Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Have One On Me Discussion

Have One On Me Discussion

Figured I would get the ball rolling in here - no need to split threads by disc just yet, I don't think.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    What a crap album.

I am still marvelling at it. Had a little break from it but will get right back into it before I go see her in September

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Oh and nice new avatar Kari!

Recently got the record on vinyl; it's fucking gorgeous. The record has yet to really sink in for me, but I am loving it so far.

Still the best record of the year so far. I love it from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by LaddyOwen View Post
    Still the best record of the year so far. I love it from start to finish.
    Me too. I listened to it on the plane on the way home from tip to tail and just loved every single second. Even the songs I'm not wild about were an absolute joy (though that could have been due to the tranquilizers!). I haven't heard anything this year that's come close.

I think I said this at some point in the previous HOOM discussion, but part of what makes me love this album so much is that it's not Ys 2.0. It seems like she very consciously chose to work with styles, musically and lyrically, that both did something different from Ys but still stayed true to her aesthetic. I've always thought that trying to make a new album without repeating yourself would be hard, but she pulled it off like gangbusters. Yet another leaf in her book of amazing. .
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

"Go Long" could very well be my Song of the Year. It's nesting in my soul.
    The most painful state of living is remembering the future.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G. View Post
    Recently got the record on vinyl; it's fucking gorgeous. The record has yet to really sink in for me, but I am loving it so far.
    Isn't it just beautiful on Vinyl? I got it that way too. It's such a treat to open an look through.

Absolutely gorgeous album. Infinitely better than Ys, in my opinion. Breathtaking production, beautifully sequenced, and just all around wonderful.

I am still having a bit of a hard time with disc 3, but I love this album overall. I cannot believe how "You and Me, Bess" has grabbed me. It's sort of the same thing that happened with "Monkey & Bear" before -- I couldn't stand it at first, then it became my favorite.

I wish I liked "Esme" and "Ribbon Bows" more. They're the two I struggle with. I love "Autumn" but it's a bit slow and I have to be in the right mood for it.

"Go Long" is, for me, probably the best thing she's ever done. What an amazing song.

I have a playlist on my iPod with all the 2010 releases I've downloaded/purchased. It's amazing to hear the songs out of context, they stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Isn't it just beautiful on Vinyl? I got it that way too. It's such a treat to open an look through.
    Yes! It wasn't too much more expensive than the CD either, which was an extra bonus. She really put time into the artwork and presentation

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    It's a Great & Beautiful Album but I'm not entirely comfortable with it ("yet"). The best songs encapsulate a pitiful sort of devestation so intensely and perfectly that I find myself wary of listening, in the same way I dont find myself spinning Me And A Gun or Tracy Chapman's Behind the Wall all that often - Go Long and Jackrabbits particulary embody this to me. Amazing pieces of music but I have to factor in considerable recovery time after playing them.

Whereas, to illustrate the contrast, Emily and Only Skin can have me in tears but leave me feeling refreshed and soothed by the end. Go Long can have me in tears and then leaves me feeling totally fckin miserable at the end. Which is a different experience.
    Last edited by other pete; 06-16-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post

Whereas, to illustrate the contrast, Emily and Only Skin can have me in tears but leave me feeling refreshed and soothed by the end. Go Long can have me in tears and then leaves me feeling totally fckin miserable at the end. Which is a different experience.
    Really? I have never felt "soothed" at the end of Only Skin. I am usually sobbing. LOL!

I do think there's bitterness in this record that didn't exist on Ys, though. All the songs on Ys, despite their sadness/intensity, have this sort of amazing innocence and sense of wonder to them. I think both records are extraordinary musical/lyrical/artistic statements.