Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: When people "bingo" you...

I'm getting pressured by FACEBOOK. I have no idea if it's just my age and gender, or if something in my profile points to babies, but every day there are adverts in the sidebar related to motherhood. Pregnancy services, daycare options, fertilization clinics. Today (i just posted this in STFU) there's one for maternity T-shirts with the slogan: "I grow people! What's your superpower?"

WTF is this, FB? Stop trying to pigeonhole me! I keep "thumbs-downing" all those ads but they show up every day. It's really weird.

^^FB does the same thing to me. While I have a child, I certainly don't have the need to look at pregnant bellies on the sidebar every time I log in. The fertility ones crack me up. Maybe they see that my child is six and since I only have one I must want more but have been unable?? I keep clicking on the "offensive" option but they still appear daily.

Tomorrow is another day cinny~lou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkleMotion View Post
    I keep clicking on the "offensive" option but they still appear daily.
    I would do the SAME thing!

Quote Originally Posted by kristen View Post
    "I grow people! What's your superpower?"
    I think the correct response to this one is "minding my own fucking business". Or "punching your heart out through your chest", I'm not sure.

^LOL

Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash View Post
    I'm getting pressured by FACEBOOK.
    I think it's because my sister's been posting stuff about her wedding on my page and I've talked about it too, but I've gotten a ton of ads that are wedding-related and baby-related, moreso than usual.

WHAT? SOMEONE SAID THE W WORD? TROT OUT THE BABY ADS!

I love this postsecret post today not just because of the secret shared, but because of the suggestion of what prompted it: MIL constantly bugging couple about pregnancy.

(though I guess it's NOT NICE to make fun of your spouse's sexual predilections, but that aside...)

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar

Yup, that'll make her stop asking!
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

I'll file it away for future use with my relatives. Not that the situation is applicable to me, but I've already had to remind my grandmother that not only do I not want kids, but even if I wanted them I'd have to go on fertility treatments galore. Kind of hard to imagine how my partner and I would be in the whole trying-to-have-a-kid bunch when the mere thought of a child repulses him on many levels.

I thought of this thread when i saw that postsecret too ^^. haha.
    I always liked a good storm.

these days just seem to crush me
    my response to "why don't you want children?" is usually "because we can't afford to have children." unless if my (future) husband are I are making a shit-ton of money, i'm not having children. I would like to be able to live comfortably, and be able to raise a child. i won't delude myself into thinking we'll be pulling in over 6 figures any time in the near future.

maybe some people find that selfish - to want to have nice things for myself/spoil myself, have a nice house, etc on top of having a child, but whatever. i don't want all my money is going to support my child, that's for sure.

now, if we win the lottery, maybe i'll consider adopting. the thought of something growing in me also disgusts me.

Agreed. That whole "life growing inside of my belly" thing is really scary. It reminds me of alien movies.
    I always liked a good storm.

these days just seem to crush me
    i do want to add that both my boyfriend and I came from lower middle-class families. Not dirt-poor, or anything. but - growing up, we didn't have nice things or nice cars. we couldn't get the latest and greatest toys and things all the other kids had , and our families sure as hell never traveled ANYWHERE (excpet maybe wisconsin and indiana, fun stuff!) and most of my wardrobe was hand-me-downs, so yeah. we're just in the position now that we have some money to spoil ourselves with things and trips, and a child would screw that up.

i'm not saying i wish we had tons of money growing up - spoiled children can certainly brats, but i want to ensure if we did have a child, we would have the financial means to support the child and give him/her the opportunities we did not have.

i wanted to say that so that i don't sound so greedy and selfish in my last post.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    i dont think its sounds selfish or greedy. its nice to have some nice things. no one thinks youre rocking it paris hilton style, but is nice to have things that youve paid for with money youve earned. i appreciate all that stuff. i didnt grown up with money and spent a big chunk of my adulthood living the life of frugality if you will. now that my partner and i finally earn decent money and have some disposable income--buy better food, pay off vacations in one straight shot, im reveling. i dont want to be skint because im raising a kid and be skint we would be. its no fucking joke to afford kids. we dont have families with loads of money being thrown at us either, so it would be all us all the time. no thanks. call it selfish or whatever but early retirement sounds a lot nicer to me than parenthood.

I know exactly what you mean, Jessy. My sister actually does feel like she wants kids but she's in your boat: financially, she wants to be at a certain point before she can even consider it and she feels like that may never happen. Obviously "planning" only gets you so far with having a kid- you can't predict everything- but because of the way we grew up, my sister wants to avoid some trauma. My family has a totally fucked approach to money/parenting that actually culminated in a really traumatic event for us when we were teenagers. I went from being totally covered for my undergrad education to having about $50 in the bank for my college fund overnight. Kind of fucks up your approach to having kids.

Knowing what you want to do with your life, the way you want to live it, and how you want to spend the money you've earned isn't selfish if that means you decide against having a kid. When did we get to a point where having a kid suddenly becomes this perfect, selfless act worthy of praise? Lots of the moms and dads I know are thrilled about their kid(s), are amazing parents, love nearly every second of it, etc.... but none of them is looking for a fucking merit badge because of their life choice, nor would they ever think there was something wrong with someone saying "I don't want to spend my time/money/energy on a kid. Ever."