncomfortable for the rest of the day, but woke up the next day feeling normal. I only had regular ol' Tylenol and used a hot water bottle the day of. The first one I'd gotten 3 months post partum, so it was a breeze, and thus why the second insertion was so different. It wasn't my favorite day of the year, but well worth it not having to deal with other methods. I plan on getting the Essure done as soon as my insurance covers it [though hearing about that drug cocktail freaks me out - I'm extremely pill phobic!]

My cramping only lasted three days, and it wasn't continuous - the first day was pretty much all morning, then all evening. The next day it didn't start until evening. By Friday, it didn't kick in until mid-afternoon and only lasted an hour. Haven't felt anything since. Tylenol (3 of them at a time) pretty much took care of most of the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by cinny~lou View Post
    ^ Pain for WEEKS? Vicodin? Wow. I didn't realize it was so...involved? Invasive?
    She may have a low pain tolerance. I don't know her that well and only heard her tell of it. But she also hasn't had children, and I hear it's more painful that way.

^ The copper ones are probably less flexible than Mirena as well, so I be that contributed to the increased pain experience.

^ Ha, TRUE.

The first time I had to have a biopsy (which hurts way, way more than an IUD) I wasn't told to do anything special, and when the nurse walked in she was all "Oh, you look REALLY calm considering what's about to happen." That should have been my sign to run very fast out that door, but ignorant me just sat there wondering "What was she going on about?" Five minutes later, I was trying to restrain myself from kicking my doctor straight in the face for not warning me what to expect.

As for an IUD, I really don't think it's something you would ever need to be knocked out for though. The worst pain is short-lived. Excruciating, yes, but short-lived. If it took ten minutes to do, then yes, they'd have to knock you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    If an IUD hurts so fucking bad, why don't they knock you out to put it in? At the very least give you some happy juice? If this were men they'd have them on an OxyContin morphine valium drip and let them drink a fifth of Jack before they got there. WTF.
    That, and they'd get period leave.

And after that near-explanation of a biopsy, I feel VERY, VERY lucky never to have had to have one and hope (but doubt) I'll stay that way!