Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Have One On Me Discussion

america last
    there's a stray tweet from Francesconi somewhere saying Joanna didn't like the final product.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    "Soft As Chalk" is one of her best songs.

I couldn't get into her first two albums but I'm loving this album.

Quietly weeping to Esme while I wait for my Divers vinyl to arrive.

I think HOOM is the rare triple album that actually justifies its format and length perfectly, and Newsom has woven so many disparate threads into it, that it makes a perfect piece of work as a whole. That being said, here's a fun exercise: How would you cut Have One on Me as a single-disc album?

I don't know how I didn't know this, and maybe I missed it somewhere in this very thread, but I didn't realize that lines from Baby Birch came from the children's book The Runaway Bunny. I saw it, of all places, on a Humans of New York post about a woman whose 7 year old son died of cancer.

“I think I have post traumatic stress. I have so many horrible flashbacks. Two weeks after Max was diagnosed, he asked me if I’d be his Mommy forever. I said, ‘Of course I will.’ And he asked: ‘Even when I’m ninety?’ And I told him ‘yes.’ What was I supposed to say? And there were all the times he talked to me about the future. We’d talk about college. I just couldn’t tell him. God I was such a coward. I should have told him. I just couldn’t do it. Even toward the end. The day before he lost consciousness, I read his favorite book to him. It’s called Runaway Bunny. And the little bunny keeps threatening to run away. And the Mama bunny keeps saying: ‘Wherever you go, I will find you.’ Oh God, it was such a horrible way to die. He couldn’t speak or move or swallow or see. He basically starved to death. And the whole last week I’m whispering in his ear: ‘Let go, let go. Please Max, let go.’ My seven-year-old son. I’m telling him to let go. I mean, fuck. That’s not supposed to happen! And the whole time I never told him he was dying. I was such a coward. But he knew. He knew without me telling him. Because a couple weeks before he lost his speech, he asked me: ‘Mommy, do they speak English where I’m going?’”
    Ugh, now I have to listen to Baby Birch and be sad again.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    OMFG Ryan, I read the same thing and I cried my dumb face off. Baby Birch was the first thing I thought of. I knew the reference - my mom read it to me and so did my grandmother.

ETA: I actually read that book to my friend's kid and almost lost my entire shit.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Thanks guys. Now I'm crying in public.

america last
    HEY HEY HEY THE END IS NEAR

i haven't needed comfort/catharsis jo in a while
    Last edited by Andrew; 11-09-2016 at 10:31 PM.

^ "Esme" has been doing it for me.

Kindness prevails.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by take_offs View Post
    Kindness prevails.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    You guys I think I'm just realizing how amazing Soft As Chalk is. Like, whoa.

7 years later and just now learned that the fox picking off the goldfish in their sorry "golden state" is a pun.

7 years later... and I feel I'm hearing No Provenance for the first time. I never heard the rythym before as remotely interesting, but it's got a jazzy level I never thought about. She's incredible!